Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California vs Florida vs Hawaii which state has the best looking palm trees
California 20 20.00%
Florida 32 32.00%
Hawaii 48 48.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times

Advertisements

Technicaly South Florida is not tropical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Florida has plenty of Washintonia's also.

hollywood fl - Google Maps

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Technicaly South Florida is not tropical.
Techically it is even though it is not in the tropics. So based on physical location it is not. But based on the math of what is tropical and was is not. South Florida is tropical.

Miami is certainly on the border of where a tropical climate struggles to be maintined with the sudden cold air blast which once or twice a year do come down to Miami. But the math does make it tropical. It is interesting though because I have seen Miami is a AM climate a Tropical Monsoon climate or AW Tropical Wet/Dry season. The two different types are similar but still interesting. Miami is just about the most North Tropical area in the world and we can certainly thank the Gulfstream, small peninsula and everglades for that.

Hawaii certainly has the best palms since they are very natural to the area and Hawaii is in the tropics. Then I would give it to Florida for mostly South Florida where there are some great areas of palm trees. Californias are not bad but I am not a big fan of those tall skinny ones or the short "bush" like ones so much.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4...mapusa2yv3.png

Climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2012, 12:52 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
aren't the palms in la dying and being replaced with oaks?

i go with hawaii or florida. they both look similar enough to me.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 AM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
aren't the palms in la dying and being replaced with oaks?

i go with hawaii or florida. they both look similar enough to me.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...uIiSdr98NK2-Qw
As I've said before I'm not a big fan of palms so to me this is good news

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,024 times
I think this is a silly question since all palm trees are beautiful.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Techically it is even though it is not in the tropics. So based on physical location it is not. But based on the math of what is tropical and was is not. South Florida is tropical.

Miami is certainly on the border of where a tropical climate struggles to be maintined with the sudden cold air blast which once or twice a year do come down to Miami. But the math does make it tropical. It is interesting though because I have seen Miami is a AM climate a Tropical Monsoon climate or AW Tropical Wet/Dry season. The two different types are similar but still interesting. Miami is just about the most North Tropical area in the world and we can certainly thank the Gulfstream, small peninsula and everglades for that.

Hawaii certainly has the best palms since they are very natural to the area and Hawaii is in the tropics. Then I would give it to Florida for mostly South Florida where there are some great areas of palm trees. Californias are not bad but I am not a big fan of those tall skinny ones or the short "bush" like ones so much.
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/4...mapusa2yv3.png

Climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

South Florida is Subtropical. Just above the tropic of cancer.

File:World map with tropic of cancer.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...uIiSdr98NK2-Qw
As I've said before I'm not a big fan of palms so to me this is good news
Still don't get why people would want to replace those palms with oaks. I get it, more shade. But how hot does Coastal SoCal get in the 1st place? Palms are so iconic in LA. Why replace it with one of the most common trees in the US?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

It's a different type of Sub-Tropical. Places like Atlanta and Charlotte are considered sub-tropical, yet they get the typical 4-seasons. The main complaint I hear from people against SoFla is it's lack of 4-seasons.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:

Ok yes in physical location South Florida is not in the tropics just as I said. But that is NOT how climates are classified. There are plenty of areas in the tropics which do not get tropical climate. Again if you want to go by the simplied "tropics" yes Miami is not tropical. If you want to go by science and how climates are actually classified Miami is mot certainly a tropical climate. Key West is not in the tropics, the Bahamas are not in the tropics.

That being the case you are telling me Miami and South Carolina have the same climate? Or even Miami and Jacksonville. They are very different climates. There are other tropical locations that are not in the tropics which are tropical. And there locations in the tropics which are not tropical due to elevation. Temperature and Rain Fall is what climates are on based on.

But this has been debated enough (too much) in the Miami threads. If you want to beleive the tropics map thats your choice. I will take the math/science. As shown in the maps I posted, Miami is without a doubt is classified as a tropical climate. There is a difference between "tropics" and "tropical" or "tropical Climate" One has to do with location and sun light. The other has to do with temperature and rainfall. One is a location, the other is a climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.