U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,813,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Detroit has not come back, in fact its getting worse. Cleveland is not on that list however and it has made a comeback. Pittsburg is a great example of a comeback city. Im from Michigan too and I wish Detroit could be there, but I dont ever expect it to be there. The problems there are too deep and severe. There are some parts of Detroit that look like the post-war photos of Europe and Japan, and 1/3 of it is already completly abandoned. Detroits suburbs are nice, but Detroit proper is almost hopeless.
really? detroit is almost hopeless? get lost troll. Detroit hasn't come back YET. you don't wish anything for Detroit ALL of your posts are bashing Detroit but yet you don't live here no anywhere close smh
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 AM

6,527 posts, read 7,483,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
really? detroit is almost hopeless? get lost troll. Detroit hasn't come back YET. you don't wish anything for Detroit ALL of your posts are bashing Detroit but yet you don't live here no anywhere close smh
I am not a troll for a post describing what Detroit is really like. You cannot deny Detroit is 1/3 abandonded or that it is filled with corruption and crime. You cannot deny that the real Detroit is in its suburbs, that is where the life is, that is where things are built, that is where good law abiding/productive people live. For a city to be considered as being a comeback city the inner core of the city must be on the mend. Detroit is far from that, and its future looks very bleak. Some have even suggested that in 50 years it will be nearly completly abandoned. ( although even I doubt that valuable river frontage will be forgoten) If you want to see what a true revival city looks like visit Cleveland or Pittsburg. Those cities are revival cities, Detroit on the other hand is more of a warning to other troubled towns on how bad things can get. Any one who doubts what I am posting need only to google "the ruins of Detroit" and there will be youtube videos displaying the mayhem and wreckage that is modern Detroit.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:50 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
That's not true. The manufacturing industry is coming back strong and things are picking up here in Michigan. Jobs are much easier to come across and the unemployment rate is going down. Detroit is doing a lot better these days, but it has been going up in the last 3-5 years instead of 40 years. That's the difference. Obviously the ruins of Detroit are still going to be there, and also.. Detroit is one of the most sensationalized city in the world. Obviously if you search youtube you're going to get a bunch of hipsters who think they're so cool taking pictures of the bad parts of Detroit so they can brag to all their hipster friends that they had a PBR there.

What they tend to leave out is the downtown that is beginning to grow more, the industry that is getting better and the jobs that are coming back.

Where exactly do you live? I'm really confused how you say the future looks bleak. It is general opinion around there that things are really beginning to look up for Detroit.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's not true. The manufacturing industry is coming back strong and things are picking up here in Michigan. Jobs are much easier to come across and the unemployment rate is going down. Detroit is doing a lot better these days, but it has been going up in the last 3-5 years instead of 40 years. That's the difference. Obviously the ruins of Detroit are still going to be there, and also.. Detroit is one of the most sensationalized city in the world. Obviously if you search youtube you're going to get a bunch of hipsters who think they're so cool taking pictures of the bad parts of Detroit so they can brag to all their hipster friends that they had a PBR there.

What they tend to leave out is the downtown that is beginning to grow more, the industry that is getting better and the jobs that are coming back.

Where exactly do you live? I'm really confused how you say the future looks bleak. It is general opinion around there that things are really beginning to look up for Detroit.

I live in the saginaw vallley, so Im about 100 miles from Detroit. I think you misunderstood me when I said there is no hope. There is improvement in Michigans auto industry and SUBURBAN Detroit is doing better. Detroits suburbs have never been run down. Detroit proper has very little manufacturing left in it, very few jobs. When I am talking about Detroit being hopeless I am talking about Detroit proper, not its suburbs. Detroits suburbs seem to go on with normal life while a few miles away you have complete mayhem inside the city proper. I have relatives that live in the metro Detroit area and they never go inside the city, except every once in a while to see a baseball game. You say your from Michgian, and im betting you are from one of Detroits burbs. If you are how often do you enter Detroit city limits??? Most people who live there dont do it very often.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
Quote:
I live in the saginaw vallley, so Im about 100 miles from Detroit. I think you misunderstood me when I said there is no hope. There is improvement in Michigans auto industry and SUBURBAN Detroit is doing better. Detroits suburbs have never been run down. Detroit proper has very little manufacturing left in it, very few jobs. When I am talking about Detroit being hopeless I am talking about Detroit proper, not its suburbs. Detroits suburbs seem to go on with normal life while a few miles away you have complete mayhem inside the city proper. I have relatives that live in the metro Detroit area and they never go inside the city, except every once in a while to see a baseball game. You say your from Michgian, and im betting you are from one of Detroits burbs. If you are how often do you enter Detroit city limits??? Most people who live there dont do it very often.

No no no, I am from the good side of Michigan I'm from West Michigan haha. I can give you that much, at this point in time there isn't much reason to live within Detroit proper. I do think that if the citizens of Detroit can vote for people not based on race, things can begin to change.

As Michigan's economy begins to grow more and more, we'll definitely see revival in the Detroit area. I don't think it is hopeless at all, it just just VERY far back. If New Orleans can make a big revival, so can Detroit.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
No no no, I am from the good side of Michigan I'm from West Michigan haha. I can give you that much, at this point in time there isn't much reason to live within Detroit proper. I do think that if the citizens of Detroit can vote for people not based on race, things can begin to change.

As Michigan's economy begins to grow more and more, we'll definitely see revival in the Detroit area. I don't think it is hopeless at all, it just just VERY far back. If New Orleans can make a big revival, so can Detroit.

West Michigan is nice, but there are some nice areas in east Michigan too. Ever been to the thumb??? Nice and quiet, some really nice beach towns on Lake Huron as well. Living here in the central part of the state I can go either way to get to the water with about the same amount of driving, so sometimes I go west, sometimes east. While Ill admit Lk Mi side has better beaches, east michigan side is more laid back and relaxed. (north of Port Huron) I know most people in west Michigan think that all of east mi is no good because they associate it with Detroit, but if you go north of I-69 it is very nice. East Mi is nice, its southeast mi that can be a pain. (even the good areas have alot of traffic/rat race)

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
Quote:
I am not a troll for a post describing what Detroit is really like. You cannot deny Detroit is 1/3 abandonded or that it is filled with corruption and crime. You cannot deny that the real Detroit is in its suburbs, that is where the life is, that is where things are built, that is where good law abiding/productive people live. For a city to be considered as being a comeback city the inner core of the city must be on the mend. Detroit is far from that, and its future looks very bleak. Some have even suggested that in 50 years it will be nearly completly abandoned. ( although even I doubt that valuable river frontage will be forgoten) If you want to see what a true revival city looks like visit Cleveland or Pittsburg. Those cities are revival cities, Detroit on the other hand is more of a warning to other troubled towns on how bad things can get. Any one who doubts what I am posting need only to google "the ruins of Detroit" and there will be youtube videos displaying the mayhem and wreckage that is modern Detroit.
Look, I'll honestly tell you that I haven't toured the city of Detroit enough to know how desolate and hopeless it really may be (as you say) compared to Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but here in Clevelnd (where I now live -- on the East Side), I have seen area after area after area that looks so so so sad, bombed out, hopeless, and basically, f'd up that it can literally affect my mood! I would not give Cleveland a "we're reviving" pass quite so fast -- it's still an absolute abomination in some parts of town. Please please PLEASE do not take this comment as any indication of Cleveland's recovery, because it is definitely recovering....but it's FAR from recovered!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 AM

958 posts, read 924,387 times
This list made me laugh so hard. El Paso? Denver? Arlington? Then you've got DC and Boston which have never not been popular cities, to name a few.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 AM

323 posts, read 422,313 times
Mpls--comeback? Comeback from what? It's always been pretty solid/stable. If there was a major dip in anything, I must've missed it somehow.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM

7,750 posts, read 6,167,408 times
S/O to Detroit. I really hope the city comes back better than before. Being from Baltimore, I can certainly empathize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.