U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 PM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Someone with no interest in life has no business living it. Any person who has never traveled once in their life is a mindblowing concept to me. How could that person appreciate the gift of life? Why not just go jump off a bridge? Seriously, what is the use?
Perhaps these people know, instinctively, the wise old saying: Travel makes you more wise and less happy!

Envy: my gandfather who never left his county, still found the hill country breath-taking til' his last days.

Pity: Me! Been around the world, lived in 5 different regions of the country, and my happiness, where art thou?

I'm the black sheep that left MN, and I hear the main excuses why none others leave: Family!

Huh! I follow these people on Facebook, they're all so busy, scrambling to make a living, how many times do they see each others? Xmas, always! Other than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 AM

364 posts, read 572,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Not to mention people that have never been to Dayton, let alone northern Ohio. I know a few people that have NEVER been outside of the immediate tri-state area.
You took the words out of my mouth. I thought it was bad when I met people (and quite a few I must say) that have never been to Cleveland. Then I met people that have never been to Dayton and refer to Dayton as "up north" as if it were hours away. I also know two adults, one in her thirties and a guy in his forties who have never been to Kentucky. I don't look down on these people however, but it is hard for me to fathom how some people can be so apathetic to the rest of the world. I think I would literally go crazy.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,792,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I'm not one to "pledge my allegiance" to one particular area or state...This doesn't mean that I don't care about where I live or enjoy where I live. But I try to stay objective. This way I can look at some of the problems that need to be "fixed" and resolved too. I don't want to wear "rose colored glasses" in other words...And I always want to feel "free" to move too! (If a new area seems to be "calling out" to me!)...I want to put down some roots wherever I live but I don't want to become a "pot-bound plant" with no room to grow or expand because my life has become "too small" in one particular area..."Same old, same old" everyday is boring.
yes, life is too short. There are many many places to see, and new things to learn. No place is perfect, but I like to be open minded and learn instead of sit in a rocking chair and pretend one little area is a haven.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 PM

6,085 posts, read 8,381,954 times
I can see this both ways. I'm from a small town in VA. The average person's life ambition there is to get married, have kids, and stay put! I managed to get through college, but I married my college sweetheart at 24. I had always imagined living somewhere else, but I was scared to think of leaving the safety of my small town and friends and family I had known my entire life.

By 26 I was divorced from my cheating husband and at 27 I moved to Denver and here I am now! I cannot imagine my life if I stayed in the same small town forever. I have a better job here, have met a lot of great new friends, and there is so much more to do and see than where I'm from. Sometimes I find myself looking down on those who choose to stay, and then I remember, hey! That was me too. I hope that everyone can do what makes them happy and works for them. Some people are happy staying in the same place, some aren't, some move somewhere else, and some stay in the same place out of fear of the unknown. I always thought moving was impossible, but it wasn't that hard once I really did it.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,610,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
yes, life is too short. There are many many places to see, and new things to learn. No place is perfect, but I like to be open minded and learn instead of sit in a rocking chair and pretend one little area is a haven.
Even if a place is a little slice of heaven how can one appreciate it if you never have seen or lived in someplace else to compare it to.

I don't necessarily look down on folks who haven't ever moved in their lives but I certainly know that all the moves I've made; arriving in a city with few connections or resources and the moxie one needs to finds in one's self having to establish a whole new life there, have been paramount in my own self development as a curious and confident person.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 AM

958 posts, read 923,707 times
Without a doubt I see this happening. The funny thing is, I have much more respect for somebody who holds down a neighborhood and stays even if they don't have to than for somebody who thinks they're better than others because they move around.

Other people may need to move around and live in different places in order to grow and mature and all of that but not all of us do. Not all of us are sheltered or ignorant of places unless we live there.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 23,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Some don't have the economic or educational resources to make a move.

One time, I was driving from the Quebec-NY border to Syracuse, and decided to cut across diagonally from Lake Placid NY toward Syracuse NY, going through the small towns. It was a real eye opener talking to some of the locals. Some have never been to NYC, which they refer to as down-state, and some talk about it with "discomfort." They seem real content to live simple lives.

It is downstate if you are upstate. Sometime talk to the people in NY City about what they think of the Upstaters. Ever see "King of Queens" when Doug and Carrie went "Upstate?" That is the attitude. Upstaters to them all play banjos, go barefoot, and marry their cousins.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,206,869 times
I've moved many times during my adult life, although its never been more than about 400 miles from where I was raised. It's not that we are opposed to moving elsewhere, it just happens to be where hubbys work has taken us. We've actually tried to get overseas assignments, etc but he is very specialized in his field, and it keeps us relatively close to our home area of the country. I don't care what others do, or where they live. Whatever makes you happy.

The ones I do tend to look down on are people, such as members of my own family, who refuse to move even when they have a great opportunity elsewhere, and they are starving where they currently are. I have a BIL that really needs to find employment. His business went under a couple of years ago, and he and his family are literally starving, but he lives within 10 miles of where he was born and raised and will not leave. They are about to have their home foreclosed on, but he doesn't care. He's had offers of good jobs, just 100 miles away, but he refuses to leave. In my mind, that's just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or