Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That is the most insanely stupid thing Ive ever heard, so you are somehow better than me because you've lived in more places, so much so I don't deserve a basic right.
On the flip side people who haven't moved could people who move shouldn't have the right to vote in local or state elections because they haven't lived there long enough to understand the state.
I love this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I have lived in 7 states as an adult. Am I proud of this? I never thought about it, but why not? I had the gumption to pick up and transport my life to 7 different states, find and establish a home and create a new community of friends. These events have had a significant impact in making me the person I am today.

Do I look down on folks who have never moved? No. Their decision to stay put has had a significant impact on making those people who they are today. If they are happy with their lives - good on them!

How about you OP? You asked the question. If it intrigues you enough to open a thread, surely you have some thoughts.
I pretty much agree with this. As an adult, I've lived in New York, California, Illinois, France, Argentina, and Tunisia. The experiences I've gained from living in vastly different places has made me who I am today, and for me, it was something I needed to do in order to grow as a person and figure who I wanted to be. That being said, I know people who have never moved, and many of them are awesome, intelligent, open-minded, and truly happy people. I also know a few people who have lived all over the world, never quite found what they were looking for in life, and are still miserable. As long as someone is living happily and not hurting anyone in the process, there is no reason to look down at them.

And to the person who said people who live in the same place their entire life should be euthanized...well, I hope you never move anywhere near me because I enjoy living near decent human beings.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:32 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
I'm not one to "pledge my allegiance" to one particular area or state...This doesn't mean that I don't care about where I live or enjoy where I live. But I try to stay objective. This way I can look at some of the problems that need to be "fixed" and resolved too. I don't want to wear "rose colored glasses" in other words...And I always want to feel "free" to move too! (If a new area seems to be "calling out" to me!)...I want to put down some roots wherever I live but I don't want to become a "pot-bound plant" with no room to grow or expand because my life has become "too small" in one particular area..."Same old, same old" everyday is boring.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
My question of you who have spent your life living in different regions of the country, do you, secretly, deep inside, even though you want to resist the feeling, look down on those who have never relocated? Do you view moving across the country as a badge of pride? For those of you who have lived in the same place (or within 300 miles) all of your life, do you look upon those who have relocated as being arrogant about it?
I'm 60. I've lived in 3 states and the District of Columbia. 98 percent of friends and family have never lived outside of a 30 mile radius even though they have made moves within that raduis. Their opinions of places are colored by a biased media and vacations to places with a lot of other tourists just like them. They don't even get around their own respective states much for day trips. When I was working, I also traveled out of state a lot for work and a few times for pleasure. I would try to go early in the morning so I could use my travel day to see stuff when I arrived. I've been to 33 states and many of them by driving so I see more of the state.

How can I look down on them if they are long-time friends (and one relative)?If they're happy entrenched in one area, I'm happy for them. It's just not for me.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Someone with no interest in life has no business living it. Any person who has never traveled once in their life is a mindblowing concept to me. How could that person appreciate the gift of life? Why not just go jump off a bridge? Seriously, what is the use?
A lot of people "jump off the bridge" in San Franciso. I bet they didn't live there their whole short life, either.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I view moving as a huge pain in my life and I could care less what anyone else does, that is their decision and their life.
Moving IS a pain. Living somewhere else is not.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I grew up in an upper middle class family and my parents had never lived outside of the area. I don't see any problem at all from this, they wanted us kids to know their grandparents, aunts and uncles and all of their friends. I think this is something that was very nice, we never had to move to different states in the middle of a school year and meet new friends either.

That being said, I am a person who has no problems moving whatsoever. Do I look down on my parents for not moving? Absolutely not, and I think that if someone did look down on them for not moving out of the state, they have some serious issues.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
He didn't say MORE places, he said any other places at all.

I agree with him. What kind of person never goes anywhere? This is a free country, you have the right to go almost anywhere in the world. See and experience things you never ever would in a million years back home. Meet people who are from radically different backgrounds. Try new things. Do something besides work, go home, and go to the same bar on Friday and church on Sunday. What kind of brain dead, unimaginative, un-alive person would never choose to go anywhere? People like that should be euthanized.

People like you really **** me off. You think you have life all figured out and you can press your views on whoever you want, and if they don't think exactly like you they are wrong. I bet you consider yourself an "enlightened and open minded person" too don't you? What's funny is that you're more close minded than probably most of the people you look down upon. What a pathetic and elitist person you are. Just remember, there's always someone better than you, always someone who has done more than you.

Also, even an idiot can read the OP and see that the OP is talking about moving, not traveling. I think it is safe to say that many people who have lived in the same place their entire lives have still traveled. Don't worry, I'm sure anyone with your brain capacitity to think like you surely wouldn't have been able to answer a question correctly.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Interesting question. I have lived in Kentucky all my life, since July I have been dating someone in Cincinanti. The church we go to up there is filled with lots of people who are from Kentucky or whose parents were from there. Most of those people are in Ohio due to the large South to North migration that lasted from the 1900s to 1960s.

The way those people feel about Kentucky is amazing different than the way the younger generations I know back home feel. The Ohiotuckians view KY as been very backward, a place with no good jobs. Even though most of them are rapid Kentucky Wildcat fans they say they would never move back.

I was born in 1983 and have always lived when Kentucky has been vastly out gaining Ohio in both population and jobs. People I know in Kentucky view Ohio as a rust belt state filled with abandoned buildings and racial tensions. Most would never consider moving anywhere in the North, if they move out of state it's to Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, or Florida. I actually know a lot of native Ohioans down here who hate Ohio and consider themselves Kentuckians. They bemoan the unfriendly people and high taxes in their birth state.

So that's an interesting take on both the old South to North Migration and the newer North to South Migration.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 AM

860 posts, read 1,356,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Interesting question. I have lived in Kentucky all my life, since July I have been dating someone in Cincinanti. The church we go to up there is filled with lots of people who are from Kentucky or whose parents were from there. Most of those people are in Ohio due to the large South to North migration that lasted from the 1900s to 1960s.

The way those people feel about Kentucky is amazing different than the way the younger generations I know back home feel. The Ohiotuckians view KY as been very backward, a place with no good jobs. Even though most of them are rapid Kentucky Wildcat fans they say they would never move back.

I was born in 1983 and have always lived when Kentucky has been vastly out gaining Ohio in both population and jobs. People I know in Kentucky view Ohio as a rust belt state filled with abandoned buildings and racial tensions. Most would never consider moving anywhere in the North, if they move out of state it's to Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, or Florida. I actually know a lot of native Ohioans down here who hate Ohio and consider themselves Kentuckians. They bemoan the unfriendly people and high taxes in their birth state.

So that's an interesting take on both the old South to North Migration and the newer North to South Migration.
Kentucky ain't that bad, although there are some backwards elements about that place, the same can be said for Ohio. Although I must say, I feel much more uncomfortable in small town Kentucky than I do in small town Ohio. The growth in Northern Kentucky is amazing, but I still don't think it outpaces the growth in Ohio. There is ONE huge turn off for me about the Bluegrass state:

THE CREATION MUSEUM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.