U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,450 times

Advertisements

(If someone can direct me to an old thread that's looking for the same things as this one, I'll gladly leave this one to die.)

My family is looking to leave Florida, but they're not quite sure where to start looking. Naming specific cities/regions of states would be great, but any sort of guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Needs:

-Good high schools (average test scores = good)
-Cheap housing for a family of four (Parents and 2 teens); ≤$100,000 is ideal, but we can go up to about $125,000 if the location has a fairly low cost of living*
-Walkability, or close proximity to a walkable location
-Safety (I tend to like doing things by myself)

Wants:
-Open-minded populace, or at least one that won't make a big deal of out those who are "different"
-A generally mild/cooler climate. Florida weather has not been kind to us.
-"Introvert friendliness"**

Thank you for reading.

*We don't need anything extravagant. As long as the houses in that price range aren't falling apart, we'll be all right.
**Small coffee shops/cafes, libraries, quiet parks, etc. would be lovely, as would people who don't widen their eyes in fear when they hear "I'm not much of a people person".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 PM

870 posts, read 1,357,777 times
Minnesota or Wisconsin seem to fit best. I'm not sure about the cost of living, but places in these states (Madison, Twin Cities, etc.) seem to fit quite well.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
I would take a look at Bloomington, Indiana

It's very walkable, has good public transit, is very bike-friendly, has a good selection of decent/affordable housing, has a low crime rate, generally very good schools, an open-minded/liberal population, considerable parks/greenspace and plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, bookstores, libraries, etc.

About Bloomington
Bloomington, Indiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 AM

50 posts, read 119,601 times
I will definitely agree with the above posters. Madison, Twin Cities, and even Milwaukee or certain suburbs of Chicago could fit you well. Bloomington, Indiana is a good option but you might find it a little small. If that doesn't detract you, otherwise it is a good place to live. Here in West Lafayette is a great option too, especially for schools. The public high school is very highly ranked in the state of Indiana and has lots of advanced courses and such. I wouldn't describe West Lafayette as liberal but it is after all a college town and there are many liberal residents. I might add Seattle and Portland into the mix. The schools can be a hit or a miss but pretty much everywhere is quite liberal. They also might not be a great idea because they have high COL and home prices, especially Seattle.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 6,477,316 times
Vashon Island or just about anywhere on the Kitsap Peninsula north of Bremerton, or the northern Olympic Peninsula, all in Washington State.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:32 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Except for maybe winter, the Interior Northeast would work. Upstate NY, Western Massachusetts and Pennsylvania have places that would fit. At least for Upstate NY, Oneonta, Ithaca, Plattsburgh, Potsdam, Canton, Kenmore, eastern Irondequoit, Johnson City, Liverpool(village) and New Hartford, among others.

What about employment and potential activities for your children?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-11-2012 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,144,489 times
In addition to the excellent upstate NY, PA and western Mass suggestions, parts of West Virginia may also work, such as Charleston or Morgantown. Delaware may be another good option, especially if you want to stay relatively close to the coast. Of course, I would suggest making job considerations top priority, if you can't work remotely from home,

Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
I will definitely agree with the above posters. Madison, Twin Cities, and even Milwaukee or certain suburbs of Chicago could fit you well. Bloomington, Indiana is a good option but you might find it a little small. If that doesn't detract you, otherwise it is a good place to live. Here in West Lafayette is a great option too, especially for schools. The public high school is very highly ranked in the state of Indiana and has lots of advanced courses and such. I wouldn't describe West Lafayette as liberal but it is after all a college town and there are many liberal residents. I might add Seattle and Portland into the mix. The schools can be a hit or a miss but pretty much everywhere is quite liberal. They also might not be a great idea because they have high COL and home prices, especially Seattle.
I agree, West Lafayette is an excellent option as well. I would encourage the OP to perhaps focus on Midwest college towns as they provide a nice blend of family-friendliness, a more liberal vibe, typically very good schools, affordable living and a safe environment overall.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM

34,681 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilime View Post
(If someone can direct me to an old thread that's looking for the same things as this one, I'll gladly leave this one to die.)

My family is looking to leave Florida, but they're not quite sure where to start looking. Naming specific cities/regions of states would be great, but any sort of guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Needs:

-Good high schools (average test scores = good)
-Cheap housing for a family of four (Parents and 2 teens); ≤$100,000 is ideal, but we can go up to about $125,000 if the location has a fairly low cost of living*
-Walkability, or close proximity to a walkable location
-Safety (I tend to like doing things by myself)

Wants:
-Open-minded populace, or at least one that won't make a big deal of out those who are "different"
-A generally mild/cooler climate. Florida weather has not been kind to us.
-"Introvert friendliness"**

Thank you for reading.

*We don't need anything extravagant. As long as the houses in that price range aren't falling apart, we'll be all right.
**Small coffee shops/cafes, libraries, quiet parks, etc. would be lovely, as would people who don't widen their eyes in fear when they hear "I'm not much of a people person".
Nobody needs a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or