U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times

Advertisements

Nope. I can't even buy common curry powder or any kind of chutney in supermarkets. I have to order it online or have somebody bring me some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,360,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Rural areas will usually only have a bunch of chain restaurants or standard American staples like diners or pizzerias.
I'd say if your area has a bunch of chain restaurants it's not very rural.

For a small town with an extremely low-density area outside of it, we have a decent selection of restaurants. Between here and the next town we've got the usual Chinese/Sushi, Italian, and Mexican restaurants, but there are also two authentic Thai places that are quite popular, and an authentic Russian restaurant. There was an Indian place for awhile that most people liked, but it was too expensive and didn't make it. We've still got more pizza places than anything else, but a new bar/restaurant makes a really good hummus. Thai restaurants are very popular in Anchorage and Fairbanks, as is sushi. There's a Nepalese restaurant in Anchorage that I'd like to try, as it gets really good reviews.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,122,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Burritos are really Tex-Mex, for example, and not Mexican.
Wrong.

Burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There isn't even one single kind of burrito, there are different styles from around Mexico and the US. The earliest known ones were in Mexico, while the earliest known ones in the US were in LA. And thanks to chains like Chipotle, the most popular kind in the US (aside from Taco Bell of course) is probably the SF style burrito, not anything from Texas.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:42 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Definitely. St. Louis has a bunch of Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Indiana restaurants...Greek as well (Michael's).
Syracuse is like this, but add Spanish Caribbean, Jamaican, African(East and West), Middle Eastern, Polish/Ukrainian and some other European etnics foods.

Here are example from a somewhat dated website: cnymenus dot com CUISINE

Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM

32,378 posts, read 59,846,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Has the average Joe Schmoe in your town eaten sushi?
None of this is really any of my business. And I certainly wouldn't equate familiarity with hummus with desirable personality traits, or dare to make generalizations about someone's worth based on the foods they've tasted and/or prefer.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:22 AM

475 posts, read 400,238 times
In LA people know about all kind of foreign food, we have all kind of restaurants in this city.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:30 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
The Orlando area is by and large a culinary wasteland overrun with chain restaurants of every type. There are some ethnic offerings here with most comparing poorly to similar establishments in other more progressive cities. The farm-to-table/local foods movement which has been in place in most larger cities has yet to take hold here. The Orlando area has just one small legitimate farmers market where attendees are actually all farmers/producers and not fake farmers who buy their produce from the distribution center or are vendors selling flea market items. There are actually many farmers markets here without any legitimate farmers at all. How do you call it a farmers market without any farmers?
I mention the local food aspect because it's relevant to the level of the culinary scene in my opinion and speaks volumes about the demand for authenticity.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,008,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Orlando area is by and large a culinary wasteland overrun with chain restaurants of every type. There are some ethnic offerings here with most comparing poorly to similar establishments in other more progressive cities. The farm-to-table/local foods movement which has been in place in most larger cities has yet to take hold here. The Orlando area has just one small legitimate farmers market where attendees are actually all farmers/producers and not fake farmers who buy their produce from the distribution center or are vendors selling flea market items. There are actually many farmers markets here without any legitimate farmers at all. How do you call it a farmers market without any farmers?
I mention the local food aspect because it's relevant to the level of the culinary scene in my opinion and speaks volumes about the demand for authenticity.
After spending some time living in Orlando I have to agree it is much to Chain heavy when it comes to dining options.

There definitely are some gems though, I think Orlando has excellent Vietnamese especially around the "Little Saigon" area in East 50. Orlando is also strong in Puerto Rican and Colombian offerings. I can personally attest to some great Jamaican restaurants in Pine Hills as well, specifically Caribbean One Stop.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,490 posts, read 14,325,180 times
Odd question. Even in my little white bread area most of those things the OP listed are available (except maybe the stuff from central Europe and the dosa, had to look that up, they look delicious!), although I'm not sure they would be considered common. But sushi? Really? Is there anywhere you can't find sushi nowadays?

Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,340,040 times
Yes, there are areas where you can't find sushi. As far as I know, sushi is only available in the Metro area, Rochester, La Crosse (WI, but right next to MN), Duluth, and Brainerd, and there it's $12 / roll. If you're living in International Falls, MN (population 12k, but "metro" area considerably larger), the nearest place to get sushi is Duluth, MN, nearly three hours away. In Da Range, the nearest place is also Duluth, but that's only 1 - 1.5 hours away.

Plus, I asked how familiar the average person is with those items, based on your experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or