U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Places you've noticed have a palpable Portuguese, Azorean, and Brazilian presence
Rhode Island 3 13.04%
Massachusetts 6 26.09%
New York City 1 4.35%
New Jersey 6 26.09%
Washington DC/MD/NoVA 0 0%
Atlanta 2 8.70%
South Florida 1 4.35%
Los Angeles/So Cal 1 4.35%
SF Bay Area 1 4.35%
Hawaii 0 0%
Toronto 1 4.35%
Montreal 0 0%
Vancouver 0 0%
Somewhere else 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:37 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,604,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
my girl (who is Brasilian) could speak Portuguese exclusively if she wanted to. We had a Brasilian bakery, pizzeria, cafe, market, wiring agency, church, and welcome center all within a couple of blocks of our apartment.

Statistically, I believe Massachusetts and Rhode Island (combined) have the largest Portuguese population in the country...
A Brazilian pizzeria? Wow! Do the Brazilians call pasta "massa?" The Portuguese do. It's always sounded weird to me.

I'll bet the Portuguese are torqued that neither TAP nor Continental service Portugal from Boston Logan, and that they have to schlep to Newark to catch a flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
A Brazilian pizzeria? Wow! Do the Brazilians call pasta "massa?" The Portuguese do. It's always sounded weird to me.

I'll bet the Portuguese are torqued that neither TAP nor Continental service Portugal from Boston Logan, and that they have to schlep to Newark to catch a flight.
Na, it's called pizza here. The pizza is actually amazing...probably better than anything I've had in the US, but it's totally different. It's all what we would call "gourmet pizza" in the US. The pizza here doesn't have tomato sauce and it's very common for it to not even have cheese. I even tried some chocolate pizza a couple of weeks ago. One had M&Ms on it, another had strawberries, and another had bananas. Surprisingly, it was amazing. I thought I would hate it.

However when I say "Brasilian" pizza, it should probably be limited to "Paulista" (São Paulo) Pizza. From what I've been told, the pizza in the rest of the country is horrible. In Rio, they serve pizza with ketchup and mayonnaise. Yuck! haha

And yea, it doesn't really make much sense that there's no direct flights to Portugal. My cousin has dual-citizenship and travels there relatively frequently I believe. I haven't talked with him about the travel, but I'm sure it's a pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.