U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Places you've noticed have a palpable Portuguese, Azorean, and Brazilian presence
Rhode Island 3 13.04%
Massachusetts 6 26.09%
New York City 1 4.35%
New Jersey 6 26.09%
Washington DC/MD/NoVA 0 0%
Atlanta 2 8.70%
South Florida 1 4.35%
Los Angeles/So Cal 1 4.35%
SF Bay Area 1 4.35%
Hawaii 0 0%
Toronto 1 4.35%
Montreal 0 0%
Vancouver 0 0%
Somewhere else 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start a thread discussion on areas of the US & Canada with a large historical and influential Portuguese presence, also Azoreans, and more recently evolving Brazilian communities. I linked Brazilian and Portuguese together as Brazilians naturally have gravitated to places with a strong Portuguese presence as they share a common language. Here is some criteria to discuss and add anything relevant to the topic.

Best Portuguese food
Best Brazilian food
Communities where Portuguese, Azoreans, Brazilians (and or all of the above) have a large presence.
Communities with a large fishing and nautical base linked to Portuguese heritage.
Cultural impacts that Brazilian immigrants have made on some communities.

here is some info on wiki....
Portuguese American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Brazilian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 03-11-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM

14,752 posts, read 27,525,279 times
This question is all over the place, and you don't allow for multiple responses.

Portuguese are most found in MA, RI, CT and NJ, around Newark, and to a dwindling extent, in California's Central Valley, where the little towns take turns putting on festas during the summer. Part of the proof lies in the fact that TAP (the Portuguese airline) ONLY flies from Newark.

Brazilians have started to go everywhere, but they are big in South Florida and now in Atlanta.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Massachusetts is the most obvious, and probably the most well-known because of Emeril, lol, but we have long had a significant Portuguese community in Newark, NJ, in the area known as The Ironbound (because it's surrounded by train tracks). People who wouldn't set foot in other parts of Newark flock to the Ironbound because of the Portuguese restaurants. Lots of Brazilians have moved into the Ironbound in recent years.

There is now also a significant Brazilian population in Long Branch, NJ, one of the first seaside resorts and once a summer hangout for NY mobsters.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM

3,806 posts, read 4,998,065 times
I've read that Gloucester, Massachusetts has a lot of people with ancestors from the Azores.

I have noticed a fair number of Brazilian flags and signs in Portuguese in parts of Houtson, Texas.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM

6,920 posts, read 11,883,927 times
There was once a large Portuguese community in the Jingletown neighborhood of Oakland, IDK about present day.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
There was once a large Portuguese community in the Jingletown neighborhood of Oakland, IDK about present day.
Also in Fremont, Newark (CA) and Milpitas, if not San Jose proper.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
People who wouldn't set foot in other parts of Newark flock to the Ironbound because of the Portuguese restaurants. Lots of Brazilians have moved into the Ironbound in recent years.
Never had a bad meal in a Portuguese restaurant in Portugal, but trying to define Portuguese cuisine, for a non-Portuguese, is hard.

Do the Brazilians and the Portuguese like each other? This really tacky lady (too much jewelry) from Recife, Brazil was on the train next to me in Portugal and we talked quite a bit. She said "Nos Brasileiros temos mala fama aqui." I think I'm close with the spelling, but I got the idea, and the fact that these two peoples only share a language. Their temperments are so different.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:49 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I've read that Gloucester, Massachusetts has a lot of people with ancestors from the Azores.
Gloucester does indeed have a strong Portuguese and Azorean presence. They've been there for a long time drawn by nautical and fishing industries. One of my favorite restaurants in all of Mass. is the Azorean in Gloucester, a wonderful representation of Portuguese and Azorean cuisine with divine seafood.
Azorean Restaurant and Bar

Fall River and New Bedford on the South Coast of Mass, along with Provincetown on Cape Cod (all towns rooted in the fishing industry) have large Portuguese communities, and Fall River has the largest Azorean community outside of the Azores themselves. Anthony Bourdain did a show on the Azores, they look wonderful. He also did a stop in Fall River to meet with some Azoreans residing there.
http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-show...sodes/azores-1

Nearby Providence RI has a huge Portuguese and Brazilian community.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 03-11-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Fall River
THIS is the first place that comes to my mind when I think of the Portuguese in America.

We had some, not many, Portuguese and Brazilians in the LA area when I was growing up. All of the Portuguese were reserved and laid-back, at least compared to the Italians. The Brazilians were rowdy, in comparison.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:26 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,113,968 times
Eastern Mass, definitely. When I lived in Allston, my girl (who is Brasilian) could speak Portuguese exclusively if she wanted to. We had a Brasilian bakery, pizzeria, cafe, market, wiring agency, church, and welcome center all within a couple of blocks of our apartment. My former coworker (whose best friend is originally from São Paulo) told me in Everett there's a "Little Brasil", which is filled with restaurants, businesses, etc.

Another major Portuguese-oriented population is Cape Verdeans, which are prevalent in Eastern Mass and Rhode Island.

Statistically, I believe Massachusetts and Rhode Island (combined) have the largest Portuguese population in the country...Massachusetts has the largest Brasilian population (with something like 330,000 legal and illegal total) and Cape Verdean population too. I can't find much on Azorean people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.