U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,143,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator80 View Post
in spite of what 'enlightened' individuals like RonnieJonez might think, there are actually a lot of great cities on this list.

if i had to pick just one, however, it'd be madison, wi. why? for one, i like its size. dane county has a population of approximately 500,000 people, large enough to offer a vibrant urban core, but not so large as to be overwhelming. i also like that madison has a college town feel (duh), but that the university doesn't completely dominate every single aspect of the community, as it does in bloomington, in or champaign, il. add in a lively arts and dining scene, some great neighborhoods, the beautiful lakes, and the "live and let live" mentality of many of its residences, and i think madison is a great place to live.

obviously, there are some negatives about madison too - the weather and high cost of living come to mind - but all in all, i believe madison to be one of the nicest areas in the midwest.
Madison's nice, I was just there this weekend! It's not super multicultural (just yet), but it's really got a ton of amenities for a smaller city and it reminded me a TON of Minneapolis on a smaller scale. I LOVED the lakes there, too (I miss them so much)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,080,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I don't think Grand Rapids ever reached 200,000 in population. At least not yet. And I agree, I don't consider Pittsburgh apart of the Midwest because of the following reason, it's not. Pennsylvania is in the east coast. While I agree it may be similar to the mid west in many ways that does not make it apart of the midwest no more than NorthWest Indiana is apart of Illinois just because of Chicagoland.
I got a sister and some friends in Pittsburgh. I go there every now and then and it definitely feels midwestern with an appalachian bump in there. I don't see the big difference between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati for example and I think it has more in common with Detroit than Philadelphia.

I notice a lot of people from Pittsburgh like to think they're east coast. People from the EC think anything west of Philly is the midwest. People in the great lakes are widely divided, but most seem to think the EC begins at the Ohio/Pennsylvania border.

People are funny sometimes.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM

6,574 posts, read 8,110,360 times
Tulsa hands down

Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Tulsa hands down
You just can't help yourself can you...Tulsa is not the Midwest. Nor is Texas. Both are the South.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,753,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator80 View Post
in spite of what 'enlightened' individuals like RonnieJonez might think, there are actually a lot of great cities on this list.

if i had to pick just one, however, it'd be madison, wi. why? for one, i like its size. dane county has a population of approximately 500,000 people, large enough to offer a vibrant urban core, but not so large as to be overwhelming. i also like that madison has a college town feel (duh), but that the university doesn't completely dominate every single aspect of the community, as it does in bloomington, in or champaign, il. add in a lively arts and dining scene, some great neighborhoods, the beautiful lakes, and the "live and let live" mentality of many of its residences, and i think madison is a great place to live.

obviously, there are some negatives about madison too - the weather and high cost of living come to mind - but all in all, i believe madison to be one of the nicest areas in the midwest.

I wonder if that "live and let live" mentality extends to Republicans, Libertarians, and anyone else they disagree with politically, or are they closed-minded and insular towards that sort of thing?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,051,195 times
Cool thread, but I got to say what is up with Madison and a few of the other "cities?" I know the thread is a weird 200,000+, but there is some serious separation here, at least in my mind. Akron, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, Grand Rapids, Lincoln, Madison, Omaha, Toledo, and Wichita in a group (with obvious separations as well). Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Indy, KC, and Milwaukee with the above caveat. Finally, Detroit, the Twin Cities (of course they're together), and St. Louis. Chicago I'm leaving separate, and each of these could have cases made for why people prefer them but this is "city-data" forum, not nice places to live forum... How is Madison beating so many real cities?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:43 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
Madison has as much or more going on than many of the "real cities" in the Midwest.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,051,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Madison has as much or more going on than many of the "real cities" in the Midwest.
Explain what you mean by "going on" please.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
It is a city that likes to party, and have fun. It has a lot of eccentrics and free spirits. All the obscure indie musicians play there when they tour, even if they skip places like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis or Kansas City.

Madison is cool in a way much of the Midwest isn't. It is like Wisconsin's version of Santa Cruz.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 04-19-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is a city that likes to party, and have fun. It has a lot of eccentrics and free spirits. All the obscure indie musicians play there when they tour, even if they skip places like Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, St Louis or Kansas City.

Madison is cool in a way much of the Midwest isn't. It is like Wisconsin's version of Santa Cruz.
I bet Omaha gets just as many if not more of the obscure indie acts that Madison does. On top of the big name acts that come through town that Madison rarely sees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.