U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Actually, as awesome as the Art Institute is, you will be suprised by the caliber of other art Museums in the midwest, such as the Detroit Institute of Art, or even the St. Louis art museum in the Forest Park, or the Cleveland museum of art on the Case Western campus.

One thing where Chicago is probably the best city in the country for are the museums dedicated to science and nature. Chicagos collection of the Field Museum, Science and Industry, Shedd, Adler, two zoos, one being free and still outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, Chicagos art museums and art scene is world class, but after visiting and exploring other cities, it seems that the difference between Chicago and smaller cities is less than one might expect.
Um.......I'm from St Louis.
And no, as much as I love that museum, its not in the same class as the Art Institute, nor are any of the others you listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,106,863 times
Minneapolis FTW

Signed a biased CD member in a Minneapolis suburb

Minneapolis is the leading city in the polls too!

People actually voted for Detroit? LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um.......I'm from St Louis.
And no, as much as I love that museum, its not in the same class as the Art Institute, nor are any of the others you listed.
Its all relative. Yes, the Art Institute may not be exactly in the same league as those in other midwest cities, but then again, Chicagos art museums are not in the same league as what is found in New York, London, or Paris. Despite all four being world class, global cities,

I still think very much that the Art Institute is still closer to those in other midwest cities (Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis) than it is to the Louvre.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,711,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Its all relative. Yes, the Art Institute may not be exactly in the same league as those in other midwest cities, but then again, Chicagos art museums are not in the same league as what is found in New York, London, or Paris. Despite all four being world class, global cities,

I still think very much that the Art Institute is still closer to those in other midwest cities (Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis) than it is to the Louvre.
Strawman.
We're not speaking of the Louvre, NYC, London or Paris here.
Also, this has already been debated here in this thread.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 PM

573 posts, read 877,148 times
3,655,558 in the minneapolis area. will be at 4,000,000 by 2016 or so..

Old 04-26-2012, 08:56 PM

59 posts, read 106,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I guess since no one has yet, I'll go ahead and make the case for my hometown of Des Moines.

Fifteen years ago, I'd say it wasn't much to talk about, but today it's easily on or near the level of Madison - which is an apt comparison, as they both have a city population of around 200k (Madison is slightly bigger) and a metro population of about 550k (Des Moines is slightly bigger). If they're not already twins, they will be within the next 5-10 years. A lot of great things have been happening in the area recently. The new sculpture garden downtown, the huge refurbishment of the East Village and Court Avenue, the ongoing Riverwalk project, the TONS of fantastic independent restaurants popping up all over the city, etc. There's also a growing sense of local pride, especially in Des Moines proper (see Iowa Nice, Raygun, or any of the myriad responses to that Stephen Bloom article). Des Moines has an extremely strong economy, and is at the top of a ton of livability and desirability lists (best place for young professionals, best place to raise a family, best place for business, etc.), not to mention the political attention, both as the caucus center and as the state capital. There's nothing lacking in the arts - the Des Moines Art Center is outstanding, Des Moines Metro Opera is nationally recognized as one of the best, the Civic Center has a successful Broadway series that consistently brings in high-demand Broadway shows, the Des Moines Arts Festival, the downtown farmer's market, and so on. Graduation rates are high and crime is relatively low, there's a growing urban vitality and youth presence, and of course a huge skyline for a city under a million. There's no gigantic state university (unless you drive half an hour up to Ames), but we do have Drake University, Simpson College, and Grand View University, as well as the medical school Des Moines University, and Iowa State University and Grinnell College within about an hour. Des Moines is also within an easy day's drive of Sioux Falls, Omaha, Lincoln, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and of course Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.

I don't think it's the best city in the Midwest by any means (that's MSP/Chicago), but I do think it's easily in the same league as Madison, even if it doesn't get the attention.
Actually, I read something really, really good about Des Moines. Don't get me wrong, as a Wisconsin guy, I have to stand by my principals and vote Madison, but Des Moines sounds like it's headed in the right direction! The updates to the city center seem to be helping it along and it's growing nicely, too!

Back to brass tacks. Madison, Milwaukee, Des Moines, and Chicago. I like the way Madison and Des Moines are growing and investing in themselves. They're comfortable, little cities with a lot of potential and seem to realize it. They have larger city amenities and room for growth.

Milwaukee is reinventing itself and restructuring everything. It's getting a tram network within the next decade and has a new plan for the downtown area that should revitalize it. There's also a ton of great architecture and interesting neighborhoods.

Chicago. I love Chicago.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:01 PM

59 posts, read 106,687 times
Also, don't get me wrong, but I always feel like Minneapolis/Saint Paul is more of a conglomerate of suburbs than a nice, full city. I realize the metro is also in transition from what it was in the 1970s (just like the group of small yet growing cities in the Midwest) but the only urban feeling places are the core cities and it's fleeting. I have friends who love the Twin Cities and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, but I like the grit and gristle of Chicago and Milwaukee more or the smallness of Madison or Des Moines. To me, the Twin Cities are caught in an awkward teenage stage. Give it 10 or 20 years and I'm sure they'll have all I'm looking for.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,597,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Minneapolis FTW

Signed a biased CD member in a Minneapolis suburb

Minneapolis is the leading city in the polls too!

People actually voted for Detroit? LOL
I voted for Detroit... problem???

Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,760,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamana View Post
Also, don't get me wrong, but I always feel like Minneapolis/Saint Paul is more of a conglomerate of suburbs than a nice, full city. I realize the metro is also in transition from what it was in the 1970s (just like the group of small yet growing cities in the Midwest) but the only urban feeling places are the core cities and it's fleeting. I have friends who love the Twin Cities and couldn't imagine living anywhere else, but I like the grit and gristle of Chicago and Milwaukee more or the smallness of Madison or Des Moines. To me, the Twin Cities are caught in an awkward teenage stage. Give it 10 or 20 years and I'm sure they'll have all I'm looking for.
That's an interesting analysis. I 'd say that Uptown, Como, Falcon Heights, and Roseville (generally, the cities between Minneapolis and St. Paul) all feel pretty urban without being downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul. But I think you're right that it's a metro that's in the process of coming into its own. I'd still say it's pretty analogous to Seattle, Portland, and Denver.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:17 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,132,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
3,655,558 in the minneapolis area. will be at 4,000,000 by 2016 or so..
I'd love that, but I'd take that action if you bet on it! That's 350K plus in 4 years.....not happening! I wish though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.