Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
In my opinion Minneapolis is more diverse.
More variety

Exactly. I don't get some of the weirdos out there who think "diverse" simply means lots of non-white people and that's it. According to that logic, a city like Tokyo is ethnically diverse. In reality, it's over 95% Japanese. That is not ethnically diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM

77 posts, read 152,365 times
I moved from Chicago to Minneapolis and I totally get what Banamana is saying. Minneapolis, to me, feels pretty suburban. There isn't a lot of old architecture or tall buildings outside of downtown or Elliot Park. There are parts of Minneapolis that look a lot like where I grew up, Batavia, Illinois.

Also, the nightlife here has been really disappointing. I love karaoke and dancing, but there isn't much of that here, and what I have experienced has been pretty low quality. When I visited New Orleans recently, a city of a similar size to just Minneapolis alone (not adding St. Paul) it felt so alive. At night the streets and bars were packed with young, fashionable people. Parts of Minneapolis (Cedar Riverside) at night look like ghost towns, and the much hyped Uptown is filled with yuppies and old drunks.

I love the nature, museums, and bikeability here, but the history, vibrancy, and nightlife are missing for me.

Also, Madison is a pretty ugly city.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesperhour View Post
I moved from Chicago to Minneapolis and I totally get what Banamana is saying. Minneapolis, to me, feels pretty suburban. There isn't a lot of old architecture or tall buildings outside of downtown or Elliot Park. There are parts of Minneapolis that look a lot like where I grew up, Batavia, Illinois.

Also, the nightlife here has been really disappointing. I love karaoke and dancing, but there isn't much of that here, and what I have experienced has been pretty low quality. When I visited New Orleans recently, a city of a similar size to just Minneapolis alone (not adding St. Paul) it felt so alive. At night the streets and bars were packed with young, fashionable people. Parts of Minneapolis (Cedar Riverside) at night look like ghost towns, and the much hyped Uptown is filled with yuppies and old drunks.

I love the nature, museums, and bikeability here, but the history, vibrancy, and nightlife are missing for me.

And my Chicago relatives who've visited Minneapolis were blown away by the nightlife....and they're from Elgin/Villa Park and Schaumburg -- not far from Batavia. We also used to go out in the city when my family lived there, so it's not like they don't get to the city.

Minneapolis is not Chicago but boring or lifeless it's not....kind of a ridiculous claim if you ask me, bias aside.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM

Don't get me wrong, I think Minneapolis has plenty going on. I was recently very impressed by Northern Spark, the city wide all-night art fest which drew the size and type of crowd that I'm constantly looking for here. But overall I can't seem to find young, hip people on a nightly basis. I see them at the Hidden Beach, but have no idea what they do on weekend nights.

In Chicago, and Savannah (where I lived for 4 years) young, hip types were easy to find. Dancing to music by amazing DJ's was easy to find. Singing karaoke on a stage, or with props, or with a light show being projected on the singers was easy to find. New Orleans and Montreal, while visiting, seemed to be bursting with this type of stuff and hip young people as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Oh and if people want to shut me up and tell me where to go to find all of this stuff I've been looking for, please do. I really do like living in Minneapolis, and it has a lot of advantages over Chicago, I've just been let down by the nightlife.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:

I agreed with you until here. In my opinion, Madison's isthmus setting is beautiful and well exceeds Minneapolis' natural setting, although I don't think Madison's setting beats Chicago's.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 AM

Ok, perhaps that was way too harsh. I think the lakes in Madison are beautiful, it being on an ithmus and all. And to be fair, I've only visited for a day, but have passed through on the Megabus numerous times (which takes riders through most of the city). I guess I just think a lot of the architecture isn't that pretty, and I really don't like the architecture of the college. And I saw A LOT of strip malls. But the lakes and the capital are stunning.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Ok, perhaps that was way too harsh. I think the lakes in Madison are beautiful, it being on an ithmus and all. And to be fair, I've only visited for a day, but have passed through on the Megabus numerous times (which takes riders through most of the city). I guess I just think a lot of the architecture isn't that pretty, and I really don't like the architecture of the college. And I saw A LOT of strip malls. But the lakes and the capital are stunning.
True, the UW-Madison campus doesn't have very cohesive architecture, and it has a lot of brutalist-style buildings. I just think approaching Madison on John Nolen Dr. into the city is a pretty nice view, and the capitol building is gorgeous!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,247 times
Chicago is becoming more and more East Coast... hellish traffic, expensive everything.... St Louis is a legitimate 3M city with damn good concerts, weather, local destinations, that make this the best city in the world

Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl234 View Post
Chicago is becoming more and more East Coast... hellish traffic, expensive everything.... St Louis is a legitimate 3M city with damn good concerts, weather, local destinations, that make this the best city in the world
i agree with you about st. louis, however i disagree with you about chicago. chicago is very midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.