U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i agree with you about st. louis, however i disagree with you about chicago. chicago is very midwestern.
Chicago is NOT the standard of the midwest.
Snotty people/corruption/high taxes/high cost of living/horrible traffic etc.
i agreed with the poster before Chicago is a Mini-East Coast.
go to cities like Indianapolis/Columbus/Cincy/St Louis etc and youll notice the difference in attitude and how nice people are.
Heck thats one of the reasons people applauded Indy for its superb Super Bowl hosting experience. Media/fan reviews were saying how nice and kind everyone in Indy was with their hoosier hospitality. the NFL hasnt given a super bowl to Chicago for a couple of reasons and im sure one of them is the culture there. 2nd Chicago's soldier field stadium is horrible and if you look at it from certain angles it really does look like a toilet bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,264 posts, read 5,481,941 times
Reputation: 4594
To me, Chicago feels very American, but not very Midwestern. Indianapolis or Columbus feel very Midwestern to me.

But BRG's assessment is so off base it'd be funny, if I knew he weren't serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
Reputation: 2335
^That's because Chicago is the transition between the Upper and Lower Midwest. Chicago and Milwaukee have as much in common with Indianapolis and Columbus as they do with Minneapolis. Doesn't mean it's not Midwestern. It's just not very "typical Rust Belt Americana" Midwestern, which is a quality you don't find as much in the Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM
 
892 posts, read 1,080,778 times
Reputation: 1054
Chicago is the capital of Midwestern culture, and here's why. People from Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin flock to Chicago because it feels safe and familiar to them. That's why neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview and Wrigleyville feel like giant communes of sorority girls and frat boys from the suburbs and small towns throughout the breadbasket who fit the "midwest" stereotype. It's their "big city". St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland's young educated population is largely composed of a more artistic, hands-on young population who appreciate being a part of a work-in-progress. Chicago is ready-made and attracts consumers of city life- St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland are for builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Chicago is the capital of Midwestern culture, and here's why. People from Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin flock to Chicago because it feels safe and familiar to them. That's why neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview and Wrigleyville feel like giant communes of sorority girls and frat boys from the suburbs and small towns throughout the breadbasket who fit the "midwest" stereotype. It's their "big city". St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland's young educated population is largely composed of a more artistic, hands-on young population who appreciate being a part of a work-in-progress. Chicago is ready-made and attracts consumers of city life- St. Louis, Detroit and Cleveland are for builders.
Wrong.
Chicago is not safe. its one of america's most dangerous cities like Detroit and Gary.
2nd Chicago is not that familiar midwestern culture.
Your thinking of rust belt culture. Chicago is way more similar to the rust belt than to the plains/midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 09:15 AM
 
892 posts, read 1,080,778 times
Reputation: 1054
I don't mean safe in terms of having low crime- I mean it's the default "go-to" city for throngs of college grads from the burbs or from small towns to move with all their friends because it's "cool."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,624,853 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
Chicago is not safe. its one of america's most dangerous cities like Detroit and Gary.
2nd Chicago is not that familiar midwestern culture.
Your thinking of rust belt culture. Chicago is way more similar to the rust belt than to the plains/midwest.
To quote Ronald Reagan "there you go again".

Chicago is safe ... safe as any city it's size. Comparing Gary to Chicago? Really? Detroit? Really? Both are considerably smaller than Chicago and unlike Detroit, Chicago did not make it onto the list of the 50 most dangerous cities in the world.

Chicago is THE midwestern city of record. That's not taking anything away from the other great midwestern cities, but when people think of a midwest city, it's Chicago. Like it or not BRG ...

And the bolded statement ... good lord ... where is the largest commodities exchange honey? Do you know what they trade on the commodities exchange, dear? crops grown in the plains and midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
Quad-Cities, Iowa/Illinois. Not on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:57 AM
 
976 posts, read 1,880,508 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Chicago is NOT the standard of the midwest.
Snotty people/corruption/high taxes/high cost of living/horrible traffic etc.
i agreed with the poster before Chicago is a Mini-East Coast.
go to cities like Indianapolis/Columbus/Cincy/St Louis etc and youll notice the difference in attitude and how nice people are.
Heck thats one of the reasons people applauded Indy for its superb Super Bowl hosting experience. Media/fan reviews were saying how nice and kind everyone in Indy was with their hoosier hospitality. the NFL hasnt given a super bowl to Chicago for a couple of reasons and im sure one of them is the culture there. 2nd Chicago's soldier field stadium is horrible and if you look at it from certain angles it really does look like a toilet bowl.
let me tell you as a native philadelphian that chicago is about as midwestern as it gets. i do not see a marked difference between the average person i meet in the city of chicago vs. the average person i meet in the city of st. louis (where i live now). traffic and skyscrapers and trains do not change the fundamental nature of a city. chicago doesn't feel remotely east coast to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM
 
Location: IN
20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Reputation: 13297
Madison, WI (Dane County) is the best small metro in the Midwest by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top