U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Illinois
565 posts, read 821,161 times
Reputation: 439

Advertisements

Isn't Lubbock one of the most conservative places in the country? I'd rather not be burned at the stake for my religion! Haha.

But really, why are we talking about Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2012, 03:26 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
More appropriate titles for this poll would be:

The Snooze Poll

Battle of the Most Boring Cities in the USA

Best of Boredom 2012
True that. especially Chicago and Minneapolis those cities define boredom never in a million years would i ever go back to either of those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
None of what you say makes Madison a good place to live, unless you yourself are "high end", and if you're high end, everyplace is good.

Almost every city is "lower than its high-end competitors".

Get back to us when Madison DOES enact those policies, and we can reconsider whether it is a good place to live. Give me an example of a town that has "reasonable housing prices" that is close enough to Madison to benefit from Madison's gracious superiority.

Don't get me wrong. Madison is probably a perfectly fine place to live if you're a professional who can afford a $220K house, and so is Peoria and Akron. But if I were a single mom with an old Dodge Neon working in a nursing home, I wouldn't want to be dumped off in Madison to fend for myself.

The bottom line to this OP, if I were a mid-range wage-earner with a typical family, I think my first choice in the Midwest with 200K-pop, would be Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Almost exactly the same population and crime rate as Madison, with housing/earnings ratio of 3.36. And no sales tax.
For the last time, Dane county and Madison offer plenty of options for housing for those at every price point. This isn't even an argument compared to the coasts. Madison should mostly be compared to the coasts because it has more commonalities economically, educationally, and socially with those parts of the country. It is a much better place to live than Lubbock. You lost that argument. Madison offers a great educational system and excellent job market with upward mobility. Lubbock offers mostly low wage jobs with a much higher percentage of the population below the poverty line even with their supposed "low cost of living." Sioux Falls is a joke unless you like a place with no well defined city core with very low density suburban housing combined with one of the windiest climates with few trees. Yes, Sioux Falls has a solid rate of new job growth, but it is very remote and far from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You lost that argument..
Another way of saying "One home-town booster keeps yelling the same arguments over and over again, even after they are refuted." One poster doesn't get to declare winners and losers of arguments in a forum, especially if he declares himself the winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 AM
 
6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Reputation: 6543
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
For the last time, Dane county and Madison offer plenty of options for housing for those at every price point. This isn't even an argument compared to the coasts. Madison should mostly be compared to the coasts because it has more commonalities economically, educationally, and socially with those parts of the country. It is a much better place to live than Lubbock. You lost that argument. Madison offers a great educational system and excellent job market with upward mobility. Lubbock offers mostly low wage jobs with a much higher percentage of the population below the poverty line even with their supposed "low cost of living." Sioux Falls is a joke unless you like a place with no well defined city core with very low density suburban housing combined with one of the windiest climates with few trees. Yes, Sioux Falls has a solid rate of new job growth, but it is very remote and far from anything.
Sioux Falls isn't THAT remote. It is a few hour drive to Minneapolis and Omaha. Just because an area isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it a "joke."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
More appropriate titles for this poll would be:

The Snooze Poll

Battle of the Most Boring Cities in the USA

Best of Boredom 2012
Wahhhhhh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Detroit
983 posts, read 1,427,847 times
Reputation: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
For the last time, Dane county and Madison offer plenty of options for housing for those at every price point. This isn't even an argument compared to the coasts. Madison should mostly be compared to the coasts because it has more commonalities economically, educationally, and socially with those parts of the country. It is a much better place to live than Lubbock. You lost that argument. Madison offers a great educational system and excellent job market with upward mobility. Lubbock offers mostly low wage jobs with a much higher percentage of the population below the poverty line even with their supposed "low cost of living." Sioux Falls is a joke unless you like a place with no well defined city core with very low density suburban housing combined with one of the windiest climates with few trees. Yes, Sioux Falls has a solid rate of new job growth, but it is very remote and far from anything.
Just curious if you've been to Sioux Falls. It is suburban-ish but I don't see what's wrong with that. Sioux Falls does have a pretty distinct downtown area. It's not that big, but Madison's MSA is twice that of Sioux Falls's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Sioux Falls isn't THAT remote. It is a few hour drive to Minneapolis and Omaha. Just because an area isn't your cup of tea doesn't make it a "joke."
Ok, its a far drive to a larger airport with a decent selection of flights and Minneapolis isn't exactly a "short" drive away for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
Just curious if you've been to Sioux Falls. It is suburban-ish but I don't see what's wrong with that. Sioux Falls does have a pretty distinct downtown area. It's not that big, but Madison's MSA is twice that of Sioux Falls's.
Sioux Falls is fine if you like being out in the Plains and don't mind lots of wind and cold. I prefer more greenery, lakes, and less wind. My point was it has a small Downtown for its size and nearly all the new growth has been low density suburban growth. Most of the growth is due to finance jobs moving in as South Dakota doesn't have much of a corporate tax at all I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
27 posts, read 34,705 times
Reputation: 25
Wow, what a bunch of snark fests going on on this thread! Why can't I get Elton John's "Can you feel the love tonight" out of my head? Also, a lot of "big city arrogance" against the mid-sized cities on this list (which, of course, they call "small", since if we're not one of them, we're not significant, right?)

Like our token Parisian who thinks we should only talk about "real cities"...hmm, real cities....cause, I mean, we're just pretending here in Des Moines, you know. Yeah, we actually built 801 Grand, and Ruan etc out of legos, and then stuck them in the middle of the corn field, and all that. Come harvest time, our poor "city" is going to be decimated!

I also particularly enjoyed who's his face from Indy laughing off Des Moines growing faster, saying they're not in the same league....true. One's a big city that's growing fast, got a respectible amount of votes in the poll, has a somewhat ho hum skyline for its size, has a good general reputation, but is not being lauded with accolades from everywhere, The other is a mid-size city beginning a meteoric rise, being lauded from every corner, growing faster than Indy, possessing a skyline that rivals if not bests cities 3 times its size (I'm looking at you, St. Lou), and ranked higher on the poll here than Indy. So you're right: they're not in the same league.

That also just assumes that bigger is better as our token Parisian does, and Mr. So and So who decries the thread as "debating the best of the most boring cities in the world" or whatever, and yet, completely undermines himself and his lofty disdain for quibbles over such petty parcels by actually taking the time to make the comment in the first place. Again, big city arrogance, and perhaps some ignorance too.

(Warning: Impromptu "broad brush" treatise in the next post!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top