U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM

27 posts, read 34,720 times

Advertisements

Also, if this is cultism, you'd not expect me to speak so kindly of the big and small cities. where was the "oh, big cities are stupid." Or "oh, small cities are stupid." Can you point out a quote of mine? I think they're all great. I simply feel that while the big gets its props, and to a point, the small too, I don't feel the mid size does, and really, that's all I'm trying to do. If you define that as cultish, then you are using that term very broadly. And if that is cultish, than all three camps are guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,239,704 times
LOL, I've read Des Moines make comparisons to NY & LA - understanding it's a smaller city, but thinking it offers everything those cities do. It's what happens when you get rural people in a mid-sized city that thinks of itself as major.

DMJuice/Cityview probably still push that agenda. I remember years ago they'd have events like "Warhol Ball" by some art group and the story would be centered around how not even NY or LA has such an event.

It really is Narn, IA.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:19 PM

27 posts, read 34,720 times
Hey gang, I think I owe everyone an apology here. I haven't read any of the posts since my last one because i didn't want them to color my response. Frankly I may not read them at all. I did get unduly worked up over this, and as such, made some regrettable posts.

On the one hand, yes Des Moines is somethig special among the midsized cities, and yes the midsize class is something special among the nation's cities as a whole. On the other hand, its just a city. It's just land and buildings, buildings that were guaranteed the day they were built to someday come down in rubble. I thank God that I was planted in a city that i can really love and represent, and seek the betterment of...one that is becoming increasingly more noteworthy in a positive way.

Well, if im convinced of all of this, then why do i get bent out of shape when others don't see that? Who exactly am I trying to convince here? I guess it's an object lesson in just how easily something that we love can become an idol, and just how passionately we'll fight to defend it. I don't believe any of the assertions I made are wrong, but I definitely erred in letting it consume me, both in terms of the snarkiness I've manifest towards people here, and in the simply out of bounds amount of time and passion I've dedicated to it.

Correction: there is one thing I said that's wrong: while it is true that the midsize as a whole, and Des Moines in particular may not receive the attention I think they deserve at large, that is certainly not true of the city data forums. I mean, look at this poll! Des Moines ranked 2nd out of all the myriad mid size cities, and even ranked higher than several of the big ones. That's not neglect! Or how's about all the myriad skyline threads on here (and on sites like skyscraper nation)....except for the ones where Des Moines is either too big or too small to fit into the thread parameters, it always shows up, and it's always spoken of favorably, and sometimes even with favorable incredulity...so Des Moines is getting a fair shake. Also, the midsize as a whole seems to be getting its fair share of air time too, so I have no grounds to so fervently jump to its defense and accuse people of "big city arrogance" when they don't share my zeal.

Again, forgive me for my being so out of balance with my passions and priorities. As a Christian, I should never be more concerned with the glory of Des Moines than I am about the Glory of God, and should ever be more concerned about the souls of men than the cities of men. Heck, even as just some dude that posts on a forum, I should be concerned with just having a good, fun, engaging conversation, rather than going to war when the tide doesn't seem to be going my way. Please accept my apologies.

If anyone wants to keep this conversation going with me, PM me. Otherwise, I'm going to unsubscribe this thread, and will probably not even see the replies made to this.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,532,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
More appropriate titles for this poll would be:

The Snooze Poll

Battle of the Most Boring Cities in the USA

Best of Boredom 2012
I see you're still gracing City-Data with your witty repertoire...

Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 AM

2,032 posts, read 2,414,485 times
1. Twin Cities
2. Chicago
3. Madison

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who cares? What percent of the people in metro Minneapolis have been on a commercial flight in the past five years. Ten percent? Twenty percent? OK, so a major airport is something that you need in order to have a quality of life. The criteria in the OP is 200,000. Sioux Falls meets that. What city of 200,000 has an airport with a "decent selection of flights"? So, to be eligible, your ideal city needs to be a "short" drive from Chicago or some other airline hub, which excludes most cities around 200K.
Yes, that is why strategic location is important. Madison is a short one hour bus ride away to Milwaukee, which offers a good selection of flights. I could also drive a bit further and have all the flights of O'Hare as well. The smaller Plains cities just don't offer good proximity to airports that offer a lot of flights. I know that is due to population size. I've never been one that likes driving a lot so spending hours in the car trying to get somewhere is not appealing minus some weekend trips up north.

Most other metros that are smaller than Madison don't offer good specialized positions within a diverse range of career fields. People aren't moving in large numbers to these smaller metros in the South other than to retire there for the most part. Cost of living is not the number one deciding factor for determining where many people decide to live in the US. If that were the case Mississippi would have the same population as California or Texas.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM

573 posts, read 877,458 times
Chicago is the best

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,792,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Chicago is the best
I certainly would disagree, not everyone is a fan of Chicago - just as there are people who are not fond of Cleveland.

I'll take Cleveland or Columbus any day over Chicago!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,092,794 times
The awkward moment when minneapolis is considered a better city then chicago...smh

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM

778 posts, read 827,303 times
Chicago
Minneapolis
Madison
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.