U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,532,004 times
Reputation: 1503

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Rochester, NY, it's a nice. Midwestrn city with a waterfall, a vibrant(ish) Downtown, obviously not comparable to Chicago but if you wanted a city that big I assume the lowest level 200,000 would be higher.
too bad it's not in the Midwest....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,532,004 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I see.
But, you cant experience what Chicago has to offer in any other Midwestern city.
Not even close.
And I love my hometown of STL, they're just not in the same league, and neither is any other Midwestern city.
Depends on what you want. Most things you can experience in Chicago, you can experience in almost all of the other cities on that list (i.e., 5-star dining, world class theater, arts, bars, etc.). But you can't experience it in the same volume as you can in Chicago.

I would put Chicago #1 on the 'best of the Midwest' list, and it's a no-brainer, no matter how much I love Minneapolis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,532,004 times
Reputation: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're missing my point entirely. Not everyone who wants a city experience in that area has to defer to Chicago. Chicago is not the end-all, be-all for what a city should be, that is up to the individual.

Taking things a step further, New York City is also not for everyone. I can see why people would prefer a smaller city to New York.
There's something to be said for that-- Chicago is much higher stress, more expensive, and further from nature for a 'get away from the hustle and bustle getaway' than all the other cities in the Midwest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
You're missing my point entirely. Not everyone who wants a city experience in that area has to defer to Chicago. Chicago is not the end-all, be-all for what a city should be, that is up to the individual.

Taking things a step further, New York City is also not for everyone. I can see why people would prefer a smaller city to New York.
And you seem to be missing mine as well.
For instance, if one is interested in world-class art, one is not going to find what Chicago has just in the Art Institute anywhere else in the Midwest.
We seem to be speaking of 2 different things here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Depends on what you want. Most things you can experience in Chicago, you can experience in almost all of the other cities on that list (i.e., 5-star dining, world class theater, arts, bars, etc.). But you can't experience it in the same volume as you can in Chicago.

I would put Chicago #1 on the 'best of the Midwest' list, and it's a no-brainer, no matter how much I love Minneapolis...
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And you seem to be missing mine as well.
For instance, if one is interested in world-class art, one is not going to find what Chicago has just in the Art Institute anywhere else in the Midwest.
We seem to be speaking of 2 different things here.
How so?

It's true that you will find many things in Chicago that you won't find in other midwest cities, but that still doesn't make Chicago the automatic number one choice though, because every person values different things in a city. If you like skyscrapers and extensive transit, sure. Some people care about that.

Then again...some people care about other things. For example, if I enjoy a city with dramatic topography, historic architecture, and a milder climate, I might prefer the aesthetics of Cincinnati as opposed to Chicago. For me, Cincinnati might be the best choice...of course, not everyone cares about or values scenery or older architecture in a city either.

At the end of the day, it's all a matter of personal preference. Different strokes...

Last edited by Colts; 03-14-2012 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Reputation: 16496
1. Minneapolis
2. Grand Rapids
3. Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
How so?

It's true that you will find many things in Chicago that you won't find in other midwest cities, but that still doesn't make Chicago the automatic number one choice though, because every person values different things in a city. If you like skyscrapers and extensive transit, sure. Some people care about that.

Then again...some people care about other things. For example, if I enjoy a city with dramatic topography, historic architecture, and a milder climate, I might prefer the aesthetics of Cincinnati as opposed to Chicago. For me, Cincinnati might be the best choice...of course, not everyone cares about or values scenery or older architecture in a city either.

At the end of the day, it's all a matter of personal preference. Different strokes...
You answered your own question, no response is needed from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,205,748 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You answered your own question, no response is needed from me.
Apparently not, since you responded anyway.

There are things that you will find in other Midwest cities that you won't find in Chicago, i.e. the climate and scenery of Cincinnati. You were so busy trying to "win" that you missed that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Apparently not, since you responded anyway.

There are things that you will find in other Midwest cities that you won't find in Chicago, i.e. the climate and scenery of Cincinnati. You were so busy trying to "win" that you missed that part.
Please.
I wasnt trying to "win" anything.
I spent the first 3 decades of my life in the Midwest, and still spend part of every year there.
I know perfectly well whats available there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top