U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,214,368 times

Advertisements

I realize that this is a city forum, and things tend to be a bit biased around these parts, but I just don't see how larger cities "automatically" win. There are benefits to living in a smaller city, too.

When you think about it, there aren't very many metro areas of 1,000,000+ around the world; we just happen to have a lot of them here. Even in the U.S., a metro of over 1,000,000 is still a large area. According to the 2010 Census, the median MSA size is 1 million; that is, 50 percent of Americans live in an area that has less than 1 million people and 50 percent live in an area that has more than 1 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,536,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I take it you have never been to the Art Institute.
Everything in there is world class, and you wont find collections of that stature, nor touring exhibits of that stature in any of the cities you mentioned.
I've been to the museums in the aforementioned cities, and they just dont have the collections that the Art Institute offers.
I may not be an expert on a lot of things, but this I know about.
Many, many, many times.

I come from Bridgeport Irish stock. You may disagree with me, but I know what I'm talking about, too.

MIA just got done with a touring exhibit from the Louvre. Which is not to mention the *wealth* of art spanning 5,000+ years in their permanent collections. How's that for collection of 'that stature'?

Walker is one of the big 5 modern art museums in the country, and last I checked, none of the other four were in Chicago.

I'm inferring from your post that you are in the field of visual art somehow, someway? I may not be that, but as a pretty avid aficionado, with plenty of friends in the field, and a background in history and perspective on how important a lot of these works were on the development of their respective societies, I have a decent grasp on this subject.

Are some of the works more famous than what you get at MIA or in Cleveland? Some are, yes. That's the benefit of having your museum in the middle of a metro of 9 million people instead of a metro of only 3 million.

This is not to rag on Chicago; great town, great art, great other stuff.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's probably because a lot of people who voted for Minneapolis probably voted for St. Paul too. It really should have been one option, but it's not my thread.
You can't vote twice in these poles.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,770,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Many, many, many times.

I come from Bridgeport Irish stock. You may disagree with me, but I know what I'm talking about, too.

MIA just got done with a touring exhibit from the Louvre. Which is not to mention the *wealth* of art spanning 5,000+ years in their permanent collections. How's that for collection of 'that stature'?

Walker is one of the big 5 modern art museums in the country, and last I checked, none of the other four were in Chicago.

I'm inferring from your post that you are in the field of visual art somehow, someway? I may not be that, but as a pretty avid aficionado, with plenty of friends in the field, and a background in history and perspective on how important a lot of these works were on the development of their respective societies, I have a decent grasp on this subject.

Are some of the works more famous than what you get at MIA or in Cleveland? Some are, yes. That's the benefit of having your museum in the middle of a metro of 9 million people instead of a metro of only 3 million.

This is not to rag on Chicago; great town, great art, great other stuff.
What the bolded has to do with anything, I'm sure I dont know, I'm Ladue German, does that make me special?
I am speaking of specific stature of the body of work at the AI vs elsewhere in the Midwest.
You can have 1 great piece and 5k pieces of secondary hack work, so what?
The secondary pieces drag down the 1 good piece, thats curatorship 101.
Am I in visual arts?
I dunno, you tell me, my profession is listed under my username.
If I had thought I could make a living in art history, I would have majored in that.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
Quote:
What the bolded has to do with anything, I'm sure I dont know, I'm Ladue German, does that make me special?
I am speaking of specific stature of the body of work at the AI vs elsewhere in the Midwest.
The secondary pieces drag down the 1 good piece, thats curatorship 101.
Am I in visual arts?
If I had thought I could make a living in art history, I would have majored in that.
Ah -- that explains it!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,770,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Ah -- that explains it!
Is that what passes for wit in Cleveland these days?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,153,823 times
Quote:
Is that what passes for wit in Cleveland these days?
I'm not from Cleveland.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,798,402 times
Default Not sooooo fast ....

Quote:
I take it you have never been to the Art Institute.
Everything in there is world class, and you wont find collections of that stature, nor touring exhibits of that stature in any of the cities you mentioned.
I've been to the museums in the aforementioned cities, and they just dont have the collections that the Art Institute offers.
I may not be an expert on a lot of things, but this I know about.
No one really questions how prestigious and imposing that the Chicago Art Institute is, but you're not dealing with reality if you discredit the equally magnificent and imposing Cleveland Museum Of Art.

The Cleveland Museum of Art

The Cleveland Museum Of Art is an iconic masterpiece by itself, not to mention it's fabulous and world acclaimed art collections. The museum has just undergone several years ( and several hundred million dollars ) in breathtakingly beautiful expansions and renovations. At the present time, the museum is featuring a special exhibit - "Rembrandt in America"
The Cleveland Museum Of Art is also widely ranked as one of "America's Top 5 Art Museums"

It is also located in the highly acclaimed, hip and rapidly evolving "University Circle" district - "One square mile that features the largest concentration of world acclaimed museums, cultural venues ( Cleveland Orchestra ), hospitals and higher education in the entire world" - no other city on the globe can lay claim to this fact.

University Circle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Video - Showcases this unique, vibrant city district

Find Yourself in the Circle! - YouTube

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 03-15-2012 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Point was that I've been to Chicago probably 15+ times in my life and went to the AI most of those times, so the snide comment about 'have you ever even been to the AI?' was unfounded and not well taken. Sorry-- should have been more specific, I guess.

Quote:
This is still an argument for quantity over quality, no?

Quote:
You're delusional if you think everything in the MIA or Walker besides a few select pieces is "hack work."

Quote:
Am I in visual arts?
No, it's not-- so again, I'd appreciate less attitude. I did peruse your public profile, though, and saw you were an interior designer. I think that makes your far from an 'expert' on visual arts, museum collections, curatorship, the value of one collection vs. another, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,235,722 times
I'm surprised St. Louis scored as high as it did...factoring in the metro I could easily agree, but if we're strictly talking the city...wow. Anyway, idk...Chicago and St. Louis are probably the only two cities in the Midwest I'd ever live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.