U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times

Advertisements

I swear people on these polls NEVER vote for a Ohio city... Cleveland and Cincy should have way more votes
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
You can't vote twice in these poles.
this is a multiple choice poll, you can choose all of them if you want....

The OP is from the same area that I'm from. IMO if they want a Midwestern city that's not extremely different, but they want a big upgrade, then St. Louis would definitely be the best choice.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I swear people on these polls NEVER vote for a Ohio city... Cleveland and Cincy should have way more votes
Well, I've lived in two Ohio cities and although I personally like Cleveland quite a bit, I wouldn't suggest that it's the most liveable city in the Midwest....by a longshot. I think the population loss over the decades somewhat reflects that, but the recent population (or at least economic) resurgence lately also suggests that it's coming back, which is fun to see! I wasn't a huge fan of Columbus, but it is quite a bit smaller and provincial-feeling than any other city I've lived in, including Cleveland (which feels big for its population).

Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,532,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
this is a multiple choice poll, you can choose all of them if you want....

The OP is from the same area that I'm from. IMO if they want a Midwestern city that's not extremely different, but they want a big upgrade, then St. Louis would definitely be the best choice.
Whoa! I learn something new every day....I didn't even know you could do that with a poll on here...

...too late to change my vote, though, huh?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Point was that I've been to Chicago probably 15+ times in my life and went to the AI most of those times, so the snide comment about 'have you ever even been to the AI?' was unfounded and not well taken. Sorry-- should have been more specific, I guess.

This is still an argument for quantity over quality, no?

You're delusional if you think everything in the MIA or Walker besides a few select pieces is "hack work."

No, it's not-- so again, I'd appreciate less attitude. I did peruse your public profile, though, and saw you were an interior designer. I think that makes your far from an 'expert' on visual arts, museum collections, curatorship, the value of one collection vs. another, etc.
No, this is not still a debate of quantity over quality, I'm sorry you have a hard time realizing that.
I'm just a lil ole hick gal from Sainte Genevieve, MO....I dont know enough to know if the place I went to school considers my degree to be in the visual arts or not.
Sam Fox School | Sam Fox School
Well, they think it is, so I will bow to their higher authority.
The museum where I teach an art history class seems to be ok with the time I spent at the Sorbonne in class, so, again, I bow to their higher authority.....you know, since they seem to be ok with it.
Sorry you dont like my attitude, I dont really care much for yours, either.
Have a lovely eveninig.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,411,747 times
My choices:

1. Chicago

2. Minneapolis/St. Paul

3. Madison

Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No, this is not still a debate of quantity over quality, I'm sorry you have a hard time realizing that.
I'm just a lil ole hick gal from Sainte Genevieve, MO....I dont know enough to know if the place I went to school considers my degree to be in the visual arts or not.
Sam Fox School | Sam Fox School
Well, they think it is, so I will bow to their higher authority.
The museum where I teach an art history class seems to be ok with the time I spent at the Sorbonne in class, so, again, I bow to their higher authority.....you know, since they seem to be ok with it.
Sorry you dont like my attitude, I dont really care much for yours, either.
Have a lovely eveninig.
Having attitude is okay under certain circumstances, but not when it's about the topic of art and its ranking -- especially since it's widely considered to be "beautiful in the eye of the beholder" (i.e. very subjective). You're vastly underscoring the Walker and MIA, and srsmn is just calling you out on that. I don't think that's unreasonable. I also don't know what your issue with all things not St. Louis is, but there ARE other places outside of Missouri that have things to offer -- I promise!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'm surprised St. Louis scored as high as it did...factoring in the metro I could easily agree, but if we're strictly talking the city...wow. Anyway, idk...Chicago and St. Louis are probably the only two cities in the Midwest I'd ever live in.
I wonder what Chicago thinks its "sister city" in the Midwest is, because seemingly every city in the Midwest thinks of itself as Chicago's counterpart -- or at the very least a 2nd place to live outside of their city -- and I'm not sure Chicagoans think they have ANY "sister" or "counterpart". If it did, I'd think the order would go something like this:

1. Milwaukee
2. St. Louis
3. Detroit

...and all of those would be fairly close, yet still probably only 25% of the population would recognize ANY of these as its counterpart or sister city. The next realm of cities may be:

4. Indianapolis
5. Cleveland
6. Minneapolis-St. Paul

...and all of those would be quite a bit further behind the first 3, which make them almost irrelavent in the conversation of "sister cities". I see more of the attitude of "we don't want to be another Chicago" in the latter 3 places (or at least latter 2 places, where I've lived).

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,792,893 times
I'm not sure that Chicago wants a "sister city", but I have always felt that Cleveland is a smaller, very similar city.
Both offer world class amenities, excellent transit systems, spacious suburbs, each has a setting on a "Great Lake" and both have rivers that run through their downtown areas.

Now ...

Cleveland will also have an inviting "Waterfront" to provide access to residents and visitors via a massive new development that was just approved last night (3-19-12) by the Cleveland City Council.

Check out the details in the accompanying video ...

http://fox8.com/2012/03/19/cleveland...put-to-a-vote/

Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM

23,440 posts, read 31,715,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Having attitude is okay under certain circumstances, but not when it's about the topic of art.
I also don't know what your issue with all things not St. Louis is, but there ARE other places outside of Missouri that have things to offer -- I promise!
I'll make sure I remember that not having an attitude platitude next time I get into a discussion about art with folks that actually know something about it.
I dont know if you bothered to look, but I havent mentioned STL or MO at all in this thread.
Perhaps you are calling me out about the STL thing because you dont have anything else?
FYI, I do not live in MO, I would just like to make that perfectly clear.
Have a beautiful day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.