U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM

506 posts, read 1,082,580 times

Advertisements

Lincoln is awesome. A nice clean city with outstanding parks and trails, the state capitol and flagship university, and friendly people.

I don't like Omaha quite as much, but it has many of the same virtues with more big-city amenities. Must be something good in that Nebraska water.

There's not much wrong with Des Moines. That might be damning with faint praise, but I'm a 'make my own fun' kind of guy so any place that doesn't bother me too much is a pretty good place to live.

I love the lakeside geography of Milwaukee, Detroit, and Chicago. However, I find the latter two overly large and worn. Milwaukee is nice in a lot of ways...but something about the prevailing culture in much of Wisconsin really rubs me the wrong way. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've met a lot of people from WI and a disproportionate number of them behave in a sort of standoffish, pretentious manner that I don't like at all. YMMV.

Minneapolis has an awesome skyline, pretty parks, and a driven atmosphere. The city itself has too many hipsters but some of the suburbs are nice.

I like a number of the suburbs of Kansas City but the city itself doesn't do much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,751,221 times
Not to be contrary, but I'll take Kansas City, MO over it's bland suburbs any day.
I voted for three:
Milwaukee
Minneapolis (didn't realize St. Paul was separate)
Kansas City
In that order.
Just threw KC in because I lived there and have some odd attachment to it.
Milwaukee has a lot going for it: a rust-belt town that's transitioned it's economy pretty well, a lake-side location, and literally just down the road from Chicago so you can do that day-trip without the hassle of dealing with Illinois corruption. It's also a laid-back sort-of-blue-collarish place with a unique and sometimes weird culture.
Minneapolis is just a nice place that doesn't seem to have a whole lot wrong with it.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,794,620 times
Roarin' back stronger than ever - Cleveland continues its powerful momentum!

Downtown Cleveland's boom is real, experts say, thanks to millennials moving in | cleveland.com

Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,570,760 times
Indianapolis would be my choice.
First it has the lowest cost of living and the nations most affordable housing market.
2nd its location is great. 75% of the US population within a days drive.
3rd Indy is going to be the First Northern city to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list. Heck Indy has set the standard for Super Bowls even higher.
4th only a 3 hour drive to Chicago/1.5 hour Cincy/3 hours St Louis. So easy short vacation if the situation demands it
5th Fastest Growing Region in the midwest and the strongest economy. Downtown is filled with construction and homes are selling like crazy in the metro area.
6th. Indy plays host to some of the largest sporting events in the world. The Indy 500/Brickyard 400. Final four every 5 years. Super Bowls periodically and many other conventions and events are held over the year. Gen Con is one of my favorite. Halloween in august with video gamers.
7th one of the friendliest down to earth cultures one can find people actually go out of their way to help you. Hoosier Hospitality is wonderful.

my 7 reasons why i love Indy.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
First it has the lowest cost of living and the nations most affordable housing market.
3rd Indy is going to be the First Northern city to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list. Heck Indy has set the standard for Super Bowls even higher.
4th only a 3 hour drive to Chicago/1.5 hour Cincy/3 hours St Louis. So easy short vacation if the situation demands it
5th Fastest Growing Region in the midwest and the strongest economy. Downtown is filled with construction and homes are selling like crazy in the metro area.
6th. Indy plays host to some of the largest sporting events in the world. The Indy 500/Brickyard 400. Final four every 5 years. Super Bowls periodically and many other conventions and events are held over the year. Gen Con is one of my favorite. Halloween in august with video gamers.
7th one of the friendliest down to earth cultures one can find people actually go out of their way to help you. Hoosier Hospitality is wonderful.

Periodically=1?
Really?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Periodically=1?
Really?

Irsay speaks on another Super Bowl bid

take a moment to read this

Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM

4,264 posts, read 5,481,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post

Just a point that sticks sour with me: Indy is neither the 1) fastest-growing metro area in the Midwest nor 2) the fastest-growing city in the Midwest. I understand your love for Indy, but let's be factual. Strongest economy is also very skeptical...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Just a point that sticks sour with me: Indy is neither the 1) fastest-growing metro area in the Midwest nor 2) the fastest-growing city in the Midwest. I understand your love for Indy, but let's be factual. Strongest economy is also very skeptical...
Wrong. Wrong and Wrong.
Indianapolis has constantly been ranked as the #1 city in the Midwest for growth. look around the Internet youll find articles
#2 that is a fact
#3 you cant grow if you dont have jobs. that a simple rule of economics.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,463,002 times
I've long considered Indy the fastest-growing metro area in the Midwest. I don't know what would rank ahead of it.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM

161 posts, read 180,186 times
The Midwest has a plethora of great cities to live in.

I voted for Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Paul, although I could have added Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.