Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Cities in the Midwest for Living
Akron, OH 6 3.53%
Chicago, IL 57 33.53%
Cincinnati, OH 21 12.35%
Cleveland, OH 24 14.12%
Columbus, OH 22 12.94%
Des Moines, IA 26 15.29%
Detroit, MI 16 9.41%
Fort Wayne, IN 5 2.94%
Grand Rapids, MI 14 8.24%
Indianapolis, IN 23 13.53%
Kansas City, KS-MO 23 13.53%
Lincoln, NE 12 7.06%
Madison, WI 36 21.18%
Milwaukee, WI 24 14.12%
Minneapolis, MN 62 36.47%
Omaha, NE 22 12.94%
St. Louis, MO 34 20.00%
St. Paul, MN 24 14.12%
Toledo, OH 8 4.71%
Wichita, KS 7 4.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've never been there and thought you were referring to a Cambridge in a different state. The point remains that plenty of small towns near Madison offer reasonable housing prices relative to the median household income that remains well above the state average. That is why Madison remains one of the best small metros in the Midwest.
You keep rejecting all that Ive said as being "moot" and then come back to use the same argument, which continues to show that there is a high ratio of housing costs to income in both Madison City and Dane County.

In fact it's hard to find a city anywhere that has a more unfavorable housing/income ratio than Madison's 4.48. Oshkosh 3.07, LaCrosse 3.45, Rockford IL 3.06, Davenport IA 2.85, Grand Rapids MI 3.16. All of which, by they way, have cheaper outlying towns, where the ratios would be even lower. With respect to the cost of living against income, Madison is one of the WORST places to live.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-22-2012 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
...I grew up 50 miles from Madison....
this now explains a great deal of things

Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this now explains a great deal of things
Would you like to say what some of those things are?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'll take jtur88's side on this fact: 50 miles outside of Madison does certainly suck (unless you're in the Dells, which is about 50 miles outside of Madison -- Baraboo, I think).

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'll take jtur88's side on this fact: 50 miles outside of Madison does certainly suck (unless you're in the Dells, which is about 50 miles outside of Madison -- Baraboo, I think).
So it does suck or it doesn't suck?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
You keep rejecting all that Ive said as being "moot" and then come back to use the same argument, which continues to show that there is a high ratio of housing costs to income in both Madison City and Dane County.

In fact it's hard to find a city anywhere that has a more unfavorable housing/income ratio than Madison's 4.48. Oshkosh 3.07, LaCrosse 3.45, Rockford IL 3.06, Davenport IA 2.85, Grand Rapids MI 3.16. All of which, by they way, have cheaper outlying towns, where the ratios would be even lower. With respect to the cost of living against income, Madison is one of the WORST places to live.
I wasn't inherently disagreeing that Madison proper has higher housing costs, but still has an overall cost of living that is lower than its higher end competitors. Madison attracts highly educated human capital from across the country and has a strong technology, research, and healthcare sectors. Madison does not have very many commonalities with much of the Midwest because it outperforms in educational attainment and median household income in a significant way. It also outperforms every small metro in the Midwest for new job growth in the last 10 years. You are ignoring that key fact. Madison can lower that ratio by enacting policies to increase housing supply and new development as well as redevelopment. Until then, many towns very close to Madison offer very reasonable housing prices. Madison is NOT competing with the South in a cost of living contest. If people want cheap housing and cheap housing alone they will move to those places. The fact of the matter is that cheap housing is not the ONLY reason that people seek out.

"Oshkosh 3.07, LaCrosse 3.45, Rockford IL 3.06, Davenport IA 2.85, Grand Rapids MI 3.16."

All of those cities with the exception of Oshkosh has seen job declines over the past 10 years. It would make sense that their housing/income ratios are lower because the overall demand for housing in general is lower. Madison has NOTHING in common with those cities at all. Few small metros are comparable to Madison and that is the whole point.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,759 times
More appropriate titles for this poll would be:

The Snooze Poll

Battle of the Most Boring Cities in the USA

Best of Boredom 2012

Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
More appropriate titles for this poll would be:

The Snooze Poll

Battle of the Most Boring Cities in the USA

Best of Boredom 2012
Because you've lived in all the cities listed, right?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wasn't inherently disagreeing that Madison proper has higher housing costs, but still has an overall cost of living that is lower than its higher end competitors. Madison attracts highly educated human capital from across the country and has a strong technology, research, and healthcare sectors. Madison does not have very many commonalities with much of the Midwest because it outperforms in educational attainment and median household income in a significant way. It also outperforms every small metro in the Midwest for new job growth in the last 10 years. You are ignoring that key fact. Madison can lower that ratio by enacting policies to increase housing supply and new development as well as redevelopment. Until then, many towns very close to Madison offer very reasonable housing prices. Madison is NOT competing with the South in a cost of living contest. If people want cheap housing and cheap housing alone they will move to those places. The fact of the matter is that cheap housing is not the ONLY reason that people seek out.

"Oshkosh 3.07, LaCrosse 3.45, Rockford IL 3.06, Davenport IA 2.85, Grand Rapids MI 3.16."

All of those cities with the exception of Oshkosh has seen job declines over the past 10 years. It would make sense that their housing/income ratios are lower because the overall demand for housing in general is lower. Madison has NOTHING in common with those cities at all. Few small metros are comparable to Madison and that is the whole point.
None of what you say makes Madison a good place to live, unless you yourself are "high end", and if you're high end, everyplace is good.

Almost every city is "lower than its high-end competitors".

Get back to us when Madison DOES enact those policies, and we can reconsider whether it is a good place to live. Give me an example of a town that has "reasonable housing prices" that is close enough to Madison to benefit from Madison's gracious superiority.

Don't get me wrong. Madison is probably a perfectly fine place to live if you're a professional who can afford a $220K house, and so is Peoria and Akron. But if I were a single mom with an old Dodge Neon working in a nursing home, I wouldn't want to be dumped off in Madison to fend for myself.

The bottom line to this OP, if I were a mid-range wage-earner with a typical family, I think my first choice in the Midwest with 200K-pop, would be Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Almost exactly the same population and crime rate as Madison, with housing/earnings ratio of 3.36. And no sales tax.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-23-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
None of what you say makes Madison a good place to live, unless you yourself are "high end", and if you're high end, everyplace is good.

Almost every city is "lower than its high-end competitors".

Get back to us when Madison DOES enact those policies, and we can reconsider whether it is a good place to live. Give me an example of a town that has "reasonable housing prices" that is close enough to Madison to benefit from Madison's gracious superiority.

Don't get me wrong. Madison is probably a perfectly fine place to live if you're a professional who can afford a $220K house, and so is Peoria and Akron. But if I were a single mom with an old Dodge Neon working in a nursing home, I wouldn't want to be dumped off in Madison to fend for myself.

The bottom line to this OP, if I were a mid-range wage-earner with a typical family, I think my first choice in the Midwest with 200K-pop, would be Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Almost exactly the same population and crime rate as Madison, with housing/earnings ratio of 3.36. And no sales tax.
South Dakota has sales tax, but no income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.