U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM

20,853 posts, read 35,970,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Now that is ridiculous. Too far south? I disagree. 39N isn't the mark between great summers and bad ones. Go to Central Illinois and tell me those summers are tolerable, or most of Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. The heat and humidity in all these areas is pretty bad.
The sun angle COMBINED with the high temperatures and humidity is what makes it unbearable in the central US southward in summer. It's not nearly as bad further north with the declination angle of the sun somewhat lower in the sky instead of higher. Also, even though much of Europe has a fairly mild climate, moderated by the Gulf Stream, it is at a much higher latitude than much of the continental US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,972,211 times
Comment: "This winter has been downright freezing. So much for global warming."
Global warming activist: "One winter doesn't prove anything, climate is an average."

Comment: "This winter has been unusually warm."
Global warming activist: "Wait until the ice caps melt."

^ Just an observation. And I'm not a sceptic nor am I a believer. Let's just agree to reduce poor land use, auto dependence (that applies to the hybrid-driving environmentalist residents of the Bay Area, mainly), and pollution.

But seriously, this winter isn't the result of any sort of global warming phenomenon. It's a residual effect of a natural fluctuation in the Arctic Oscillation and ENSO. Surprisingly, we've had far warmer winters in the past. I was watching the news tonight and apparently NYC's record for today was actually 85.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM

605 posts, read 1,236,190 times
Quote:
Now that is ridiculous. Too far south? I disagree. 39N isn't the mark between great summers and bad ones. Go to Central Illinois and tell me those summers are tolerable, or most of Iowa and Eastern Nebraska. The heat and humidity in all these areas is pretty bad.

IMO the only place in the United States with tolerable summer weather is the Pacific Northwest. Most of the central and eastern USA gets terribly humid..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 PM

8 posts, read 15,361 times
Ok so nearly every winter is a b*tch in much of the US and people do nothing but complain. They complain about driving in the snow and dealing with the bitter cold weather. We FINALLY get a decent winter after years after nasty winters and people are on here b*tching and complaining. WTH?

IMO this winter was AWESOME. There were no commutes that took twice as long as normal, didn't have to deal with pipes freezing, snow removal, or any of the other typical headaches of winter.

Some people are never happy I guess.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The sun angle COMBINED with the high temperatures and humidity is what makes it unbearable in the central US southward in summer. It's not nearly as bad further north with the declination angle of the sun somewhat lower in the sky instead of higher. Also, even though much of Europe has a fairly mild climate, moderated by the Gulf Stream, it is at a much higher latitude than much of the continental US.
If you are implying that summers in the places I described are tolerable, I have to strongly disagree. While I agree STL is worse, saying those places don't get unbearably hot and humid on a frequent basis is being less than honest. And if the 39N is that big a difference, then I guess KC, which is just above the 39N, is much cooler and more tolerable than STL in the summer....oh wait, it's not. East of the Mississippi, anything north of the 41N is what I'd consider the beginning of pleasant summers. West of the Mississippi, I'd say shift that line to 42N. While not based on research, it's true that Omaha's summers are considerably hotter than Chicago's, especially in July, where it bears a pretty close resemblance to STL (high of 87 vs. a high of 89/90). Omaha, Des Moines, KC, and STL, and places in Illinois like Springfield and Champaign are all pretty miserable in the summer, regardless of the sun angle. Anyone who says otherwise is being less than honest.

Last edited by stlouisan; 03-13-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo236 View Post
Ok so nearly every winter is a b*tch in much of the US and people do nothing but complain. They complain about driving in the snow and dealing with the bitter cold weather. We FINALLY get a decent winter after years after nasty winters and people are on here b*tching and complaining. WTH?

IMO this winter was AWESOME. There were no commutes that took twice as long as normal, didn't have to deal with pipes freezing, snow removal, or any of the other typical headaches of winter.

Some people are never happy I guess.
First off, get a grip. There's a difference between pointing out how unusual this winter was vs. complaining about it. And regardless of how nice and convenient this may have been in the short term, in the long term this could be more harmful than convenient. This winter is a true anomally if I ever saw one, and a further indication of the effects of global warming...seasons are acting more out of character on a consistent basis.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 AM

7,748 posts, read 6,152,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Comment: "This winter has been downright freezing. So much for global warming."
Global warming activist: "One winter doesn't prove anything, climate is an average."

Comment: "This winter has been unusually warm."
Global warming activist: "Wait until the ice caps melt."

^ Just an observation. And I'm not a sceptic nor am I a believer. Let's just agree to reduce poor land use, auto dependence (that applies to the hybrid-driving environmentalist residents of the Bay Area, mainly), and pollution.

But seriously, this winter isn't the result of any sort of global warming phenomenon. It's a residual effect of a natural fluctuation in the Arctic Oscillation and ENSO. Surprisingly, we've had far warmer winters in the past. I was watching the news tonight and apparently NYC's record for today was actually 85.
Was it back in 2002?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,361,507 times
We've gotten 35 feet of snow so far this winter, and it's 9F right now. Winter's doing just fine up here in Alaska.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Just looked at our 7-day on WGN.

Mid to upper 70's and sun straight through early next week. Even the further out 10 day on other sites has us in the upper 60's.

It should be around 45 degrees right now.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Quote:
I'd hardly ever call Iowa summers unbearable. Mid 80's for highs with a breeze normally and mid 60's for lows. Growing up there it was perfect. The entire state was bright green, it normally wasn't too hot. There certainly CAN be spells of heat up into the 90's and also humidity - but honestly if it's like that up in Iowa, then that means it's basically the same everywhere to the sough and east of us. That's a majority of the US population. Whatever you're getting in Iowa, probably throw on 4-5 more degrees and a bit more humidity in St. Louis. It's 200 miles further south, and 200 miles closer to the gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.