U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Yeah...see, THAT is what I call a mild summer...and you get are pretty much guaranteed that in those places...unbearable heat and humidity are unlikely to occur any more times than you can count with your fingers...considerably south and west of the southern Great Lakes (at least 100 miles) in the Midwest the same can't be said.
And the Midwest, as I'm aware you've lived you in both Louisville and Kansas City, although those two aren't that different in the summer. The central Midwest west of the Mississippi, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and much of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio are all too hot for me in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,981,759 times
Where I live in Atlanta this afternoon, we had violent lightning and thunder with the sun out, and it poured, very strange for March 13.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,410,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
And regardless of how nice and convenient this may have been in the short term, in the long term this could be more harmful than convenient.

so many people love summer that i think people don't realize the benefits of actually having a "normal" cold winter.
Report: Great Lakes ice down 71 percent since 1973 - chicagotribune.com

Old 03-13-2012, 07:38 PM

56,515 posts, read 80,824,285 times
syracuse.com : If this winter is the new normal, how would it change Syracuse?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:39 PM

2,773 posts, read 3,070,233 times
Guess I did not have to be so jealous of Little Rock making it into the 80's a couple weeks ago, today we had our first 80 degree day in Des Moines for 2012. We have only had about 15 inches of snow this year, most of it 2 to 4 inches at a time, spread a couple weeks apart per snowfall, and each those snows melted within a few days. We also did not drop below zero this winter, for the first time on record.....but we made it down to +1 one night.

Not much difference between Des Moines and Iowa City in the summer, but SW Iowa and Omaha has many days that can be 5 or more degrees warmer than Des Moines, and not just in the summer, sometimes strong SW winds from Kansas can bring extra warmth to SW Iowa, that has minimal effect for Des Moines and eastern Iowa. Many days the temperature difference between Des Moines and the far SW corner of the state can be greater than the difference from Des Moines and Mason City.

Speaking of Mason City, they had snow that stuck around for a while this winter, unlike Des Moines. Mason City can sometimes have a very brutal winter when Des Moines will miss the snowfall and those many nights below zero.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Guess I did not have to be so jealous of Little Rock making it into the 80's a couple weeks ago, today we had our first 80 degree day in Des Moines for 2012. We have only had about 15 inches of snow this year, most of it 2 to 4 inches at a time, spread a couple weeks apart per snowfall, and each those snows melted within a few days. We also did not drop below zero this winter, for the first time on record.....but we made it down to +1 one night.

Not much difference between Des Moines and Iowa City in the summer, but SW Iowa and Omaha has many days that can be 5 or more degrees warmer than Des Moines, and not just in the summer, sometimes strong SW winds from Kansas can bring extra warmth to SW Iowa, that has minimal effect for Des Moines and eastern Iowa. Many days the temperature difference between Des Moines and the far SW corner of the state can be greater than the difference from Des Moines and Mason City.

Speaking of Mason City, they had snow that stuck around for a while this winter, unlike Des Moines. Mason City can sometimes have a very brutal winter when Des Moines will miss the snowfall and those many nights below zero.
Pretty obvious from my stats that there wasn't a big difference...the point of my stats was to show that those places are not exactly pleasant in the summertime. Any month in which the average high is in the upper 80s, coupled with the typical Midwest humidity, is not a good one. That said, I agree that summers are not entirely unbearable in those areas.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:21 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Tornados hit Michigan today causing significant damage. Normally tornado season does not begin in Michigan untill May. In fact Michigans worst tornado time is usually in the summer months. It was almost 80 degrees today up here, and the forcast calls for this weather to continue. We never really had a winter, and now its 80 and tornados. Really really strange weather, makes you wonder what is comming.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Tornados hit Michigan today causing significant damage. Normally tornado season does not begin in Michigan untill May. In fact Michigans worst tornado time is usually in the summer months. It was almost 80 degrees today up here, and the forcast calls for this weather to continue. We never really had a winter, and now its 80 and tornados. Really really strange weather, makes you wonder what is comming.
Trees are blooming several weeks ahead of schedule here if i'm not mistaken. Not to mention, the temperature is unusually warm here. Anyone who says the weather hasn't been acting strange needs to go back and look at the frequency...several years ago, summer was unusually cool....then followed by two of years of excessive hot...the past few winters have either been way above average or below. The weather is behaving erratically...winter and summer have been anything but normal for several years now.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
The end is near.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The end is near.

Hehehe...my mother turns 60 that day. We're all joking that we're gonna celebrate a day early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.