Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'd hardly ever call Iowa summers unbearable. Mid 80's for highs with a breeze normally and mid 60's for lows. Growing up there it was perfect. The entire state was bright green, it normally wasn't too hot. There certainly CAN be spells of heat up into the 90's and also humidity - but honestly if it's like that up in Iowa, then that means it's basically the same everywhere to the sough and east of us. That's a majority of the US population. Whatever you're getting in Iowa, probably throw on 4-5 more degrees and a bit more humidity in St. Louis. It's 200 miles further south, and 200 miles closer to the gulf.
Which part of Iowa did you live in, out of curiousity? Because this much I'll say...anybody I've ever known from Omaha claims the summers there are pretty consistently hot and humid. I have a hard time imagining Des Moines, just 100 miles to the east, is any better. Eastern Iowa I agree isn't as hot...from what I've observed, it doesn't get nearly as hot as Western Iowa. Finally, 4 or 5 more degrees and a bit more humidity isn't THAT much worse. Usually from what I've seen, the heat index in Iowa is consistently at minimum in the '90s...I guess that's tolerable to some people, but for me, anything above 90, be it the heat index or the actual temperature, is too hot. In any case, let's get back on topic here folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Which part of Iowa did you live in, out of curiousity? Because this much I'll say...anybody I've ever known from Omaha claims the summers there are pretty consistently hot and humid. I have a hard time imagining Des Moines, just 100 miles to the east, is any better. Eastern Iowa I agree isn't as hot...from what I've observed, it doesn't get nearly as hot as Western Iowa. Finally, 4 or 5 more degrees and a bit more humidity isn't THAT much worse. Usually from what I've seen, the heat index in Iowa is consistently at minimum in the '90s...I guess that's tolerable to some people, but for me, anything above 90, be it the heat index or the actual temperature, is too hot. In any case, let's get back on topic here folks.
100 miles east of Des Moines, although from watching the news every day for 20 years growing up, the temps in Des Moines and Iowa City never differed by more than a few degrees. Basically whatever happened in Des Moines would happen in Iowa City 3 hours later...temps, clouds, rain, snow.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
If you are implying that summers in the places I described are tolerable, I have to strongly disagree. While I agree STL is worse, saying those places don't get unbearably hot and humid on a frequent basis is being less than honest. And if the 39N is that big a difference, then I guess KC, which is just above the 39N, is much cooler and more tolerable than STL in the summer....oh wait, it's not. East of the Mississippi, anything north of the 41N is what I'd consider the beginning of pleasant summers. West of the Mississippi, I'd say shift that line to 42N. While not based on research, it's true that Omaha's summers are considerably hotter than Chicago's, especially in July, where it bears a pretty close resemblance to STL (high of 87 vs. a high of 89/90). Omaha, Des Moines, KC, and STL, and places in Illinois like Springfield and Champaign are all pretty miserable in the summer, regardless of the sun angle. Anyone who says otherwise is being less than honest.
Ya, one of the reasons I moved north was to escape most of the heat and humidity of the South. I'm at 43.5 N and the average summer high is in the upper 70s to low 80s with the average low in the 50s. The occasional lows in the 40s in July are quite refreshing. This year it might be 90-100F the entire summer at the rate the pattern is going now.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
We may hit the 70s tomorrow
Just a couple days ago i was out on the lake ice fishing only in boots and swimming shorts. Was to hot for a shirt

Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
100 miles east of Des Moines, although from watching the news every day for 20 years growing up, the temps in Des Moines and Iowa City never differed by more than a few degrees. Basically whatever happened in Des Moines would happen in Iowa City 3 hours later...temps, clouds, rain, snow.
July appears to be a pretty hot month for both Des Moines and Iowa City. Iowa City's average high is 87 degrees, vs. St. Louis, which reaches a high of 89. Des Moines is 86. The lows are only slightly better as well...mid to upper 60s vs. lower 70s for STL. So I wouldn't call any of these places that pleasant in July, especially factoring in the typical humidity. Many people i've talked to in Iowa have told me heat indices in the mid to upper 90s are a fairly normal occurence. The real difference appears to be that summer lasts several weeks less in the two Iowa cities than St. Louis. Iowa City and Des Moines typically cool off several weeks into August, whereas St. Louis and KC stay hot through early September and start getting hot a few weeks ahead of the other two in the early summer. All factors considered, if I wanted a reliably comfortable summer, and wanted to live in the Midwest, I would stick to Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, as well as northern illinois, northern indiana, and northern Ohio.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ya, one of the reasons I moved north was to escape most of the heat and humidity of the South. I'm at 43.5 N and the average summer high is in the upper 70s to low 80s with the average low in the 50s. The occasional lows in the 40s in July are quite refreshing. This year it might be 90-100F the entire summer at the rate the pattern is going now.
Yeah...see, THAT is what I call a mild summer...and you get are pretty much guaranteed that in those places...unbearable heat and humidity are unlikely to occur any more times than you can count with your fingers...considerably south and west of the southern Great Lakes (at least 100 miles) in the Midwest the same can't be said.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:55 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Yeah...see, THAT is what I call a mild summer...and you get are pretty much guaranteed that in those places...unbearable heat and humidity are unlikely to occur any more times than you can count with your fingers...considerably south and west of the southern Great Lakes (at least 100 miles) in the Midwest the same can't be said.
I live in central NH. Air temperature is highly dependent on elevation in my area no matter what the season is. A few small heatwaves are common with highs going above 90F for a few days, but then a front generally moves through during the summer. Northern NH has two and a half months for a growing season between early June and late August. A freeze can occur at any time in all other months.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo236 View Post
Ok so nearly every winter is a b*tch in much of the US and people do nothing but complain. They complain about driving in the snow and dealing with the bitter cold weather. We FINALLY get a decent winter after years after nasty winters and people are on here b*tching and complaining. WTH?

IMO this winter was AWESOME. There were no commutes that took twice as long as normal, didn't have to deal with pipes freezing, snow removal, or any of the other typical headaches of winter.

Some people are never happy I guess.
Lol, its true people complain about the weather no matter what it is. Even in places where the weather comes close to being perfect, like say San Diego, people probably complain because the weather gets too boring sometimes!

Having said that, many of us like to see a little snow from time to time. Normally we only get snow on Long Island from December to March. This year, getting only 4 inches in four months is a bit disappointing.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I live in central NH. Air temperature is highly dependent on elevation in my area no matter what the season is. A few small heatwaves are common with highs going above 90F for a few days, but then a front generally moves through during the summer. Northern NH has two and a half months for a growing season between early June and late August. A freeze can occur at any time in all other months.
Didn't know about the freeze potential outside of June and August...that almost sounds like Montreal weather! In any case, a few small heatwaves, yes, but nothing that hangs around. To be honest, I'm pretty much the same way you are about weather. I could care less if it snows forever and gets cold as Thunder Bay, but I absolutely hate the summer. Exactly one of the reasons why I want to move to Chicago or somewhere along the Great Lakes eventually...somewhere where the temperature is moderated in the summer. I would rather freeze my butt off than sweat it off, feel dirty, and smell like an outhouse. Doesn't exactly keep the ladies interested

Old 03-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Lol, its true people complain about the weather no matter what it is. Even in places where the weather comes close to being perfect, like say San Diego, people probably complain because the weather gets too boring sometimes!

Having said that, many of us like to see a little snow from time to time. Normally we only get snow on Long Island from December to March. This year, getting only 4 inches in four months is a bit disappointing.
San Diego? Perfect? What about the summer? I would imagine it gets pretty hot and humid there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.