Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times

Advertisements

wow. now that's a trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Out of those that I listed, the Finger Lakes Region is the closest area.
Also, the 1000 Islands and the Adirondacks aren't too far from Montreal and Toronto either.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munichguy View Post
Hello, greetings from Germany! Two of my friends and I are planning a trip to the US and Canada this summer. So far, this is what we have planned:

Washington: 2 days
Philadelphia: 3 days
I would reverse it so Washington = 3 days and Philly = 2 days. There's so much to see in Washington, D.C. (the Smithsonians, for example), and you don't have to be American to appreciate it.

Quote:
New York: 1 week (I have a relative here that we can stay with for free, which is why we are spending so much time here.)
Boston: 3 days
I spent a week in NYC and found it the perfect amount of time to spend there. You are lucky to have a friend who lives there. Never been to Boston, but 3 days sounds sufficient there, too. However, you might want to spend 2 days in Boston and 2 days in Burlington, maybe go on a hiking excursion or something, although I do not know how that'd work out without a car.

Quote:
Burlington: 1 day (En route to Montreal via bus. Flights between Boston and Montreal are much more expensive.)
Montreal: 3 days
Toronto: 3 days
Niagara Falls/Buffalo: 1 day (It's much cheaper to fly to Chicago from Buffalo than Toronto.)
Chicago: 3 days
Madison: 5 days (A best friend of ours from here in Munich is doing his graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin, which is why we are spending so much time there.)
Sounds good to me. I think you'll like Madison. Maybe your friend can pick you up in Chicago and you can spend a night in Milwaukee? It's a very German-influenced city.

Quote:
Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Sedona, Arizona: 4 days
Los Angeles/San Diego: 4 days
San Francisco: 4 days
Are you going to fly from Madison to Las Vegas and rent a car there?

Car rentals are cheaper in the US than in Europe, and you will get a much better car with automatic transmission than you would in Europe.

The West has an abundance of natural attractions. You may decide to leave San Diego out and cut a day from San Francisco (unless you want to make the trip over the pedestrian bridge to Mexico and add another country to your list) and see Yosemite, Death Valley National Park (where shade temperatures can rise to 55C), some of the national parks in Utah (Zion strikes me as particularly close to where you will be), or the Mormon / FLDS culture of southwestern Utah (though a day there might not be enough to suck it in unless you visit Colorado City, AZ or some place like that).

Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
some of the national parks in Utah (Zion strikes me as particularly close to where you will be)
I would trade Bryce Canyon and Zion in southern Utah to Grand Canyon any day of the week. Grand Canyon's size is definitely impressive, but for shear jaw-dropping beauty, you can't possibly beat Bryce and Zion.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Since you also mention perhaps traveling to Canada, you might also want to post your query on the Travel Forum.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
your trip sounds great, but.... if I could make one suggestion, it would be to include visits to the many biggest balls of string/twine that are available to see and most Americans will agree that these are worth seeing at least a couple times in person. It's fun to visit them over the years and check-up on the progress being made.

Darwin, Minnesota has the Largest Sisal Twine Ball (4,900 kg) built by one person which of course is impressive in it's own right and you may be luck enough to visit during the annual "Twine Ball Day" the second Saturday in August. Highlights from last year's celebration: Darwin was bustling for Twine Ball Day at Enterprise Dispatch Blog

Now if you are talkin' just flat out massive sisal twine ball (8,111 kg) built by a single community (presumable sisal twine balls built by mutiple communities are not recognized) you should then swing on down to Cawker City, Kansas where if you time it right in August you can partake in the annual Twine-a-thon in which residents and visitors alike add to the ball of twine. How fun would that be!

from World's Largest Ball of Twine - Cawker City, Kansas ...

Each August a twine-a-thon is held and additional twine is added by the residents of the community and visitors - this is your chance to be part of one of the World's Largest Things. The Cawker City web page about the twine-a-thon hasn't been updated in a couple of years, but the event includes a horseshoe pitching contest, car show, food, and (of course) adding twine to the world's largest ballYou can arrange to add twine to the World's Largest Ball Twine at other times. Call 785 781 4470 or 785 781 4713 or email clover@nckcn.com. If souvenir shop should happen to be opened across the street from the Ball of Twine, Lottie will give people a piece of twine to add. They will even add the length of your twine to the official total

World's largest ball of twine - Cawker City, Kansas - YouTube

But! if you simply want to see a big ball of twine (sisal be damned) then it's to Wisconsin you must travel to see James Frank Kotera's, 8,770 kg behemoth in Lake Nebagamon ( 46.512778,-91.700278 ).

JFK's Twine Ball: World's Largest?, Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin

Supposedly there is an even bigger ball of twine in Branson Missouri but frankly that one sounds a bit suspect and probably is wrapped aound an old refrigerator or couch that was lying near by.

An added benefit to these (an other American) towns is that they have excellent mental health facilities nearby...that is, if the need should ever arise.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
your trip sounds great, but.... if I could make one suggestion, it would be to include visits to the many biggest balls of string/twine that are available to see and most Americans will agree that these are worth seeing at least a couple times in person. It's fun to visit them over the years and check-up on the progress being made.

Darwin, Minnesota has the Largest Sisal Twine Ball (4,900 kg) built by one person which of course is impressive in it's own right and you may be luck enough to visit during the annual "Twine Ball Day" the second Saturday in August. Highlights from last year's celebration: Darwin was bustling for Twine Ball Day at Enterprise Dispatch Blog

Now if you are talkin' just flat out massive sisal twine ball (8,111 kg) built by a single community (presumable sisal twine balls built by mutiple communities are not recognized) you should then swing on down to Cawker City, Kansas where if you time it right in August you can partake in the annual Twine-a-thon in which residents and visitors alike add to the ball of twine. How fun would that be!

from World's Largest Ball of Twine - Cawker City, Kansas ...

Each August a twine-a-thon is held and additional twine is added by the residents of the community and visitors - this is your chance to be part of one of the World's Largest Things. The Cawker City web page about the twine-a-thon hasn't been updated in a couple of years, but the event includes a horseshoe pitching contest, car show, food, and (of course) adding twine to the world's largest ballYou can arrange to add twine to the World's Largest Ball Twine at other times. Call 785 781 4470 or 785 781 4713 or email clover@nckcn.com. If souvenir shop should happen to be opened across the street from the Ball of Twine, Lottie will give people a piece of twine to add. They will even add the length of your twine to the official total

World's largest ball of twine - Cawker City, Kansas - YouTube

But! if you simply want to see a big ball of twine (sisal be damned) then it's to Wisconsin you must travel to see James Frank Kotera's, 8,770 kg behemoth in Lake Nebagamon ( 46.512778,-91.700278 ).

JFK's Twine Ball: World's Largest?, Lake Nebagamon, Wisconsin

Supposedly there is an even bigger ball of twine in Branson Missouri but frankly that one sounds a bit suspect and probably is wrapped aound an old refrigerator or couch that was lying near by.

An added benefit to these (an other American) towns is that they have excellent mental health facilities nearby...that is, if the need should ever arise.
Yes, you can be admitted and get "detwined"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.