U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM

4 posts, read 11,158 times

Advertisements

Is moving after high school(particularly out of state) and living a decent life even possible in current times? I know back in the past it wasn't uncommon to start a full-time job right after high school and be independent, but nowadays it seems pretty rare. And if they did move out, it usually is in the same city or somewhere near it.

So is it even possible to do this? Particularly a pretty large city? I've always wanted to live in NYC because of the limitless things you can do there, but NYC and anywhere near it is very expensive and near impossible to live in right after high school alone.

So are there any large cities out there that one could move into right after high school and survive while living a decent life? By decent life I mean safe, open-minded, parks, zoos, concerts, etc. Are there jobs one could attain with just a high school diploma that would be sufficient enough to live in cities with my desired attributes?

Also, about college. I'm thinking going to community college part time, such as night classes if I were to move. Going to college OOS is out of the question and I know if I did college right after high school in my current hometown would probably make moving out a lot easier but the thing is, I want to move now, not in 4-5 more years. So with the information granted, I would love to hear from you guys.

Also, any additional information and advice about moving OOS after high school would be more than appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 PM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Maybe decent sized cities not too far from NYC could work, as some Northeastern areas are actually pretty reasonable. What kind of work would you be looking for?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Hmm, I'm not really sure what work. Honestly, anything besides hard labor that would higher just a high school graduate. I was thinking maybe a bank teller, though I still need to narrow down my city list.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM

So after doing some more research, I've been getting less confidence that this can actually happen. It seems that Chicago is a very good match for what I'm looking for, though a huge problem is securing the job. I'd like to be able to secure the job before I move, but that seems incredibly difficult, especially when applying to an entry-level position. Then there's the issue of rent, of how I'm going to need money to be able to move there in the first place. So the best course of action seems to save a grand or two, then move and hope I'm able to get a job. Any advice on this guys? =/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.