U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM

13,097 posts, read 13,485,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Minneapolis is up 65K from its 2010 low, or about 4.0%....not stellar but not exactly flat either. It's one of the better jobs markets in the country. Miami is also up about 100K jobs from its 2010 low, or about 4.5%. Houston's job growth IS amazing, however, and there is nothing I have seen to date that has suggested that growth is going to slow any time soon (at least, not at a regional or micro level).

What I noticed most interesting abou the graphs was the ebb and flow of each graph year-to-year, and within each year! It looks like employment is almost ALWAYS lowest in January and June, and spikes in March and October.
I suspect Houston's growth has a LOT to do with energy (oil,gas). Oil companies continue to rake in record profits, and the shale boom will benefit companies there. I can only imagine what would happen if people actually started to conserve or use alternative sources on a widespread scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,175,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I suspect Houston's growth has a LOT to do with energy (oil,gas).
Probably not as much as most people would think. Medical, manufacturing, tech, professional services have all had a lot of growth in Houston. Energy is not nearly as dominant as it was a few decades ago; I've had three different employers/jobs in Houston and never once have they been energy industry related; on the last one I had two job offers from two different places the same day, and another one calling.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

5,646 posts, read 7,448,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
The BLS January employment numbers are out, which is considered to be the most accurate. It's the actual numbers of people working, which tells a different story than unemployment 'rate'. There are still quite a few cities that have about the same or less employment than 10 years ago and nearly all are well below the 2007/8 peak.

These are metro, not city. Is January 2012 as reported by employers. Does not include self-employed.

Atlanta

Boston

Chicago

Cincy

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

DC

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indy

KC

LA

Miami

Milwaukee

Minneapolis

NYC

Orlando

Philly

Pittsburgh

Portland

San Diego

SF Bay

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa

Source:
Kansas City, MO-KS Economy at a Glance
Why didn't you include Phoenix? I'm sure it took a big hit and I'm curious to see where it is now.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,229,023 times
Apologies for missing PHX... subconsciously think of it as a suburb of LA [teehee]. Phoenix is not too bad considering rest of country. Lost almost 300K jobs since 2008, not good, but at least above 10 years ago. The PHX trend is essentially the same as ATL, DEN, KC and US avg. Not much improvement last 2 years as most cities have, but also relatively not a big hole to come back from.

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/SMS04000000000000001_58573_1331768848920.gif (broken link)

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.az.htm

Last edited by xenokc; 03-14-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 07:34 PM

5,952 posts, read 7,321,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
YOU ARE WRONG.
Using YOUR very own stats I get this:

all time high June 2008 - 1165.3K
Currently -1134.0K

If you are as bad at numbers as you are at graphs I will help you out.

1165 is a bigger number than 1134.

Pittsburgh is NOT at a higher number than their 2008 high.

you are here calling people blind and you don't even know what the heck I'am talking about

don't tell me what to compare, you can't come in now and change my point to suit your point. Fact of the matter is Pittsburgh is NOT passed its 08 high.

and I am done arguing with you. You are just changing things around, even though the facts speak for themselves
You are dead wrong and cant see numbers. Pittsburgh had its highest amount of jobs ever in Nov 2011 with 1171.1 jobs. Now if I'm not mistaken, that's a bigger number than 1165 eh?

Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Pittsburgh is clearly above where they started if you look at where the line starts and where it ends.
It is higher than where it started. A few cities are. But that is not what I said.

I repeated clearly a number of times that ONLY ONE CITY is higher NOW, at the present time, not at some random month with a seasonal spike. than at its 08 peak when the economy took a nose dive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You are dead wrong and cant see numbers. Pittsburgh had its highest amount of jobs ever in Nov 2011 with 1171.1 jobs. Now if I'm not mistaken, that's a bigger number than 1165 eh?
we are not in NOV 2011. fact of the matter still remains. Pittsburgh is not at a higher employment level than its 2008 peak.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:15 PM

29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
nope. Pittsburgh is not higher than its 2008 peak at all.
OK, I missed that little narrow dip at the end of the chart. You're right.

But it looks like Houston is on a little downward trajectory right now, so I wonder if it will remain above the '08 high when the next set of numbers are released.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM

5,952 posts, read 7,321,977 times
Quote:
It is higher than where it started. A few cities are. But that is not what I said.

I repeated clearly a number of times that ONLY ONE CITY is higher NOW, at the present time, not at some random month with a seasonal spike. than at its 08 peak when the economy took a nose dive.

we are not in NOV 2011. fact of the matter still remains. Pittsburgh is not at a higher employment level than its 2008 peak.
J
But you said pittsburgh never had a month better than its 2008 peak and it clearly has. You don't understand you cant make comparisons from jan to Nov because of SEASONAL DIFFERENCES that dictate every January. There's this little thing called Christmas that will always cause Jan jobs to be lower than in Nov in Dec. We still have more jobs in Jan 2012 than Jan 2008 and don't even try to deny that. Under your reasoning with that graph you'll next try to argue we've never recovered jobs wise because we have less jobs this Jan than any summer month. The fact is we have more jobs this jan than any other January before

Last edited by bradjl2009; 03-15-2012 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,167,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, I missed that little narrow dip at the end of the chart. You're right.

But it looks like Houston is on a little downward trajectory right now, so I wonder if it will remain above the '08 high when the next set of numbers are released.
as with seasonal jobs, every city dips after the Xmas peak, Houston was the only one to remain above the 08 high after the down slip after the Xmas jobs dry up.

Will it remain above the 08 peak? Miss Cleo's Guess is as good as mine.

Verizon is getting rid of a ton of low paying jobs in Houston this year, so that may influence the chart. Not sure if they are getting rid of them all at once or in phases. Losing a 1000 jobs is a big hit, even though they are low paying call center jobs.

On the flip side Walmart and Home Depot have are hiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
But you said pittsburgh never had a month better than its 2008 peak and it clearly has. You don't understand you cant make comparisons from jan to Nov because of SEASONAL DIFFERENCES that dictate every January. There's this little thing called Christmas that will always cause Jan jobs to be lower than in Nov in Dec. We still have more jobs in Jan 2012 than Jan 2008 and don't even try to deny that.
But but but... Stop crying man. Pittsburgh is doing well, but stop trying to fit it into this category.

Seasonal difference or not Houston's January numbers , despite the january slump IS higher than its 08 peak.

for the zillionths time it was the only city to post numbers, despite the slump, that was higher than 08's peak.

what is so hard about that for you to understand.

Pittsburgh may pass the 08 peak and stay there but it is not there now.
Don't tell me I am not understanding, you are the one not understanding a simple statement:: PITTSBURGH IS NOT HIGHER THAN ITS 08 PEAK.

Who cares about january 08? I clearly stated before you spent the last few days arguing over nothing, that I was looking at 08's peak levels. I am comparing which city is back passed where it was at its height before the economy crashed. what is so hard about that to understand????

Last edited by HtownLove; 03-15-2012 at 06:16 PM..

Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,229,023 times
Enough of the bickering guys. Houston is tops, Pitt is doing comparatively well but didn't have the boom/bust that other metros have had - Pitt was stable and is improving.

The January numbers for each year are the ones to consider as they don't include seasonal jobs and are considered the most accurate count of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or