U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM

66 posts, read 109,806 times

Advertisements

I think every region has it's up-side and down-side.

As a plus, I like the four seasons, looking forward to snow, watching the leaves change, and visiting places that played a big part in colonial history.

The down-side is that by late February I'm ready for winter to be over, most of our major highways are toll-roads, and the traffic is horrific.

But, I love living in the north because of the variety of the cities, landscapes, and seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 03:46 PM

457 posts, read 436,927 times
Depends on where you live in the north. I live in New England. New Englanders tend to be liberal, are not super religous, there is traffic everywhere and Boston and NYC are considered to be the best cities ever by a lot of people in this area. There is no way to get from here to there even in the cities especially Boston. We are friendly but a lot of people think we aren't friendly because we are reserved sometimes.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM

10 posts, read 11,337 times
I was born and raised in Michigan and have lived in Kentucky for the past 12 years. I am a son of Kentuckians that moved to Detroit to work at GM. The economy forced me to move to the South. I miss hockey.

People in the Midwest and Northeast don't refer to themselves as Northerners. We do identify ourselves as Americans. Only Southerners refer to us as Northerners because "we ain't from around these here parts." There is tension between the two groups due to different life experiences, cultural upbringing, and values, no one should abandon there backgrounds to be accepted. My parents were loved in Michigan because they had respect for other people. Something lacking now days. I blame reality TV.

But the OP asked what is means to be a "Northerner" but, as many pointed out, we don't use that term. However, I will answer that question:

1. Pride in the United States of America and for what Americans have achieved (which is a lot).
2. Pride in those magical words of Made in USA.
3. Many of us are reserved but once we're your friends and treated with respect, we'd be by you in hard times.
4. Very straight forward manner, not to be rude, but it be honest and direct as we have lives to live.
5. North vs South doesn't exist but Ford vs GM vs Chrysler does. Go GM!
6. Many of us are hockey fans along with other activities generally not seen in the South.
7. For those living near Canada, we receive cold Arctic fronts which means snow. So keep up maintaince on the snowmobiles, guys. The cold fronts are much warmer when it reaches the South
8. We, generally, are religious but we don't make a big show of it. My belief in God is between myself and God, not my neighbor.
9. We help our neighbors first after family, if we can.
10. Raised near Ann Arbor, MI, education is very important along with innovation.
11. Halloween is an important day in Midwest or, at least, the Great Lakes region. It's a wonderful harvest celebration.
12. And we care for the environment since we need it for crops and natural beauty. And hunting and fishing. And snowshoeing. And skiing. And snowboarding. And making snow forts to hide from my girlfriend when she has her "visitor".
13. The poem "See It Through" by Edgar Guest explains best how we deal with tough times.

That sums it up. Truthfully, Southerners always made a big deal over the differences of the South and other regions. Many act aggressively over it as well which just reenforces the stereotypes people have of the South. A few Southerners need to relax and, over time, those stereotypes will fade hopefully. Remember, we're all Americans.

God bless the USA!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM

13 posts, read 10,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Pennsylvania does not really touch the south from a modern standpoint. Maryland and Delaware are every bit as much a part of the Mid-Atlantic, and don't give me "the census bureau says" because they are simply wrong to use the PA border from a cultural, demographic, and linguistic standpoint. And the northern third of WV is more affiliated with the north than the south.
Agree! I hate the census map because they're way too broad from a geographical, and cultural standpoint and especially in modern times. I mean OK you have the western part of the state, Delaware is NOT southern, Most of Maryland is not southern today except parts of the eastern shore. Then you have Texas and El paso for example, and western texas near NM that is the southwest.

Then of course we have Missouri. Parts of our states are in different geographic areas and a chunk of Missouri isn't even Midwestern (25%) of the state in southern Missouri. I think they should make more detailed classifications of regions. Like the 25 percent of Missouri that is in the south should be lumped in with other southern regions. The bootheel for example is the midsouth, and is closer aligned with NE AR, western TN, and northern Mississippi than the midwest!

Delaware and Maryland are much less southern than Missouri yet they're labled southern. Even back at the outbreak of the civil war DE wasn't really that southern anymore.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 17 days ago)

8,681 posts, read 10,833,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I am a Southerner, and we are often asked what it means to be Southern. Our culture is the most debated in the United States, praised and condemned with equal passion. I would like to turn this around and ask what it means to be a Northerner. What "Northern" values are praised or condemned? God bless.
Being a northerner means you walk fast and talk fast, and chew gum, and stand on 1 foot while you're reading your mail and listening to your Mp3 player. Well, this northerner.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:49 AM

44,703 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No one has ever asked me such a question and I can't imagine why they would. North or South who cares? What a silly thing to be obsessed with.

If you call this discussion an "obsession," I have to wonder what you find to talk about every day.

"Do you think it's going to get cold enough to wear a jacket this evening?"

"NO ONE HAS EVER ASKED ME SUCH A QUESTION! I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY THEY WOULD! JACKET OR NO JACKET - WHO CARES? WHAT A SILLY THING TO BE OBSESSED ABOUT!"

"Which team do you think is the strongest this year - the Patriots or the Giants?"

"NO ONE HAS EVER ASKED ME SUCH A QUESTION! I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY THEY WOULD! PATRIOTS OR GIANTS - WHO CARES? WHAT A SILLY THING TO BE OBSESSED ABOUT!"

Old 07-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yes I think Southerners are obsessed with that question and distinction of identity. Its stupid and I think they are the only ones who think about stuff like that.
Yo mama.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Then people on here overreacted. Usually hearing the word Yankee or Northerner seems like its a really bad thing coming from a Southerner that can make people feel defensive. When Southerners come visit here I am always very polite and view them as fellow Americans not Southerners. Although regional differences are interesting its the feeling that Northerners get when they live in the South that they can never truly assimilate that leads to this tension.
Don't you think that's a common human trait though, especially in small towns? I've lived all over the place, and every time I've moved, there's been a (usually temporary) feeling that I was an outsider. I came to realize that feeling comes more from my own insecurities than from other people.

I'm a Southerner but I've also lived in Ohio and Maryland. The people in both those places were very friendly - as a transplanted southerner I felt very comfortable with the people. It's just the unfamiliarity with the surroundings that can make one feel like a fish out of water for awhile.

Southerners may comment on a Northern accent, or make jokes about where you're from, but as a Southerner who has lived and traveled all over the world, and been a corporate trainer all over the US, I can PROMISE you that I've received my fair share of jokes and jabs about my accent and my Southern roots.

Most people are just being conversational, and are actually more interested than critical when it comes to differences. Don't be overly sensitive. It's unattractive.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I can counter that with my wife who just took a job Monday in southern Delaware and brought in a bunch of food today to break the ice because since she got there, all she has been called is a Yank and northerner. So today she left her lights on and her car battery was dead and since she has jumper cables she asked 5 of the women that she works with for help and they told her "tough **** yank" and "too bad".
So don't freakin tell me how nice all southerners are, cause they're NOT.

The best part is these nitwits don't even know that southerners, real southerners consider them to Yanks as well.
You think southern Delaware is the American south? Wow! That's a stretch!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
jazz? blues?

in another thread, someone asked if there are parts of the north that been southernized, the way parts of the south have recently become northernized. Prior to my post, no one, not the northerners OR the southerners, pointed out that almost every large northern city had one or more neighborhoods that had become culturally southern at the time of the great migration of african americans.

White Americans, for the most part, do not think of african americans as southerners. period.
WHAT????????

Most of the South is at least 30 percent African American in population. Most of the larger cities are over 40 percent - some up to 65 percent - African American. Speaking as a white Southerner, I can assure you that the majority of us know and accept and love our African American neighbors as fellow Americans AND southerners. In many ways, we share much more in common with the southern African American community than we do with other demographic groups in the US - this commonality is reflected in our food, music, schools, even our religious expressions.

My family of southern dirt farmers grew up working side by side in the fields with their African American neighbors. Now they work side by side in the oilfield, and banking, education, retail, you name it.

Maybe the division you're feeling has it's roots in your own heart. Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or