U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
See that's the funny thing you cut part of my post off.

"Parts of the south there's a clear influence of: Spanish, french, Irish, Scottish, English and even African cultures influences. And than after the civil war people from rural areas different parts of the south, and business leaders from up north started coming down south to the cities. And now that the great migration is reversing blacks are moving to different states from where are ancestors were."

So I guess millions of black Africans from different tribes is homogeneous, I guess the various different colonial influence is homogeneous.

And you miss what I was saying the history of Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, West Virginia and etc are so not the same thing. Southern culture is really a group of cultures. The south despite the diversity started to identify as a regions with things later on like the Civil war and etc. The North never caught up a bond and pride in being northerners

Upland South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gulf Coast of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right on.

Six Flags isn't called that just to be cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 07:27 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,648,007 times
Does the Pacific Northwest count as northern or are Westerners yet another breed?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Does the Pacific Northwest count as northern or are Westerners yet another breed?
Another breed. I don't think of Pacific Northwesterns as Northerners at all. Distinct like Southwesterners from Southern folks.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:04 AM

451 posts, read 593,180 times
In the North, the further West you go, the more laid back they get.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 PM

48 posts, read 58,962 times
What does it mean to be a northerner?

Most folks from the north live in urban areas and shovel their sidewalks when they have 2 or 3 feet of snow on the ground. They like the fast pace lifestyle plus they talk proper like they pronounce all of the words the closest to how they should actually be pronounced.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
No I'm just pointing out PA isn't ultra liberal state as another poster claimed.
It seems like every heavily liberal state in the United States has at least one adjacent state that's relatively conservative. Think of California vs. Arizona, Illinois vs. Indiana, and Massachusetts vs. New Hampshire. Pennsylvania seems to be emerging as the "conservative" counterpart to New York, New Jersey and Maryland, even though it's pretty moderate overall. But then that makes the state pretty maligned. It's still considered "too liberal" by many Southerners, but then people in other Northern states say it's "backwards" because it's not in lock step with liberal dogma. For example, it's the only state in the Northeast never to participate in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, which was a "cap and trade" agreement. It's also taken a more pro-natural gas stance than New York has, even though both states are on top of the Marcellus Shale.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,662 times
Default Northeast

I've lived in Mass my whole life and I can honestly say if your nice here you will get taken advantage of. People are always in a hurry, everyone has road rage, if soccer moms carried guns we would all be dead. The yuppies think they own planet earth and deserve everything. The liberals want a law made against everything that bothers them... the latest leaf blowers. I don't even want to begin to comment about the 2 lower New England states... all I will say about them is... they should go back to horse and buggy... just as bad as NJ drivers. I guess if your a jerk you won't mind it though... that's probably why I am still here

Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I am a Southerner, and we are often asked what it means to be Southern. Our culture is the most debated in the United States, praised and condemned with equal passion. I would like to turn this around and ask what it means to be a Northerner. What "Northern" values are praised or condemned? God bless.
You aren't a wimp when it gets cold...and I'm talking about real cold (sub 20 F), not at or below 50 F.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
You aren't a wimp when it gets cold...and I'm talking about real cold (sub 20 F)....
wimp

Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,662,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
wimp
Owned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or