U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 AM

7,596 posts, read 9,448,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Actually, I do believe the North is not monolithic. I think the cultural differences between Midwesterners and Northeasterners are just as wide, if not wider, than those between the North and South in general. Come to think of it, the idea of a common "Midwest" culture seems inaccurate. How many cultural factors unite people in Ohio rust belt cities with people living in the dwindling communities of the western Dakotas? Yet they are all considered part of the Midwest!
I don't claim that the North is monolithic, just that there are some similarities, from sports to weather to 19th cent Catholic immigration, etc. Even my speech patterns, formed in northern New England, are undistinguishable from those in many parts of Wisconsin ( I don't have the Bostonian accent, and many don't in other New Eng areas)..

It's hard to be monolithic in any region, whether it's from Ohio-North Dakota, or Pennsylvania-Maine, Virginia-Florida, or Tennessee-Texas. But there's always the need to be organized...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
No one has ever asked me such a question and I can't imagine why they would. North or South who cares? What a silly thing to be obsessed with.
Actually, I thought it was a very good question. As a Texan and Southerner, I am genuinely curious and interested in the various answers (and there have been some good ones).

Just because it is asked doesn't mean one is "obsessed" with it...or (as some seem to think...) still fighting the War Between the States. One of the things that makes our common nation so interesting and worthy of discussion is the diversity (the REAL McCoy, not the PC type) between various states and regions!

It would be very boring and bland if such were not true....

Old 03-14-2012, 12:26 PM

7,735 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Not a Damn thing

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM

350 posts, read 630,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Has it occured to you that maybe the question is asked to point out to you what life is like to us when people keep asking the Southern question. We in the South are not obsessed with this, but we are constantly having to defend our being who we are. I have heard statements like, "They can't get over the Civil War." Yes, we can, but some Northerners posting on here are having difficulty getting over it. They still throw it up to us as a way to put us down. The Civil War happened over 100 yeas ago and it is really nothing I think about on a daily basis. It happened, get over it.

Nebraska wasn't even a state prior to the Civil War. I assure you that no one here thinks about it. Maybe New Yorkers that have relocated down South so I will admit I'm sure there are Northerners that fixate on the question too much as well.

We also have things thrown in our direction that we were not the author of in the laws. Southerners had very little power to do anything right after the Civil War, but we are still blamed for things the United States did to the blacks that had nothing to do with us. And who is responsible for bringing the slaves to America in the first place--Northern Ships!

The shipowners are just as blameworthy as the plantation owners. The people who deserve the blame for slavery have been dead for at least 100 years. So sorry if crazy people still make you feel blamed!

A teacher I had once explained the difference between the North and the South like this. A black person after the Civil War was freed and was hungry. He went to the Northern carpetbeggars home and asked for food at the front door. He was told to go away. He then went down the street and asked a native of the South for food. He was told to go around to the kitchen door and was invited in to the kitchen to eat.

This teacher perpetuated animosity and reinforced the difference between the two regions. The treatment in this story could easily have been the other way around.

The impression most people from the North give me is that they are very selfish, money and having a large house is important to them, many see mentioning being a Christian is a weakness, they seem to like to outdo each other and love to rub it in when they do.

Quite the opposite. While this might be true in the Northeast megalopolis, here in the small town Midwest it is looked down upon to show off and not help your neighbor. We are very religious and strongly Christian. I have seen some sickening greed and materialism in Charlotte, NC, Atlanta, GA, Birmingham, AL, and a number of other southern cities (and a lot of this was even from native Southerners!)

You see that on here with the towns almost worshiping their city's ball team. I have even heard people on here make statements that a city is nothing because it does not have a ball team.

We love Husker FOOTBALL!

So I have another question for Northerners, "How do you all live together up there in peace when everybody knows more than everybody else." And I have another question, "When everybody up there is busy taking care of their neighbor's business, who is taking care of your business." It just seems to me like it would be a better idea if we all took care of our own business and showed respect for our neighbor and left them alone unless they need our help and ask for it.

I don't think this is a regional thing this happens anywhere.

Just calling things like I see them and I have seen a lot since I just retired from a public job in a county that was the fastest growing county in America for two years in a row. We built a good life for ourselves and now everybody wants to be here.
Overrapid growth is not a good thing. Often the places where everyone wants to be have soaring real estate prices and a very difficult job market. Where I lived in SC the county I lived in grew rapidly but unemployment skyrocketed and there were hundreds of foreclosures. Although it was beautiful and may have been a "good life" at one time or might be if one were retired and had beaucoup bucks, or it might be if one is lucky enough to have a job, it wasn't for me so I left.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I am a Southerner, and we are often asked what it means to be Southern. Our culture is the most debated in the United States, praised and condemned with equal passion. I would like to turn this around and ask what it means to be a Northerner. What "Northern" values are praised or condemned? God bless.
I think there are different types of values and qualities that each northern area has. For example, New York, Pennsylvania, and other Middle States are a little different but still similar to the New England states like Connecticut, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island.

However, the Middle and New England states are much more different than midwestern northern states like Ohio and Indiana. Then you have more traditional northern states like Montana and Washington.

I'm a New Englander but have spent a large portion of my life living in NY. People say I have a New England accent most similar to a Rhode Island accent, but I don't think I do. When I visited Florida, tons of people knew I had NYC roots.

From a northerner's perspective, the south is MUCH more different than the north. You guys seem to enjoy taking it slow on the roads, and while talking, and while at stop signs, and while doing many other things. As I continue to experience the world, I notice that a lot of northerners really are overly impatient and southerners seem to have a more relaxed, friendly, laid-back mentality.

I guess some of the stereotypes are true.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Actually, I thought it was a very good question. As a Texan and Southerner, I am genuinely curious and interested in the various answers (and there have been some good ones).

Just because it is asked doesn't mean one is "obsessed" with it...or (as some seem to think...) still fighting the War Between the States. One of the things that makes our common nation so interesting and worthy of discussion is the diversity (the REAL McCoy, not the PC type) between various states and regions!

It would be very boring and bland if such were not true....
Then people on here overreacted. Usually hearing the word Yankee or Northerner seems like its a really bad thing coming from a Southerner that can make people feel defensive. When Southerners come visit here I am always very polite and view them as fellow Americans not Southerners. Although regional differences are interesting its the feeling that Northerners get when they live in the South that they can never truly assimilate that leads to this tension.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:33 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
As a Midwesterner (which I call myself rather than a Northerner) it means hard work, thrift, good moral values, family, community, ability to deal with a difficult climate and natural disasters, responsibility, respect. We are also pretty laid back, a lot more so than I have observed in the Northeast.
Apart, perhaps, from the 'laid-back' part, you just described the Yankee Northeasterner stereotype which still thrives from down-east Maine to Niagara Falls.

What separates the Northeast from the Midwest, however, is the influence of waves of immigration over the decades from Ireland, Portugal, Italy and Hispanic parts of the Caribbean, all of who are in general, less laid back in nature than the stalwart central and northern Europeans who settled the Midwest.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Apart, perhaps, from the 'laid-back' part, you just described the Yankee Northeasterner stereotype which still thrives from down-east Maine to Niagara Falls.

What separates the Northeast from the Midwest, however, is the influence of waves of immigration over the decades from Ireland, Portugal, Italy and Hispanic parts of the Caribbean, all of who are in general, less laid back in nature than the stalwart central and northern Europeans who settled the Midwest.
Then maybe there is a lot more in common between the Northeast and Midwest than I thought.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:46 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,668,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I think SCentralNEGuy has it right though. People in Chicago are much more laid back than people in a lot of Northeastern cities like NYC or Boston.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,567,767 times
The north is more quintessentially American while the south is very distinct within America. That's not a value judgement of goodness or badness, just my observation. Also, "northern-ness" seems less important to northerners than "southern-ness" is to southerners. Most northerners seem content to just be Americans. Most southerners seem really into being southern. Again, not a value judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or