Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 04:35 PM

468 posts, read 780,338 times

Advertisements

I am a Southerner, and we are often asked what it means to be Southern. Our culture is the most debated in the United States, praised and condemned with equal passion. I would like to turn this around and ask what it means to be a Northerner. What "Northern" values are praised or condemned? God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times
The Northern states are generally not as cohesive, or so it seems, as the Southern states. Both New York and Minnesota, for example, are Northern states, but their national images are pretty far apart, even if they aren't entirely true.

Both the Northeast and the Midwest comprise the North, and there are a few similarities, but people tend to emphasize the differences ( the Bos-Wash corrider of the Northeast, and the vast corn and soybean fields of the Midwest), forgetting that there are rural areas in northern New England, and large cities like Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit in the Midwest.

Historically, there is the shared experience of being on the same side in the Civil War, and a topography in both ( esp northern sections) which has great numbers of lakes and forests, and a shared sporting history ( most professional baseball, football, basketball and hockey teams until about 1960 were from either the Northeast or the Midwest). There is also the common experience of cold weather and heavy snow. After that, it's up to individual interpretation....

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
It means you spend more to heat your house in the winter, and you own more wool clothing.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
It means that you, or someone you know, says "Yo."

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM

350 posts, read 737,105 times
As a Midwesterner (which I call myself rather than a Northerner) it means hard work, thrift, good moral values, family, community, ability to deal with a difficult climate and natural disasters, responsibility, respect. We are also pretty laid back, a lot more so than I have observed in the Northeast.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
What does it mean to be a northerner. It depends on whether you are from the midwest or the northeast. I am from Michigan so I guess my answer will be quite midwestern. Ill let northeasterners define themselves. Midwesterners are more reserved in general, than people are in the south. People in the south are very open, friendly, and they tend to wear thier hearts on thier sleeves. Midwesterners are different, while we are friendly we are just more reserved. The stereotype of the midwest as being dull boring middle America may be somewhat true. This really is average America, we tend to reject flashy, gaudy and all things that are bold, this is not the west coast. We are slower paced than the northeast, slightly faster paced than parts of the south. We like the outdoors, hunting and fishing are huge here, so is camping. People here really get into sports, from pro sports right on down to small town high school stuff. People in the cities are REALLY into thier sports teams. Weve been hurt really bad by all the offshoring of jobs so we are really into buying American. We drive chevys, fords and chryslers here. The south is known for being politically conservative, the yankee northeast for liberal extremes. We are neither, this is swing state country although traditional values still prevail here. To alot of people winter toughness is a source of pride, we measure snow by the foot and face subzero weather for weeks on end. (this winter has been easy though) Winter acitities like ice fishing, skiing and snowmobiling are a big part of winter here. This is my short answer to a kind of big question.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What does it mean to be a northerner. It depends on whether you are from the midwest or the northeast. I am from Michigan so I guess my answer will be quite midwestern. Ill let northeasterners define themselves. Midwesterners are more reserved in general, than people are in the south. People in the south are very open, friendly, and they tend to wear thier hearts on thier sleeves. Midwesterners are different, while we are friendly we are just more reserved. The stereotype of the midwest as being dull boring middle America may be somewhat true. This really is average America, we tend to reject flashy, gaudy and all things that are bold, this is not the west coast. We are slower paced than the northeast, slightly faster paced than parts of the south. We like the outdoors, hunting and fishing are huge here, so is camping. People here really get into sports, from pro sports right on down to small town high school stuff. People in the cities are REALLY into thier sports teams. Weve been hurt really bad by all the offshoring of jobs so we are really into buying American. We drive chevys, fords and chryslers here. The south is known for being politically conservative, the yankee northeast for liberal extremes. We are neither, this is swing state country although traditional values still prevail here. To alot of people winter toughness is a source of pride, we measure snow by the foot and face subzero weather for weeks on end. (this winter has been easy though) Winter acitities like ice fishing, skiing and snowmobiling are a big part of winter here. This is my short answer to a kind of big question.

That sums it up quite well and I can't really change much!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,854,459 times
we are generally on edge because of the threat of an attack by Canada

Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
we are generally on edge because of the threat of an attack by Canada
Or illegal immigrants from Ohio

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,738,241 times
No one has ever asked me such a question and I can't imagine why they would. North or South who cares? What a silly thing to be obsessed with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.