Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
No...just no. You need to look at the entire voting for state and federal government before determining if a state is blue, red, or moderate. If you look at PA as a whole it is definitely a moderate state if not the model moderate state.
OK a moderate state. Either way the main point is that PA is not traditionally a red state. Your just beating a dead horse here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yes I am including those states. I just wish Southerners would be nicer to us. I am proud to be a Midwesterner and I guess some of my comments about Missouri had been made, never having spent much time there and simply looking at the landscape that I drove through on I-44 that had trees and hills and few fields which felt more "southern" to me than a drive on say I-80 in Iowa. It is undeniable to me that St. Louis and Kansas City are Midwestern cities but what about Springfield and Rolla? Other than going to McDonalds I spent very little time off the interstate. I guess I am afraid that south of I-70 in Missouri there would be the same hostility as in Arkansas and that the latitude is the same as borderline southern states or states with southern elements to them further to the east. As crazy as this sounds I feel like if I go too deep into Kansas I am afraid I may encounter some of these elements as well! If I go South I like going to New Mexico and Arizona because its an entirely different region altogether and one not marred by the hostility of the past!
Maybe I don't know about a personal experience you've had, but I don't know of any common hostility to midwesterners in the south.

By the way, Rolla isn't particularly southern culturally. Your probably around 30-40 miles north of where the southern influence really becomes apparent. I get the "Your not from around here are ya" in Rolla sometimes (not meant as an insult by the way, just curiosity) but it's coming from the other direction. (Meaning people think I'm from Tennessee usually)

Old 03-19-2012, 09:29 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
OK a moderate state. Either way the main point is that PA is not traditionally a red state. Your just beating a dead horse here.
No I'm just pointing out PA isn't ultra liberal state as another poster claimed.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Yes I am including those states. I just wish Southerners would be nicer to us. I am proud to be a Midwesterner and I guess some of my comments about Missouri had been made, never having spent much time there and simply looking at the landscape that I drove through on I-44 that had trees and hills and few fields which felt more "southern" to me than a drive on say I-80 in Iowa. It is undeniable to me that St. Louis and Kansas City are Midwestern cities but what about Springfield and Rolla? Other than going to McDonalds I spent very little time off the interstate. I guess I am afraid that south of I-70 in Missouri there would be the same hostility as in Arkansas and that the latitude is the same as borderline southern states or states with southern elements to them further to the east. As crazy as this sounds I feel like if I go too deep into Kansas I am afraid I may encounter some of these elements as well! If I go South I like going to New Mexico and Arizona because its an entirely different region altogether and one not marred by the hostility of the past!
I will give you this...at least you admit your mistakes, unlike the vast majority on here.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The big difference is that the diversity of immigrants in the South is much more recent in that the influx of immigrants really started taking off in the South about 20-30 years ago. In the Northeast this has been going on for about 150-200 years. The constant flow of diverse immigrant groups is nothing new in the Northeast. The South for a large part of its history has been mostly homogenous in its population with not a lot of new immigrants coming in. That in turn has given the South a more distinct culture than the rest of the regions in the country.
See that's the funny thing you cut part of my post off.

"Parts of the south there's a clear influence of: Spanish, french, Irish, Scottish, English and even African cultures influences. And than after the civil war people from rural areas different parts of the south, and business leaders from up north started coming down south to the cities. And now that the great migration is reversing blacks are moving to different states from where are ancestors were."

So I guess millions of black Africans from different tribes is homogeneous, I guess the various different colonial influence is homogeneous.

And you miss what I was saying the history of Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, West Virginia and etc are so not the same thing. Southern culture is really a group of cultures. The south despite the diversity started to identify as a regions with things later on like the Civil war and etc. The North never caught up a bond and pride in being northerners

Upland South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gulf Coast of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
No I'm just pointing out PA isn't ultra liberal state as another poster claimed.
Philadelphia is a blue collar Democratic city. The suburbs of Philadelphia are prosperous and more libertarian. Northeast PA, around the I-81 corridor, is still intermixed between industrial and post-industrial, Reagan democrats. Very eastern PA along the Delaware Valley is an extension of western NJ. Pittsburgh's pattern is somewhat like Philadelphia's, on a lesser spatial scale. Much of the central core of PA is conservative. Pennsylvania, in other words, is a dynamic state, much the same way most states are.

The most intellectually politcally lazy way to categorize a state is by taking the results of a presidential election, and labeling the entire state one way or another. You have to look at the gubenatorial, the state senate and house chambers, right on down.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Philadelphia is a blue collar Democratic city. The suburbs of Philadelphia are prosperous and more libertarian. Northeast PA, around the I-81 corridor, is still intermixed between industrial and post-industrial, Reagan democrats. Very eastern PA along the Delaware Valley is an extension of western NJ. Pittsburgh's pattern is somewhat like Philadelphia's, on a lesser spatial scale. Much of the central core of PA is conservative. Pennsylvania, in other words, is a dynamic state, much the same way most states are.

The most intellectually politcally lazy way to categorize a state is by taking the results of a presidential election, and labeling the entire state one way or another. You have to look at the gubenatorial, the state senate and house chambers, right on down.

Pretty good description

Also look at the amount of time candidates from both parties will spend in the 4 counties around Philly and TV spend in the Philly market. These 4 counties (Philadelphia county excluded) are among the highest spend and generally can go either direction while much of the remainder of the state is fairly diverse but less maliable in some ways.

These are widely considered some of the most important counties in the whole electoral college as they can swing PA which like OH has traditionally been a swing state in presdiential elections.

But I would agree there is much overall diversity in the state and runs a wide right to left gamut and a large number of folks in the middle

Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM

468 posts, read 786,080 times
Quote:
You might want to check your link again since it shows at the bottom PA being red and when it was blue was only counting Presidential elections.

Not to mention we have 8 year republican governor rule then 8 years democratic governor rule with the cycle repeating itself. We had two republican senators from 2000-2006 and now we have a democrat and a republican senator. Our state legislature is completely controlled by the republicans. Or the fact Pennsylvania could very well vote republican in this Presidential election.

Sorry man but were a moderate state that bounces back and forth.
Where did that map come from? If it was for the last presidential election, Arkansas and Mississippi voted Republican and are thus "red".

Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM

468 posts, read 786,080 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Maybe I don't know about a personal experience you've had, but I don't know of any common hostility to midwesterners in the south.

By the way, Rolla isn't particularly southern culturally. Your probably around 30-40 miles north of where the southern influence really becomes apparent. I get the "Your not from around here are ya" in Rolla sometimes (not meant as an insult by the way, just curiosity) but it's coming from the other direction. (Meaning people think I'm from Tennessee usually)
The pianist/organist at my Mississippi Delta church is a Norwegian-American originally from South Dakota who is also a music professor at the university in my town. I've poked fun at her background but I don't think she was offended by it.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:55 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Pretty good description

Also look at the amount of time candidates from both parties will spend in the 4 counties around Philly and TV spend in the Philly market. These 4 counties (Philadelphia county excluded) are among the highest spend and generally can go either direction while much of the remainder of the state is fairly diverse but less maliable in some ways.

These are widely considered some of the most important counties in the whole electoral college as they can swing PA which like OH has traditionally been a swing state in presdiential elections.

But I would agree there is much overall diversity in the state and runs a wide right to left gamut and a large number of folks in the middle
I think KidPhilly is right: the 4 collar counties surrounding Philly, the big ones, Montgomery, Bucks, Chester, and Delaware, are the malleable ones, and the ones in which most state-wide elections (as well as presidential) tilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.