U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,531,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Wisconsin has Miller Park and Lambeau Field which fit perfectly... I'm not sure what the situation is for Bradley Center
Miller Park is technically named for the Miller Brewing Company, though as the company is named after the founder, Frederick Miller, it doesn't come off as corporate-sounding as Invesco Field.

The Bradley Center was named for Harry Lynde Bradley, father to Jane Petit, the wife of the couple that donated funds to build the arena.

Lambeau Field is named after Curly Lambeau, of course. There was a joke that if the naming rights were ever sold, it ought to be to the Lac du Flambeau tribe, so that it could be called "Flambeau Field".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:04 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
I remember when the Rangers Ballpark was named "Ameriquest Field" and it had this cheep (http://www.flickr.com/photos/akaufmann/16980973/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link) thing in the park... Thank God they got rid of that and it's once again called (Rangers) Ballpark in Arlington.

You also have here in the Metroplex:

- American Airlines Center (with AMR headquartered in Fort Worth)
- Dr. Pepper Ballpark (formerly named Dr. Pepper/7UP Ballpark.... yeah, in Frisco)
- FC Dallas Park (formerly Pizza Hut Park in Frisco)
- Dr. Pepper Arena (mainly a practice facility for the Dallas Stars, ALSO in Frisco)

Cowboys Stadium was supposed to have AT&T slapped on, but I'm glad there has been no sign of a corporate sponsor. I would still perfer Texas Stadium or Tom Landry Stadium, but whatever...

Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,616,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I absolutely HATE the name "University of Phoenix" Stadium where the Cardinals play. An absolutely beautiful stadium with such a stupid, tarnished name. A stadium that comes across sounding like a college stadium...a nontraditional and online university with no sports nonetheless . Although UOP employs many people in Phoenix, I really could do with less University of Phoenix in Phoenix (or even Glendale for that matter).
or anywhere else, for that matter.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
I miss the FU Center name in Philly, now Wachovia prior was First Union (FU for short)

Old 03-14-2012, 01:14 PM

In the sports complex in Philly even the "Philly" Live facility opening this month was corporate branded as the Xfinity Live with the CBS Sportszone a sign of the times

Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Wow! I'm surprised that no one has named the first corporate named stadium, Wrigley Field in Chicago. So, this actually is not something new.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,117,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I miss the FU Center name in Philly, now Wachovia prior was First Union (FU for short)
It's the Wells Fargo Center now.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,459,739 times
Well the Meadowlands have completely gone corporate. Giants Stadium is now Met Life Stadium but every Giants fan I know still calls it Giants Stadium. At least the name change made it easier for Jets fans .
The Prudential Center is a new arena so I'll give a pass and it has helped enliven parts of Newark so it seems like a good idea. Still miss Meadowlands Arena though, even thought Izod Center was a good name.

Citi Field is an interesting case. Alot of Mets fans, including myself, hated the name change from Shea Stadium since the old name honored the man who helped bring NY a second baseball team again. However, when you think about it, the name isnt really that bad and quite frankly, I think of Manhattan when I say Citi Field instead of Citibank.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM

4,266 posts, read 6,348,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow! I'm surprised that no one has named the first corporate named stadium, Wrigley Field in Chicago. So, this actually is not something new.

The one name In Chicago that I cannot stand, howver, is US Cellular Field. That is a mouthful. Hard to say and means nothing. I and many of the folks I know in Chicago still call the the place where the White Sox play Comiskey.

But happily, here in NYC, the new Yankee Stadium that was a built a few years ago is still called "Yankee Stadium."

I still slip and call Citifield Shea Stadium sometimes. But since no one goes to see the pitiful broke Mets anymore, who cares!!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
It's the Wells Fargo Center now.

Shows how well the branding works on me, you are right though and I should know as I have been to Sixers and Flyers games there within the past month

That thing has changed names so many times (Was first the Core States Center I believe)

It is like a tree ring naming for the banking industry

Actually all the Philly arenas/stadiums are somehow financial related come to think of it

The Linc, CBP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or