Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Sports stadiums use to be named for the most part with identifiable names associated with the local area or in honor of local citizens (Fenway, Astrodome, Madison Square, Shea Stadium etc..) and some still are but so many major league sports facilities are be branded and then rebranded again with coporate names, and quite frankly some of them are totally lame. Take Denver for example. The Broncos had played at Mile High Stadium (very much a trademark association to the city). Then a new stadium was built and it was called Invesco Field at Mile High. Now it's Sports Authority Field. Really? I wonder how locals react to this. I wonder how many just diss the corporate name altogether and still just call it Mile High. Candlestick Park in San Francisco went through some corporate branded names (dot com whatever field or something like that) before retreating back to Candlestick Park again.

What's the story in other cities. Are the sports facilities named appropriately, or at least by a corporation that has a strong affiliation to the local metro area or are they being branded and rebranded again with corporate names that people could care less about. Do locals call the facilities by their branded names or by their original ones? Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
With Safeco (Seattle), I remember at first, they were trying to get people to nickname it "The Safe"... except, people didn't really generally bite onto it. It just remains "Safeco Field" (of course, no point in referring it as "Kingdome"... there's no dome and its a different stadium). Our football stadium was "Qwest Field"... now they just changed it to "CenturyLink Field". There were commentary about the Corporate "Takeovers" on our local culture... but people just kinda blew it off. It wasn't a difficult transition for the name change.

Its not just Stadiums and arenas. We have a mall area... for the longest time known as Southcenter Mall. Well, Westfield brought it. Wanted everyone to call it Westfield mall. Except, that didn't happen. People kept referring it to Southcenter. They ended up changing it to "Westfield Mall at Southcenter" (and if you watch the local news, the anchors take the time to say the whole thing instead of saying just Southcenter mall. So odd). Of course, the big difference between the Southcenter mall and those stadiums? Those stadiums were brand-new so there's not yet a public affiliation with any name.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Here in San Antonio, the AT&T Center has always had a brand name attached to it since it opened in 2002, so nobody calls it anything else. The city's other professional sports venues do not have corporate branding.

IMO, branded names are going to be the norm because of the money generated by the sale of naming rights, and it will be unusual to see a US pro venue that doesn't sport some sponsor's name.

Last edited by Bo; 03-13-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Tie PoE

Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Candlestick Park in San Francisco went through some corporate branded names (dot com whatever field or something like that) before retreating back to Candlestick Park again.
Thank God for that. Prefer the old-fashioned convention.

I had a feeling that Qwest Stadium in Seattle would go to Century Link Stadium. Sounds really stupid.

What are you going to do? It's not going away.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Its a mixed bag for me.

I absolutely hate the name Minute Maid Park. Enron Field was more classic
The Summit changed to Compaq Center now its Lakewood Church
Reliant Center is kind of cool.

Toyota Center is kinda Bla.

The New Soccer Stadium here is gonna be called BBVA Compass- corporate branding to the overload

Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
The Louisiana Superdome is now the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, first corporate sponsor and I like it, couldn't think of a better corporate sponsor myself.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,963 times
I understand it is a necessary evil. As a tax payer I am not turning my nose at a company paying tens of millions to put their name on the facility.

That being said I wish more cities would work with their local corporations in terms of naming. Like in Minneapolis how Target(HQed there) has their name on the basketball and baseball venues.

Or here in Omaha our new baseball stadium is TD Ameritrade Park. I like how at least an Omaha company put their name on the building.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM

8,615 posts, read 10,143,894 times
I absolutely HATE the name "University of Phoenix" Stadium where the Cardinals play. An absolutely beautiful stadium with such a stupid, tarnished name. A stadium that comes across sounding like a college stadium...a nontraditional and online university with no sports nonetheless . Although UOP employs many people in Phoenix, I really could do with less University of Phoenix in Phoenix (or even Glendale for that matter).

Chase Field (Diamondbacks) - Nice park...not so bad name and not a far departure from it's former name Bank One Ballpark (BOB) because of the merger between Chase and Bank One.

US Airways Center (Suns) - name not a far departure from America West Arena (another merger that turns into a name change).

Jobing.com Arena (Coyotes) - great arena, another stupid name...might as well just call it Westgate, although I'm sure it's an excellent venue for job fairs (just the people without jobs aren't going to see the Coyotes there). I'll still take it over Whataburger Field, Dunken' Donuts Center, or PETCO Park (I always think of a dog show)...

Last edited by AZLiam; 03-13-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome, But now i keep hearing Mall of America Field. Of course Humphrey was the 38th vice president and is from Minnesota.

Target Field and Target Center are perfect because of the Headquarters in Minneapolis

Xcel Energy Center, Xcel is also headquartered in Minneapolis

TCF Bank Stadium. TCF = Twin City Federal which is headquartered in Wayzata

Wisconsin has Miller Park and Lambeau Field which fit perfectly... I'm not sure what the situation is for Bradley Center

I'm interested in hearing about is the Dolphins Stadium. It seems like they change names every season.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:15 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,483 times
One name for a minor league park was rejected: Miller Lite Stadium in San Antonio (it's instead named for a former mayor). Another scuttled sponsorship was "The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn Humanitarian Bowl." They were going to offer $1 million/yr to the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.