U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,282,342 times
Reputation: 16497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Can you guys please read what I say! It's not because its a hassle; they don't open the door because of their religion. Did you read when I said "they were taught that Jehovah Witnesses are bad people"? if it was some Christian organization that came by the house once a month, we probably wouldve opened the door once or twice but after that we just wouldn't open it. With Jehovah Witnesses we just didn't open it at all because my parents said "they are bad people, they don't believe in blah blah and so on".

Definition of Egocentric
1. Having or regarding the self or individual as the center of all things
2. Having little or regard for interest, beliefs, or attitudes other than one's own.
Just because your parents are like that doesn't mean that is how Americans are in general. I'm sorry you have parents like that, but don't try to classify the rest of the nation like them.

If you want to make a thread and complain about an extremely small percentage of the country, so be it. But title it just like that "I think America has a very small percentage of close minded people" , but please don't generalize the entire nation because of a small population of close minded people that you'll see anywhere.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,236,438 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Americans need to travel outside their country and culture. Being insular and exposed to only the media that reinforces our particular viewpoint is a very dangerous thing. To travel and expose oneself to other people and places has a profound way in bringing balance to arrogance. It won't work for everyone but it will work for many.
Actually, to be quite honest, I've been to both Mexico and the U.K...both times I was thrilled to return to my own country. I don't know what other countries are like, but from my limited stay outside of this country, I would not want to live anywhere else besides the U.S. except maybe Canada.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times
Reputation: 11141
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Actually, to be quite honest, I've been to both Mexico and the U.K...both times I was thrilled to return to my own country. I don't know what other countries are like, but from my limited stay outside of this country, I would not want to live anywhere else besides the U.S. except maybe Canada.
Preferring to live in ones country over others does not automatically signify arrogance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Status: "Greenville Works" (set 4 days ago)
 
3,288 posts, read 5,444,642 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Your points just flat out don't make sense. It is quite normal for someone to expect someone with billions of dollars to not be cheap, there's nothing egocentric about that. It is called making a generalization based on what is normal and what you see on a regular basis. Once again, look up the definition of egocentric, you're waaaay off.

Seriously, I think you are the one with problems with generalizations here. You're making the same "egocentric" generalizations about your own country that you're complaining about.

I understand your argument perfectly, but basically what you're doing is making a huge generalization about the United States based on a stupid person's stereotype.. and then using it against us. I'm sorry, but it is just dumb.


Yes, the egocentric reference was sarcasm.


Oh my god are you slow? Your proving point just off the your first paragraph;

(great wealth of money) Billionaire=American (great wealth of diversity)
(although your a billionaire you decide to be cheap) Cheap=Close-Minded (although you have all these difference races, religions etc you decide to be close minded.

Of course when I made that comparison I wasn't speaking on egocentric matters but just a simple comparison to make what was saying easier to understand.

Get it now?

And please explain where I sterotyped??? When I say "a lot of Americans (but not all)...?", I think it's a pretty fair thing to say and not very stereotypical.

And I'm not complaining about my country (which means I'm not complaining about my government) but rather complaining about its people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Status: "Greenville Works" (set 4 days ago)
 
3,288 posts, read 5,444,642 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just because your parents are like that doesn't mean that is how Americans are in general. I'm sorry you have parents like that, but don't try to classify the rest of the nation like them.

If you want to make a thread and complain about an extremely small percentage of the country, so be it. But title it just like that "I think America has a very small percentage of close minded people" , but please don't generalize the entire nation because of a small population of close minded people that you'll see anywhere.
Dudeeeeee that was a example; can you please understand examples first of all?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,282,342 times
Reputation: 16497
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Oh my god are you slow? Your proving point just off the your first paragraph;

(great wealth of money) Billionaire=American (great wealth of diversity)
(although your a billionaire you decide to be cheap) Cheap=Close-Minded (although you have all these difference races, religions etc you decide to be close minded.

Of course when I made that comparison I wasn't speaking on egocentric matters but just a simple comparison

Get it now?

And please explain where I sterotyped??? When I say "a lot of Americans (but not all)...?", I think it's a pretty fair thing to say and not very stereotypical.

And I'm not complaining about my country (which means I'm not complaining about my government) but rather complaining about its people.

I'm not slow, nor am I proving your point. You really just come off as ridiculous. If someone has billions of dollars, you'd probably expect him to not fret over buying a double quarter pounder from McDonalds. That is pretty normal.

The fact that you think it is a LOT of Americans that are so closed minded is bad enough. The type of American that is closed minded and only accepts things from the United States is a very small population, and does not consist of most Americans. You just come with baseless arguments against American people. You really show your own ignorance, which is really everything you're preaching against. I don't think you see the irony here, but don't worry.. anyone starting a thread like this probably doesn't know what is really going on.

By the way, how old are you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Status: "Greenville Works" (set 4 days ago)
 
3,288 posts, read 5,444,642 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm not slow, nor am I proving your point. You really just come off as ridiculous. If someone has billions of dollars, you'd probably expect him to not fret over buying a double quarter pounder from McDonalds. That is pretty normal.

The fact that you think it is a LOT of Americans that are so closed minded is bad enough. The type of American that is closed minded and only accepts things from the United States is a very small population, and does not consist of most Americans. You just come with baseless arguments against American people. You really show your own ignorance, which is really everything you're preaching against. I don't think you see the irony here, but don't worry.. anyone starting a thread like this probably doesn't know what is really going on.

By the way, how old are you?
I give up, America has a large group of open-minded people who are all welcome to other religions, culture, race, etc.

I'm a 19 year old college student; who has traveled to CA, IL, TX, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, the UK, Domincan Republic and hopefully this summer I'll add Japan to that list so I'm pretty ignorant and close-minded to the US and World.

But I will say this; America is my country and I love it. (no sarcasm) I love how I encounter racism, political debates, religious differences, and etc. it really makes up the beauty of this nation, seeing everyone who is so superior to me because their open-minded . (sarcasm)

All joking aside though; do you really believe that we have a small population of egocentric citizens? If so then I need to move to MI and see it for myself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,282,342 times
Reputation: 16497
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I give up, America has a large group of open-minded people who are all welcome to other religions, culture, race, etc.

I'm a 19 year old college student; who has traveled to CA, IL, TX, FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, the UK, Domincan Republic and hopefully this summer I'll add Japan to that list so I'm pretty ignorant and close-minded to the US and World.
That's about the age I put you on, I was thinking 19-20 .. which makes sense. What's surprising to me is that you find the people in Dominican Republic more open minded to the views of outsiders.. Did you leave the resort?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,236,438 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Preferring to live in ones country over others does not automatically signify arrogance.
No, but my view is the majority of most...and every American I know that's every left this country feels the same way as I do. Why do you think the U.S. attracts so many immigrants? Did it ever occur to you why so many more people migrate to this country than leave it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Status: "Greenville Works" (set 4 days ago)
 
3,288 posts, read 5,444,642 times
Reputation: 1069
burgler09:Heckkkk yeah ! It was depressing; there were kids begging for money when we were in the taxi in some city. I'm not sure what city I was in but I do remember the resort was called "Iberostar" but when I went into the city it was beautiful just really sad how the pele lived. The resort on the other hand was amazing although I was sick for a while after International Night or something like that (I ate squid and that put me down for like two days lol).



And just to clarify with everyone America is great, I was born in Houston moved to Baltimore less than a year later. It's only obvious that others would want to move here.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top