U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,354,341 times
Reputation: 1196

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are one or two countries that have banned those particular sects, because of a long history of those sects organizing illegal movements threatening the security of the state or public order.

Please don't keep letting yourself fall into the fatal trap of using a single anecdotal example or two to paint a huge swath of mankind the color you wish to see them.
Abortion is legal in the US, so why are you bringing that up? I couldn't agree more about capital punishment. However I've no idea how you can defend certain middle eastern countries' violent suppression of Baha'i and other minority religious groups. It's beyond comprehension. It's hardly a single anecdotal example, it's well-documented by human rights monitoring organizations, the UN, etc. You can spin it however you want though, it's naught to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Ok thank you for the information about Egypt; maybe I should read more on it instead of being ignorant (no sarcasm). And ok if not Egypt that we sold our religion to; I'm sure we've (the western world which is powered by the US) done it some nation in the middle-east or Africa. And it's not about religion and this is rightful place for this thread because I want to know what Americans have to say about this. I'm a fair person; if you give me a good reason to prove that we aren't egocentric then I'll withdraw what I said.
No problem, I wasn't trying to call you ignorant. I also don't care if you think the US is egocentric - you are entitled to that opinion! I was mostly trying to draw out how you formed that opinion and show you some facts that might perhaps lead you to a different, or at least less extreme conclusion.

To answer your last question I think you're casting a critical eye on US egocentrism, which is good. However you seem to have a very romanticized view of the rest of the world; it seems you believe that everyone just magically gets along and understands, accepts and respects other cultures/religions/whatever. Reality is not that rosy...for example, I just read a Nat Geo feature about Marseille, France (secular gov't, considered one of the most diverse & integrated cities in the world), specifically about tension there between Muslim immigrants and French citizens. Each of these parties are 'egocentric' in the sense that they view their own desires/agendas as most important - neither really wants to defer to the other. I believe this is human nature, rather than a US-citizen-specific problem: ultimately people want what is in their own self-interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM
 
7,385 posts, read 13,238,791 times
Reputation: 8997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
...

Btw I've been to the UK; I'm sure if any European country is that way it's because we influenced them to be.
Talk about ego-centric, LOL. Its a wonder how Europe came to be without us influencing them on anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,409 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Reputation: 24241
Just wait 'til we start defaulting on our foreign debt, some day!

It's always a funny sight to see an egocentric person with egg on their face!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
 
3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Reputation: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Talk about ego-centric, LOL. Its a wonder how Europe came to be without us influencing them on anything.
I'm pretty sure it's a confirmed that America is the worlds sole superpower and we have the greatest influence on pop culture (call it egocentric if you want but those are pretty much facts) so we have the ability to influence those nations; rather it be their people or their government. The UK is always having agreements with us that really aren't in their best interest but they do it because of us.

I understand that we all have to defend our nation; if someone said "America is the worst nation on the planet" I would def. disagree but something of these matters are a tad bit more real. I haven't said anything about Americans being ignorant but rather we could give a f*** things if they aren't our way. Maybe it's just because I'm in the South, I don't know but it really is surprising me that you guys haven't realized that we are egocentric when we have no reason to be. Like I said before we have the greatest diversity of people, why in the world cant we accept or at least have interest in other things.

I just expect more out of our people.


Someone please say something that shows me we aren't egocentric. Please.

Last edited by BMORE; 03-16-2012 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Glendale, CA
1,298 posts, read 2,112,732 times
Reputation: 1374
Using your one-off experiences with individuals you know to call Americans "ego-centric" is highly ego-centric in and of itself.

I think Americans can be ego-centric, as in when we travel it's "why don't they speak English", "I hate this food", "why don't they take dollars", etc. But that is SOME people, not even most and certainly not all.

Likewise foreign policy is driven largely by American self-interest. But that is not different than any other country's foreign policy. It's just that we have a "bigger stick" to shake.

For all of our faults, Americans also give a lot to charity, foreign aid, etc. That's not ego-centrism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
 
3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Reputation: 1069
This is thread will be locked soon because I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Weehawken
131 posts, read 205,242 times
Reputation: 111
America just rubs it in the worlds face, wealthy countries around the world are worst but who cares, this is merika.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,354,341 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a confirmed that America is the worlds sole superpower and we have the greatest influence on pop culture (call it egocentric if you want but those are pretty much facts) so we have the ability to influence those nations; rather it be their people or their government. The UK is always having agreements with us that really aren't in their best interest but they do it because of us.

I understand that we all have to defend our nation; if someone said "America is the worst nation on the planet" I would def. disagree but something of these matters are a tad bit more real. I haven't said anything about Americans being ignorant but rather we could give a f*** things if they aren't our way. Maybe it's just because I'm in the South, I don't know but it really is surprising me that you guys haven't realized that we are egocentric when we have no reason to be. Like I said before we have the greatest diversity of people, why in the world cant we accept or at least have interest in other things.

I just expect more out of our people.


Someone please say something that shows me we aren't egocentric. Please.
A couple things:

1) Influence and egocentrism are two different things that you seem to be mistakenly using interchangeably.

2) In previous posts you say it's our people that make us egocentric, but then here you start talking about policy. Which is it?

3) The foundational problem here - as in why you haven't gotten the answer you want - is that you have come to an unreliable conclusion based on faulty and inaccurate logic.

You have not done any real research or gathered nearly enough information to be able to say that we as Americans "cannot accept or have interest in other things". As an American I resent that. If you are having problems in your own Southern community with this then that's one thing, but you cannot project it onto the entire country.

Now, if you have credible evidence to support your claim, let's see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,328 posts, read 21,906,527 times
Reputation: 33512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Your right, we aren't the only nation that is that way but I'm sure we are the largest.
there you go, typical egomaniac American claiming once again we are the best and biggest at everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM
 
7,385 posts, read 13,238,791 times
Reputation: 8997
In addition to what Wag more and DynamoLA said, I also think that the OP is conveniently ignoring the fact there was a time, not so long ago that America wasn't the Superpower, but the European countries/empires were. A lot of the problems that exists today stemmed from those times. America isn't necessarily the root of the problems and while they have done things that turn out to be completely thoughtless-- what can they do? Give more money? That already causes problems! ... Give more aid? Its never enough. Help meditate? Ah, the arrogance of thinking they can solve the world's problems! Its a completely damned if they do, damned if they don't issue. Only a moron would think that being a Superpower means without having any problems.

Also OP, I do agree you need to get out more and travel-- you obviously haven't done enough. And if you keep running into the same kind of people everywhere... let's be real here: This warrants a huge self-perception on your part. It may not be its everyone else that's the "problem", but you. If you can't do that... then that is the very definition of ego-centrism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top