U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,799,510 times

Advertisements

The legal drinking age is a lot higher for the US (at age 21, that's quite a bit older than many countries) than for Canada (18 or 19 depending on province) or the UK (18).

I know a lot of American teenagers have their first drink in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,058,698 times
I think most Americans start drinking in high school. At least that was the case when I was growing up. I doubt there are very many 18-20 year olds who go to Canada to drink who haven't also drank in the US.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:11 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,799,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I think most Americans start drinking in high school. At least that was the case when I was growing up. I doubt there are very many 18-20 year olds who go to Canada to drink who haven't also drank in the US.
Yeah, I'll bet. Perhaps, more like have their first 'legal drink" as some kind of rite of passage (I don't know if many people have that mentality but I've at least heard of a few that did).

Old 03-18-2012, 03:20 PM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
The fact that the US is so stringently against drinking until age 21 has made "underage drinking" an issue here. One has to remember the American culture in general does not embrace anything in moderation, it's all about excess or eliminating completely. It's little wonder our kids get confused and/or act out.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,949,409 times
i don't know about alcohol but drugs are definitely big.

i really wouldn't be surprised if any vehicle i pass on the highway is smuggling drugs or weapons honestly. the smuggling needs to keep up with the supply of the streets. drugs and weapons from glocks to full auto uzi's and ar-15s in a truck pass by just as frequently as any other big rig truck full of cargo you see on the highway. every single day in every single metro area there are tons of drugs and weapons being smuggled in. it's crazy just to think about how much there is and how much money it's worth. it's a HUGE business that's created countless illegal millionaires and even billionaires.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,081,930 times
When I was a kid in socal we used to tail it to Mexico. Even if you were under 18 you could find some spots to serve you, often you just paid a little more cover.

I spent some time in the UK and on friday and saturday nights in cities like liverpool you're basically walking around vomit. I see that in places like vegas and american college towns but not in large cities, not in that degree anyways.

The Uk drinking age is 18, and there are spots that are open throughout the night. I'm not entirely sure why the difference exists but it's there.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,650,659 times
I always thought Canada had much lower drug use and addiction than the US ??

I have never really seen drug dealers , people using drugs in public , drug deals or prostitution in any city in Canada .

Yes there is drugs and prostitution in Vancouver , Edmonton , Winnipeg , Hamilton and Thunder Bay but it small area.

And Toronto seems to be the safest city in world and does not seem to have social issues. There are drugs ,addiction and prostitution in Toronto but is small number and anyone going to Toronto would not know and it less in you face.

I don't know ghetto area in Toronto other than Parkdale and Regent Park and little north of Parkdale and Regent Park .Jane and finch and Rexdale area is more gang area than addiction problem.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,195,374 times
I think the UK has a much bigger problem with alcohol than the U.S. It is well-known that the UK is one of the drunkest nations of the planet. The suggested daily maximum number of drinks is higher in the UK than it is in the U.S. Why? Because more people drink and drink more in the UK than the U.S.

Drugs are a different story. America has the highest rates of illegal drug abuse in the world.

U.S. Leads The World In Illegal Drug Use - CBS News

Life in major American cities like Baltimore revolve around drugs. This is the reason why Baltimore is easily the most dangerous big city over 500K in America (yes, I think Baltimore is in some ways actually much worse than Detroit; especially when talking about drugs). Baltimore is the Heroin capital of North America. And no, I don't know this from watching The Wire. I live about ten miles outside of Baltimore City. It is estimated that one in ten Baltimore City residents is addicted to Heroin. Even world class American cities like San Francisco have huge problems with drug use. The Tenderloin in San Francisco is a nasty testament to the sadly accepted out-of-control public hard drug use that is prevalent in the most liberal county in America.

S.F. area is No. 1 for regular drug use, study says - USATODAY.com

Our nation's capital is not surprisingly number one in cocaine use.

D.C. No. 1 in Cocaine Use - City Desk

These are just the illegal drugs we are speaking of. America also leads the world in prescription drug abuse. Sadly, prescription drugs are one of the top causes of early death in the United States. Prescription drugs kill average joes to celebrities like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston.

Was Whitney Houston Killed By Prescription Drugs Like So Many Other Celebrities Have Been?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:48 AM

9,782 posts, read 13,369,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
When I was a kid in socal we used to tail it to Mexico. Even if you were under 18 you could find some spots to serve you, often you just paid a little more cover.

I spent some time in the UK and on friday and saturday nights in cities like liverpool you're basically walking around vomit. I see that in places like vegas and american college towns but not in large cities, not in that degree anyways.

The Uk drinking age is 18, and there are spots that are open throughout the night. I'm not entirely sure why the difference exists but it's there.
Was gonna say, one of the recurring things I hear from young Canadian/British/Scottish/Irish/German/French/Swedish/Russian folks here is

a) they're blown away at how low our tolerance as a nation is
b) they're blown away at how weak our cheap beer is
c) they're blown away at how many Americans are getting out of their systems what they did 3-6 years earlier
d) that we are sooooooo hard on drunk drivers and public drunkenness here relative to back home

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM

179 posts, read 221,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The fact that the US is so stringently against drinking until age 21 has made "underage drinking" an issue here. One has to remember the American culture in general does not embrace anything in moderation, it's all about excess or eliminating completely. It's little wonder our kids get confused and/or act out.
The UK has a drinking age of 18, and their youth have the same problems with binge drinking that our young people do, only worse.

It has more to do with the drinking culture than the drinking age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.