U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,275,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
The legal drinking age is a lot higher for the US (at age 21, that's quite a bit older than many countries) than for Canada (18 or 19 depending on province) or the UK (18).

I know a lot of American teenagers have their first drink in Canada.
Yet due to the higher legal drinking age the amount of teens dying from DUIs in the US has decreased where as in Canada and the UK the opposite is true.

Last edited by cwa1984; 03-27-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
The US gets their bad rep for this reason because so many of these people who hate America get their knowledge of our country from Hollywood and think that's what life is like here.
Unless it is more convenient to regard Americans as backward bible thumping Puritans, of course. :-)

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,648,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Unless it is more convenient to regard Americans as backward bible thumping Puritans, of course. :-)
What that supposed to mean?

Quote:
The UK has a drinking age of 18, and their youth have the same problems with binge drinking that our young people do, only worse.

It has more to do with the drinking culture than the drinking age.
The UK may have more people drinking than in the US or more people that go binge drinking than in the US or go drinking 2 or 3 times in week but the US nay have higher number of people smoking pot than in the UK.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
What that supposed to mean?

The UK may have more people drinking than in the US or more people that go binge drinking than in the US or go drinking 2 or 3 times in week but the US nay have higher number of people smoking pot than in the UK.

How do you nutcases even quantify this stuff?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:33 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i don't know about alcohol but drugs are definitely big.

i really wouldn't be surprised if any vehicle i pass on the highway is smuggling drugs or weapons honestly. the smuggling needs to keep up with the supply of the streets. drugs and weapons from glocks to full auto uzi's and ar-15s in a truck pass by just as frequently as any other big rig truck full of cargo you see on the highway. every single day in every single metro area there are tons of drugs and weapons being smuggled in. it's crazy just to think about how much there is and how much money it's worth. it's a HUGE business that's created countless illegal millionaires and even billionaires.
someone repped me saying "if you're up and dc and think that, you're just paranoid" in response to this post.

if the genius would fess up and tell me what is so paranoid about this post, because i'd like to know. first off, no paranoia in that post. second, any cop will tell you what i said is true. that's where i learned that information from. it's every day. drugs and weapons are traveling up and down 95 daily... and lots of drugs and weapons. and what the hell does "if you're in dc and think that you're just paranoid" mean? dc is one of the hottest spots in the entire country so please

p.s. if you disagree with my original post, why would you rep me?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 AM

179 posts, read 220,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How do you nutcases even quantify this stuff?
I posted the statistics earlier in the thread.

The British drink more than Canadians who drink more than Americans.

Americans and Canadians smoke about the same amount of pot and we smoke more than the British.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
someone repped me saying "if you're up and dc and think that, you're just paranoid" in response to this post.

if the genius would fess up and tell me what is so paranoid about this post, because i'd like to know. first off, no paranoia in that post. second, any cop will tell you what i said is true. that's where i learned that information from. it's every day. drugs and weapons are traveling up and down 95 daily... and lots of drugs and weapons. and what the hell does "if you're in dc and think that you're just paranoid" mean? dc is one of the hottest spots in the entire country so please

p.s. if you disagree with my original post, why would you rep me?
You say Baltimore ,San Francisco and DC have big drug problem I thought Florida and LA has major problems too?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
You say Baltimore ,San Francisco and DC have big drug problem I thought Florida and LA has major problems too?
my original post had nothing to do with dc or baltimore or san francisco. it had to do with the fact that while i don't know much about drinking in the uk or canada, the us is probably the highest country in the world. the business is huge here.

look at the fortunes of el chapo guzman, boss of the sinaloa cartel, one of the cartels fighting over drug routes in mexico and the us. and supposedly he's not even the richest drug lord, there are quite a few who are suspected to be even wealthier. el chapo guzman is said to be a billionaire. now i'm sure a lot of his money is frozen but it just goes to show how big of a business it is... that it's created the most dangerous cities in the world and some of the richest men in the world.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 AM

^^^ sorry i thought you were being sarcastic. yeah, dc, baltimore, and san francisco all have big drug problems. every us city has drug problems.

dc is still recovering from the crack epidemic when it had almost 500 murders in one year for a city of 600,000. that was high enough to compare it to the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world today. baltimore is still trying to recover from the crack epidemic as it was ranked one of the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world last year on par with 3rd world cities in latin america. san francisco has always been probably the most drugged up city in america.

la has problems but like new york, it's not nearly as bad as it was 15+ years ago. the crime rates in the us are dropping but drug use isn't dropping, which is why guys like el chapo guzman are making so much money.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Here are the worst city with drug use.

Quote:
It may not be surprising that well-known urban centers like New Orleans, Baltimore, and San Francisco appear on the Forbes list of cities dealing with the worst drug problems in the nation.

The Drug Capitals Of America - Forbes.com

I have read some where that Albuquerque and Phoenix have big drug and alcohol problem.

Well a friend of mine was saying portland oregon is a disater city for drug use and underclass cought up in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.