U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

I live in Wisconsin but want to move. I'd like to move to a state that gets little to no snow in winter. I don't like desert climates and would like to live near a lake or river. Also looking for a smaller town, nothing over 50,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,071,688 times
This was one of the warmest winters in the Upper Midwest in recent memory and it has you scattering to other places? I can see last winter, but not this one!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,268,641 times
First place that came to mind is Hood River, Oregon.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM

15,403 posts, read 21,493,619 times
Asheville, NC
Greenville, SC

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

5,125 posts, read 5,037,470 times
Would you be fine with a hotter, humid climate, or a more temperate climate? Depending on your preferences, the Southeast or the Pacific Northwest might be what you are looking for. The two are very different with both weather and culture...so you would need to tell us a little more of what you are looking for.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:05 PM

9,093 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget83 View Post
I live in Wisconsin but want to move. I'd like to move to a state that gets little to no snow in winter. I don't like desert climates and would like to live near a lake or river. Also looking for a smaller town, nothing over 50,000.
This is very vague. You should provide more criteria so we can help narrow your options. There are hundreds of small towns with populations less than 50,000 near lakes and rivers in areas that get little to no snow. Do you need good schools? Jobs?

The more specific you can be, the better we can help you without giving you suggestions that are literally all over the map.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 2,244,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Asheville, NC
Greenville, SC
I was under the impression that Asheville got a lot of snow in the winter.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM

15,403 posts, read 21,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I was under the impression that Asheville got a lot of snow in the winter.
They average 10-15 inches of snow. This winter I don't even think they received 1-2 inches. Asheville has a very mild four season climate. It doesn't get that cold in the winter (not even remotely by Wisconsin standards) and summer temperatures rarely get above 90F due to the 2200ft elevation.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 PM

9,093 posts, read 21,727,571 times
Quote:
They average 10-15 inches of snow. This winter I don't even think they received 1-2 inches. Asheville has a very mild four season climate. It doesn't get that cold in the winter (not even remotely by Wisconsin standards) and summer temperatures rarely get above 90F due to the 2200ft elevation.
True. Asheville doesn't get as much snow as people think, and its four seasons are gorgeous. However, the OP specifically asked for small towns of less than 50,000, so Asheville and Greenville are too large.

I wish the OP would return and give us more to go on.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win

Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,713 posts, read 2,244,137 times
Quote:
I knew summers didn't cold. I've been there during the summer and it's beautiful. Asheville might be a place I'd want to retire in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.