Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM

170 posts, read 346,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Detroit had to build 2 stadiums for 2 Super Bowls.
All Indy has to do is bid and get another Super Bowl to be better than any northern city at getting the event.
Lucas Oil Stadium getting more than 1 Super Bowl which it likely will will make the 700M dollars more worth the investment
That's not the point. The point is Indy was the FOURTH NORTHERN CITY to host a Super Bowl, NOT FIRST as you said. And Detroit holding 2 Super Bowls in two different stadiums says a lot about Detroit. Isn't this the second stadium the Colts have had in Indy? Why didn't they have one in their first stadium. Look, I'm not trying to knock your city, it's a GREAT CITY!!!! But bending the truth to prove the city's worth....come on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
That's not the point. The point is Indy was the FOURTH NORTHERN CITY to host a Super Bowl, NOT FIRST as you said. And Detroit holding 2 Super Bowls in two different stadiums says a lot about Detroit. Isn't this the second stadium the Colts have had in Indy? Why didn't they have one in their first stadium. Look, I'm not trying to knock your city, it's a GREAT CITY!!!! But bending the truth to prove the city's worth....come on now.
BRGuy lives in South Bend, he has never lived in Indianapolis and Indianapolis is not his city.

The Hoosier Dome was waaaaaay to small to host a Super Bowl, and Indianapolis is not exactly sitting on a stockpile of cash to bid on a Super Bowl overcoming the limitations of the old dome.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
Quote:
Bristol Tennessee has about 30k for a population. The Bristol Motor Speedway SEATS 155K. If Indy's 267K seats =400K total, I'm gonna assume Bristol's 155K seats=250K-300K at the track for race day. Bristol has 30K population roughly! Now I will say, it's part of the Tri-Cities Metro area which is 450-500K between Johnson City, Kingsport, and Bristol.

On the other hand, Knoxville has 180K city, 600K metro. Every football Saturday they pack 108K in Neyland Stadium. And they do it every single game. Again, these #'s might not = the numbers of 400K. But you gotta look at the size of Indy. IMO, what's the difference in Indy hosting 400K when it's a big city, and Knoxville hosting 100K+. Or Lil Ole' Bristol having a quarter million in their po-dunk town?
Well the Speedway is in well Speedway, not Indianapolis, a city of about 16k or so. A lot of people confuse IMS with being in Indianapolis, it isn't, but it is just right down the street and IMPD will pull you over in Speedway at the drop of a hat . Anywhoo, sporting events really isn't a good overall metric. Sure, it adds bragging rights like IMS but sporting events usually draw people far and wide. For instance, St. Louis Cardinals media market stretches 4 hours to Evansville, IN and a lot of SW Indiana people make the trip to STL to watch a cards game just like a lot of people in Indianapolis make the 110 mile journey to Cincy to catch the Reds. UT has a huge following and they come from all over the state and from KY and parts of GA so they will always get the attendance. One off's like the 500, KY Derby, Daytona are pretty much vacation type packages and a tourist draw.

The difference between hosting as you say is consistency and versatility. Every major university will draw a large football crowd, just like every NFL city will draw a large NFL crowd. That's a given, esp. if that team has a strong history like ND or UT. Daytona hosts what, the third largest event in the 500 (Behind Indy 500 and Brickyard) as well as Spring Break, Louisville hosts the Derby (Churchill Downs holds approx. 175k). After that, these locations have nothing else really of that magnitude happening. A city like Indianapolis, off the top of my head (500, 400, MotoGP, Black Expo, Circle of Lights, Mini-Marathon, NHRA Nationals, Circle City Classic, B10 tournaments) are all 150k+ people events, not including the major conventions like GenCon or FFA or the Colts or Final Four host years. It's about consistency in which cities geared toward the convention market generally do very well in.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Austin may be my favorite capital I've been to to date. Just an amazing city. It's been eleven years since I've been there and I'm sure it's changed dramatically, so I'd like to revisit.

Sacramento gets knocked a lot by other Californians, but it really is a nice city. Columbus is also nice. Atlanta is a great city that would be even greater if they could lower the crime rate, especially in some of the neighborhoods just south of the capitol building.

Nashville wouldn't be so bad if the city cleaned up the west and south sides of the city. Of course, tell that to the people that live there; they think they're already in heaven. I really like downtown Nashville and it is a great tourist/weekend destination if you live in the East.

Montgomery, Jackson and Baton Rouge are just there. I know it's not necessarily fair to critique and criticize cities when you've just seen them from the interstate, but that was all I needed to see of these three cities.

Frankfort is nice as far as small capitals go; it just feels like an overgrown hick town that has a streak of "cosmopolitan wannabe," but it can be a charming place. The only capitals smaller are Pierre and Montpeiler, neither of which I've been to.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Well the Speedway is in well Speedway, not Indianapolis, a city of about 16k or so. A lot of people confuse IMS with being in Indianapolis, it isn't, but it is just right down the street and IMPD will pull you over in Speedway at the drop of a hat . Anywhoo, sporting events really isn't a good overall metric. Sure, it adds bragging rights like IMS but sporting events usually draw people far and wide. For instance, St. Louis Cardinals media market stretches 4 hours to Evansville, IN and a lot of SW Indiana people make the trip to STL to watch a cards game just like a lot of people in Indianapolis make the 110 mile journey to Cincy to catch the Reds. UT has a huge following and they come from all over the state and from KY and parts of GA so they will always get the attendance. One off's like the 500, KY Derby, Daytona are pretty much vacation type packages and a tourist draw.

The difference between hosting as you say is consistency and versatility. Every major university will draw a large football crowd, just like every NFL city will draw a large NFL crowd. That's a given, esp. if that team has a strong history like ND or UT. Daytona hosts what, the third largest event in the 500 (Behind Indy 500 and Brickyard) as well as Spring Break, Louisville hosts the Derby (Churchill Downs holds approx. 175k). After that, these locations have nothing else really of that magnitude happening. A city like Indianapolis, off the top of my head (500, 400, MotoGP, Black Expo, Circle of Lights, Mini-Marathon, NHRA Nationals, Circle City Classic, B10 tournaments) are all 150k+ people events, not including the major conventions like GenCon or FFA or the Colts or Final Four host years. It's about consistency in which cities geared toward the convention market generally do very well in.

Your post is solid. I can roll with that. It was the Olymipic talk and incorrect info about Indy being the 1st northern city with a Super Bowl that got me.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM

I think I would have to go with Atlanta.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:08 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
Denver. 16th street had me at first sight.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
Your post is solid. I can roll with that. It was the Olymipic talk and incorrect info about Indy being the 1st northern city with a Super Bowl that got me.
I did not say Indy was the FIRST northern city to host a Super bowl.
I said its going to be the First to host more than ONE Super bowl in the same stadium.
when your building 700M dollar stadiums thats significant. Also no other northern city can say that once Indy bids again.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I did not say Indy was the FIRST northern city to host a Super bowl.
I said its going to be the First to host more than ONE Super bowl in the same stadium.
when your building 700M dollar stadiums thats significant. Also no other northern city can say that once Indy bids again.
"once Indy bids again".

"in the Super Bowl rotation" was what you said before. What does it matter if it's in the same building? Bottom line is Detroit hosted two before Indy hosted any. That's a fact. You can't discredit them for that just because it was in two different stadiums. And is it set in stone that they are gonna get another? They had good reviews but also had complaints.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
"once Indy bids again".

"in the Super Bowl rotation" was what you said before. What does it matter if it's in the same building? Bottom line is Detroit hosted two before Indy hosted any. That's a fact. You can't discredit them for that just because it was in two different stadiums. And is it set in stone that they are gonna get another? They had good reviews but also had complaints.
ya but Detroit had to spend Billions of Dollars to land those 2 Super Bowls with 2 stadiums.
Stadiums arent cheap so if you can get more than 1 Super Bowl out of one thats a plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.