U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM

28,252 posts, read 26,220,119 times

Advertisements

Aren't we forgetting Honolulu?

http://www.hnlcondos.com/Header1Compressed.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:00 PM

935 posts, read 1,714,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
My favorite capitol cities are 1) Annapolis, 3) Boston and 3) Honolulu

Charleston, West Virginia ranks 4th and is a pretty awesome city that blows away most other state capitals such including Albany, NY and Sacramento, CA
Charleston, while it may be charming, is a small town. I like bigger state capitals like Boston, Atlanta, and Denver. I also like Sacramento, a city I was born and raised. Sacramento's urban core, downtown, midtown, and east Sacramento are beautiful neighborhoods whose tree-lined streets make it a nice characteristic of the city.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Charleston, while it may be charming, is a small town. I like bigger state capitals like Boston, Atlanta, and Denver. I also like Sacramento, a city I was born and raised. Sacramento's urban core, downtown, midtown, and east Sacramento are beautiful neighborhoods whose tree-lined streets make it a nice characteristic of the city.
Have you ever been to Charleston? The place is pretty awesome for a small town. I visit Sacramento pretty frequently and I find Charleston far exceeds anything Sacramento has to offer (except for the NBA).

Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 PM

1,446 posts, read 2,287,821 times
Well Atlanta and Boston are two of America's top cities. They are capitals of their states and I'd also say they serve as capitals of their regions. To me, they almost don't seem like state capitals b/c they are cities of national importance.

Phoenix and Denver are also pretty big cities, though IMO not quite national players on the same level as Atlanta and Boston.

To me, the quintessential state capitals are Nashville and Austin. Both are places that are big (but not huge) where the state government is a very important part of the city's economy and culture. Both also have excellent universities (U of Texas and Vanderbilt) and great music scenes.

Annapolis is quite nice, although pretty small.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,171,753 times
Of the larger capitals (that still feel like a capital, sorry Atlanta & Boston) is Austin.

My favorite overall is Olympia, which has the most beautiful setting. It is located between two great cities (Seattle, Portland) and two great Natl. Parks (Olympic, Mt. Rainier). Has saltwater, lakes, waterfalls, whitewater, beaches, boardwalks. One of the best outdoor cities in the country.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,171,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Most vanilla and boring state capital I've been to is Salem, OR. Even the state house is dull looking.

One state capital that has tons of untapped potential is Albany. Approximately 3 hours to either Boston, NYC, or Montreal, near tons of lakes, the Berkshires and the Adirondacks, nice architecture and parks with good urban bones, it's a city that I'd like to see thrive and grow but its under the radar for now.
Sadly Albany is totally wrecked by that gigantic, ugly, awful, city dividing monstrosity known as the mall. What a massive mistake that was.

I totally agree about Salem. A ho hum state capital in such a beautiful state. Best thing about Salem is the Pinot Noir from the nearby vineyards.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
I think I could get inline with Olympia. Looks awesome

Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,448,635 times
In order IMO

Honolulu
Boston
Atlanta
Denver
Sacramento
Austin
Columbus
Phoenix

Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
My favorite overall is Olympia, which has the most beautiful setting. It is located between two great cities (Seattle, Portland) and two great Natl. Parks (Olympic, Mt. Rainier). Has saltwater, lakes, waterfalls, whitewater, beaches, boardwalks. One of the best outdoor cities in the country.
I'll give you that Olympia WA has some charm, but you have to drive a ways to get to those natural spots, since it lies at sea level. Certainly better than Salem OR. However, if you ever pull off I-5 and go downtown to get a bite to eat in the evening, you will be surrounded by granolas, hipsters and/or Evergreen State College students (the and/or is for any combo of these 3, obviously). I don't think Olympia is for conventional people.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:31 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Aren't we forgetting Honolulu?
http://www.hnlcondos.com/Header1Compressed.jpg
Yes, I forgot it. It fulfills my criteria of the capital AND the state's big city; however, it's too touristy and they don't like "haoles," at least historically.

Same goes for SLC - the capital AND the state's big city; but it's too isolated and living there as a non-Mormon isn't easy from the way too many people that have told me this.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-20-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.