U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
400,000 i said.........
Heres the math, 267,000 seats. then the infield area raises the capacity of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to over 400,000
You will NEVER get official attendance figures though as the Hulman family doesn't release them. Indy locals know that though
but its safe to assume its nearly 400,000 people total both fans and workers for the event every may.
If you havent been to Indianapolis you need to visit before offering opinions.
there is maybe 350,000 spectators, plus a few thousand staff at most there is 375,000 people, and the Speedway is NOT in Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,762,541 times
Annapolis is one of my faves. Montgomery, Alabama, isn't one of them.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 PM

307 posts, read 443,693 times
Faves:
1. Boston - World Class city, one of the few state capitals that are
2. Atlanta - Same as the above
3. Madison - Got the amenities of a college town but is able to remain peaceful
4. Honolulu - love the weather. Feels a bit like Miami without all the crime.
5. St. Paul - Fairly urban, near Minneapolis, which is one of my favorite cities
Honorable Mention: I just couldn't leave out Austin, its a vibrant city with an excellent economy
My least favorite capitals in the US:
1. Jackson - Pretty crummy metro imo, boring city
2. Charleston - nothing really bad about it, just a really meh kinda city
3. Montgomery - I kinda have the same feeling here as Jackson
4. Tallahasee- This city really seems to have stunted growth due to Orlando Tampa Bay Miami and even Jax
5. Monpelier -SMALL town, not a huge fan

Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Annapolis is one of my faves. Montgomery, Alabama, isn't one of them.
That was my personal experience as well. Of all the ones I have visited, I hate to say that it's at the very bottom of my list. ...and yes, I have also been to Jackson.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:01 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,330,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
there is maybe 350,000 spectators, plus a few thousand staff at most there is 375,000 people, and the Speedway is NOT in Indianapolis.
So now it's about city and not MSA. Anywho, you want to claim that, feel free but I will say try passing that logic to IMPD when they pull you over IN Speedway and see how well that goes for you.

All of your larger venues tend to be racing of some sort. That's the nature of the beast. IMS holds the most followed by Daytona and for some reason thinking Churchill Downs is third at about 175k people.

Two largest single day attended is 1. Indianapolis 500, 2. Brickyard 400 at IMS and 3. Daytona 500.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
I can tell you where I drove - E/W Raymond St and the Sam Jones Expressway. Did not look very nice to me. Drove through the downtown before also on I-65 - looked like a typical urban skyline - nothing unusual struck me.
You drove through the industrial wastelands of Indianapolis, and that is what you are basing your opinion on? That is like visiting a single factory in Pittsburgh and calling the whole city dirty.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:35 AM

350 posts, read 630,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You drove through the industrial wastelands of Indianapolis, and that is what you are basing your opinion on? That is like visiting a single factory in Pittsburgh and calling the whole city dirty.
The skyline also did not stand out. Sorry if I don't like modern skyscraper-laden big city capitals, I prefer smaller capitals with character.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM

45 posts, read 59,291 times
Quote:
I can tell you where I drove - E/W Raymond St and the Sam Jones Expressway. Did not look very nice to me. Drove through the downtown before also on I-65 - looked like a typical urban skyline - nothing unusual struck me.

This is HILARIOUS!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:05 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,573,344 times
Quote:
The skyline also did not stand out. Sorry if I don't like modern skyscraper-laden big city capitals, I prefer smaller capitals with character.
actually get off the freeway and drive through downtown there is MORE than skyscrapers.
Ignorance is showing dude lol.
Monument Circle is one of the nicest downtown monuments in the country and THAT IS NOT a skyscraper!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,355,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
actually get off the freeway and drive through downtown there is MORE than skyscrapers.
Ignorance is showing dude lol.
Monument Circle is one of the nicest downtown monuments in the country and THAT IS NOT a skyscraper!
While I think you are way overstating the importance of hosting the Indy 500, I think Indy is a pretty nice city. I spent some time with some friends there a few years ago and we stayed downtown, Monument Circle was great and it was fun to walk around. I'm curious, what would you homers say are some defining characteristics of the city? What makes it great, and please don't say the ability to have a successful NASCAR race or super bowl..I'm talking everyday, livability stuff.

All in all I'd put it up there in my Top 10 capitals, but as far as I can tell it doesn't offer anything that would propel it to the Top 5, let alone the top so I'm curious to hear from some locals. Well-reasoned opinions only please, you can save the overt cheerleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.