U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,782,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Which ones?
Claiborne, St. Charles, Chef Menteur, Dowman etc... East N.O. particularly. That is where most of my pre-k partying transpired. And it was absolutely 'the hood' by tourist's standards, but exclusively locals. Stop trying to trip me up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Claiborne, St. Charles, Chef Menteur, Dowman etc... East N.O. particularly. That is where most of my pre-k partying transpired. And it was absolutely 'the hood' by tourist's standards, but exclusively locals. Stop trying to trip me up.
Claiborne as in what, the area under I-10? St. Charles isn't a neighborhood, it's a street like Claiborne and most of it is lined with mansions, one part near the Melphomene projects wasn't a good place though. New Orleans East (not east NO btw ) was vibrant?! How was it partying out there?

Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM

1,766 posts, read 2,782,261 times
Quote:
Claiborne as in what, the area under I-10? St. Charles isn't a neighborhood, it's a street like Claiborne and most of it is lined with mansions, one part near the Melphomene projects wasn't a good place though. New Orleans East (not east NO btw ) was vibrant?! How was it partying out there?
LOL, I'm the last person who needs a refresher on N.O. anything. I covered all grounds... from Houma to Metarie, from Slidell (outskirts since you like technicalities) to even Laplace beyond Kenner. I have ex co-workers in all of those places. And you're the N.O. SME... you're not familiar with the Daiquiri shop on Crowder that was practically wall to wall with people even in the streets every Sunday pre-k? It was destroyed in the storm, but even the Lakefront was another party spot for locals on Sundays. Card tables, motorcycle crews, crawfish boils, blaring music, the whole nine. Why do you challenge me as if I'm wrong, clearly I'm not. And besides, it's no secret that locals avoid Bourbon for the most part. It absolutely stands to reason that there's plenty of partying that takes place elsewhere, right?

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 03-18-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 AM

398 posts, read 621,365 times
Quote:
Where have you seen abandoned houses? In the last few months that is.
I took a chartered bus after being in Atlanta a few days to New Orleans to go on a cruise to Cozumel the last week of February. We went through Montgomery, to Mobile, then directly into New Orleans, I could see quite a few houses that looked abandoned from the interstate riding the bus. I couldn't give you specific neighborhoods. On the way back, I got a taxi to the airport and asked him about it, that is where I heard they were still tearing them down, and that the new Mayor was more proactive about it. From the airport I rented a car at Enterprise to go back as I didn't want to take a bus again as it was leaving in the morning and didn't want to get a hotel. I saw quite a few ratted out buildings with holes in the roof and such and that looked completely abandoned. Most of what I saw I believe was on the East Side of the city though. I was just in New Orleans before that in October, but I didn't notice it then, I noticed it looking down from the charter bus, it was harder to see in the rent a car over the side of i-10 though. I say all this as I take it you don't believe me or something, I know what I saw. I am not talking about 2-3 houses, but well over in the 100s maybe even 1000s like this, a huge swath of crapped out buildings. The whole area looked like a 3rd world country with rotting size of buildings, half paint, siding falling off, collapsing, plywood on the windows, holes in the roof. I was kind of shocked. Maybe there were people still in them or something, but they sure looked abandoned to me. The only other time I've seen an area like that was driving through Detroit.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-18-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
LOL, I'm the last person who needs a refresher on N.O. anything. I covered all grounds... from Houma to Metarie, from Slidell (outskirts since you like technicalities) to even Laplace beyond Kenner. I have ex co-workers in all of those places. And you're the N.O. SME... you're not familiar with the Daiquiri shop on Crowder that was practically wall to wall with people even in the streets every Sunday pre-k? It was destroyed in the storm, but even the Lakefront was another party spot for locals on Sundays. Why do you challenge me as if I'm wrong, clearly I'm not. And besides, it's no secret that locals avoid Bourbon for the most part. It absolutely stands to reason that there's plenty of partying that takes place elsewhere, right?
NO SME? Challenge you? Yes I know there are plenty of other places to party but I don't see a reason to go to the East unless you're a local.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I took a chartered bus after being in Atlanta a few days to New Orleans to go on a cruise to Cozumel the last week of February. We went through Montgomery, to Mobile, then directly into New Orleans, I could see quite a few houses that looked abandoned from the interstate riding the bus. I couldn't give you specific neighborhoods. On the way back, I got a taxi to the airport and asked him about it, that is where I heard they were still tearing them down, and that the new Mayor was more proactive about it. From the airport I rented a car at Enterprise to go back as I didn't want to take a bus again as it was leaving in the morning and didn't want to get a hotel. I saw quite a few ratted out buildings with holes in the roof and such and that looked completely abandoned. Most of what I saw I believe was on the East Side of the city though. I was just in New Orleans before that in October, but I didn't notice it then, I noticed it looking down from the charter bus, it was harder to see in the rent a car over the side of i-10 though. I say all this as I take it you don't believe me or something, I know what I saw. I am not talking about 2-3 houses, but well over in the 100s maybe even 1000s like this, a huge swath of crapped out buildings. The whole area looked like a 3rd world country with rotting size of buildings, half paint, holes in the roof. I was kind of shocked.
Yea you rode in through New Orleans East. It is blown out through there, though I haven't been through there in a while. I was just asking a question, both of you took it the wrong way.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM

398 posts, read 621,365 times
OK no worries. When people just say short sentences, I sometimes take it as they are questioning me. That being said, when I was there in October, it was very bustling and looked unscathed. As I said, I didn't notice it until I was up high on that charter bus.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,076,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Las Vegas strip is such a huge tourist destination, but outside the strip there seem to be a lot of rundown, ghetto type hoods like Watts in the early 90s or something. Just a few blocks off the strip I was basically robbed. Vegas is one of the big tourist draws in the US, why aren't they doing more to improve it's image?

Also New Orleans. We were constantly warned not go to certain places, even in broad daylight. One of those was Armstrong Park opposite our hotel. I thought it weird I couldn't even go there in the daytime, dunno how bad it really is though.

New Orleans is a unique, fun and great city in the French quarter and downtown, as well as like Treme. It was my second favourite city after NYC. Even pre-Katrina crime was bad there, which is typical of most southern cities. But in general, it seems most of New Orleans is ignored because it's poorer than average. Now I'm not saying New Orleans should be gentrified, but what are they doing it make it safer/more livable? Do a lot of people turn their back on the Crescent City, for whatever reason?
People say stupid things all the time. Instead of listening to them you can go check it out for yourself. Rule of thumb, if people live there it can never be that bad as you think. NOLA is a fantastic place, and even in the poorer areas everyone is upbeat and happy.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
I wouldn't say it was dumpy but taking a walk a few blocks away from the strip in either direction I was just shocked at how I was transported into another dimension so quickly. I think it is the rapid change that shocks the senses. on the strip you feel like you are in a large glitzy city, you walk two blocks over and wander if you fell down a rabbit hole into another turn. Or Like Bugs would often say " I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque."

Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Ahhh... Las Vegas, the only place I've ever been mugged on the street. Got mugged there in 2000 walking from the main part of the strip to the Stratosphere... I never made it to the stratosphere, the guy made me turn around and walk the other way. He was posing as an undercover cop selling drugs, and when I said I wasn't interested, he flashed a knife, said he was a "dirty cop" and asked for all my money. I quickly went into a souvenir store to chill out for a bit. I'm not a fan of Vegas at all really, I've ran into a lot of shady people there the three times I have been, not just the guy who mugged me. It gives me a really bad vibe like everybody there is out to mess with you. I don't even like walking the strip there b/c of all the people peddling prostitute cards. I have no desire to go back there. New Orleans has some grimey areas, but everybody I've ran into there was at least nice. I've only had that "bad vibe" in a few places, and Las Vegas is one of them. I've got that same vibe on the west side of chicago...i.e. if I don't get out of here, I am probably going to get jacked, and lots of shady characters.
There is a difference in "poor neighborhoods" of the hood... and other areas where there are constant bangers on the street. The OG's and drug dealers generally won't mess with you, in fact they often look out for people, and they don't want to draw much attention. It's the pack of 13-14 year old kids that are the problem. These kids come into their are and want a little piece of the pie, usually selling rocks or pot, the real people in the neighborhood don't want them there, certainly not selling crack, that is a bad image b/c if you want to know the truth, a lot of the rich folks from the burbs or nice neighborhoods come into certain areas to score, having crack dealers or having issues with kids is bad for business.

Back to the point, there are several places I would tell a tourist in Chicago not to go, even in broad day light... it just isn't safe. It would be pretty hard for them to get there walking, but they could definitely get there if they went the wrong way on the green line or red line for instance.

Last edited by grapico; 03-18-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,076,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I wouldn't say it was dumpy but taking a walk a few blocks away from the strip in either direction I was just shocked at how I was transported into another dimension so quickly. I think it is the rapid change that shocks the senses. on the strip you feel like you are in a large glitzy city, you walk two blocks over and wander if you fell down a rabbit hole into another turn. Or Like Bugs would often say " I must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque."
It just doesn't feel as glitzy, tack and fake as the Vegas strip I dunno, I guess some people here had bad luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or