Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas strip is such a huge tourist destination, but outside the strip there seem to be a lot of rundown, ghetto type hoods like Watts in the early 90s or something. Just a few blocks off the strip I was basically robbed. Vegas is one of the big tourist draws in the US, why aren't they doing more to improve it's image?

Also New Orleans. We were constantly warned not go to certain places, even in broad daylight. One of those was Armstrong Park opposite our hotel. I thought it weird I couldn't even go there in the daytime, dunno how bad it really is though.

New Orleans is a unique, fun and great city in the French quarter and downtown, as well as like Treme. It was my second favourite city after NYC. Even pre-Katrina crime was bad there, which is typical of most southern cities. But in general, it seems most of New Orleans is ignored because it's poorer than average. Now I'm not saying New Orleans should be gentrified, but what are they doing it make it safer/more livable? Do a lot of people turn their back on the Crescent City, for whatever reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Las Vegas has lots of ****ty tract housing that it doesn't need, and New Orleans was an industrial port city.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
You should go around New Orleans, I don't know why anyone would tell you not to go Uptown, the Warehouse district, Mid-City, City Park, the Marigny, Carrolton, or Algiers. If you like Treme, you would like majority of New Orleans.
Armstrong Park isn't the best park but is slowly getting a better image as Treme and N Rampart gentrify and rebuild.
Also the Iberville projects downtown are being replaced with mixed income med/high density housing with local architecture.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:22 AM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
You really need to travel around the rest of New Orleans before you base your ideas off of what people say or when you just see the Franch Quarter. I dont know that much about armstrong park(im pretty sure it would be safe) but even back in the day people used to say central park in New York was dangerous. Once you go above Armstrong Park it is not that great of a neighborhood, plus there is a project nearby.
Every city has their bad areas and im sure you would be warned of certain areas in every city.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:27 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,193 times
wow that is kinda rude. I've never been to New Orleans but Vegas isn't "dumpy". It has a lot of tract housing but I still would not call that "dumpy".

Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I tihink practically all cities have their ghetto'y areas. San Francisco certainly has theirs, as does L.A. Las Vegas is a "new city" but it's always been mediocre outside of "The Strip".

New Orleans certainly has its poor rundown areas but much of the Treme neighborhood is barely an improvement. It's one of the oldest cities in America but its early settlement was on higher ground and has, thus, remained preserved. As its poor population grew they had to settle in much less desirable areas. I still think the Cresent City is still one of the most beautiful cities, myself.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:24 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,402,679 times
Honestly in terms of hoods, Las Vegas and New Orleans shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. As much as I adore New Orleans, it does in fact have some of the scariest zones I've ever encountered, which I'd imagine has everything to do with visitors' reluctance to venture beyond the Quarter. Folks will deny and minimize it, but a spade is a spade. Doesn't make me love the place any less. Hell if anything, it adds to the overall mystery and allure.

The most overt difference IMO, is unlike Vegas, those same New Orleans hoods that everyone avoids, are typically crawling with nightlife activity while Vegas conversely, is a virtual snoozefest outside the strip. But I certainly wouldn't label LV as dumpy by any means. Much of the city looks showroom new, while other places around the country have far more seasoned slums.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Honestly in terms of hoods, Las Vegas and New Orleans shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. As much as I adore New Orleans, it does in fact have some of the scariest zones I've ever encountered, which I'd imagine has everything to do with visitors' reluctance to venture beyond the Quarter. Folks will deny and minimize it, but a spade is a spade. Doesn't make me love the place any less. Hell if anything, it adds to the overall mystery and allure.

The most overt difference IMO, is unlike Vegas, those same New Orleans hoods that everyone avoids, are typically crawling with nightlife activity while Vegas conversely, is a virtual snoozefest outside the strip. But I certainly wouldn't label LV as dumpy by any means. Much of the city looks showroom new, while other places around the country have far more seasoned slums.
Which ones?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM

398 posts, read 751,393 times
There are a lot of areas in New Orleans of abandoned houses still, they should be bulldozed b/c they were so water damaged or lost their roofs. It is an ugly drive into the city. I hear they are starting to bulldoze some of these. There are several more nice neigbhorhoods though outside of the ones you named, but yes NO has issues... major issues. It sucks but that is how it is. It is currently on the upswing though. And yes, NO has some of the most gang infested, worst neighborhoods in the U.S., no doubt. And yes they are closer to the tourist areas where one could take a casual bike ride and go right into them.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
There are a lot of areas in New Orleans of abandoned houses still, they should be bulldozed b/c they were so water damaged or lost their roofs. It is an ugly drive into the city. I hear they are starting to bulldoze some of these. There are several more nice neigbhorhoods though outside of the ones you named, but yes NO has issues... major issues. It sucks but that is how it is. It is currently on the upswing though. And yes, NO has some of the most gang infested, worst neighborhoods in the U.S., no doubt. And yes they are closer to the tourist areas where one could take a casual bike ride and go right into them.
Where have you seen abandoned houses? In the last few months that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.