Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,778,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hate to break it to you, but Richmond doesn't make the news outside of..say...Richmond, so I don't know what you mean by "bad rep" on the news. i see it mentioned on statistics on cities with highest murder rate, with richmond close to the top.

and just because you haven't been a victim of crime (including being murdered ) doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't a problem. a lot of people work and live in philly every day and claim the same thing, but it doesn't negate the fact that yes, it's got a big time crime issue. methinks YOU'D say philly was a dangerous place.
You don't watch Dateline NBC? There was coverage of that Taylor Beil girl who was murdered off VCU campus. But that was by some crazy guy she met on the internet. Also The Harvey murder case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,339,097 times
Quote:
very nice. what are your thoughts on Richmond's murder rate - one of the worst the nation in recent years. that must concern you.
It was my impression that Camden , NJ has the highest murder rate. It's scary to even drive thru there!

Diane

Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
It was my impression that Camden , NJ has the highest murder rate. It's scary to even drive thru there!

Diane
Camden, like Richmond, is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. That's why you don't see anyone proclaiming that Camden is the jewel of the Northeast!

Most Dangerous Cities, 2007 (Morgan Quitno Corp.)

1. St. Louis, MO
2. Detroit, MI
3. Flint, MI
4. Compton, CA
5. Camden, NJ
6. Birmingham, AL
7. Cleveland, OH
8. Oakland, CA
9. Youngstown, OH
10. Gary, IN
11. Richmond, CA
12. Baltimore, MD
13. Memphis, TN
14. Trenton, NJ
15. Richmond, VA
16. Kansas City, MO
17. Atlanta, GA
18. Cincinnati, OH
19. Washington, DC
20. North Charleston, SC

Old 09-12-2007, 10:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,587,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post

Diane
what does that have to do with anything? like lammius said, i'm NOT going around proclaiming it to be the Jewel of the Northeast. if i did, i'd expect to be (rightly) flamed.

give it a rest!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
vasinger I am so glad you are so proud of your city

Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,339,097 times
Quote:
what does that have to do with anything? like lammius said, i'm NOT going around proclaiming it to be the Jewel of the Northeast. if i did, i'd expect to be (rightly) flamed.

give it a rest!
I wasn't flaming, I was stating Satistics. Looks like NJ has 2 cities in such a small state.

Diane

Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,895,864 times
Wink Oh I KNOW !!

There's much more to NJ than Trenton & Camden.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM

5 posts, read 31,934 times
Richmond isn't even in the top 10. And its a lot less dangerous than people suspect.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,341,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Camden, like Richmond, is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. That's why you don't see anyone proclaiming that Camden is the jewel of the Northeast!

Most Dangerous Cities, 2007 (Morgan Quitno Corp.)

1. St. Louis, MO
2. Detroit, MI
3. Flint, MI
4. Compton, CA
5. Camden, NJ
6. Birmingham, AL
7. Cleveland, OH
8. Oakland, CA
9. Youngstown, OH
10. Gary, IN
11. Richmond, CA
12. Baltimore, MD
13. Memphis, TN
14. Trenton, NJ
15. Richmond, VA
16. Kansas City, MO
17. Atlanta, GA
18. Cincinnati, OH
19. Washington, DC
20. North Charleston, SC

I don't understand how Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Miami didn't make the list. They are in my opinion more dangerous than any of the cities on this list. St. Louis City is high because it is not part of a county, unless you consider St. Louis City to be a county, and if you do, St. Louis City is unquestionably the smallest county in the United States as far as land area goes. Were it more spread out I am positive Detroit would be at number 1. Also, the Twin Cities have really been skyrocketing in crime from what I've been reading...they've been compared to Detroit as of lately. And as far as dangerous cities go, the most murderous cities are the ones I consider the most dangerous by far. Forget the most dangerous list....being among the most murderous is as dangerous as it gets folks. Unbelievable that over 70% of the population of New Orleans per 100,000 people are victims of homicide..those numbers are like beyond homicide...72.6% is like genocide

Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I don't understand how Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and Miami didn't make the list. They are in my opinion more dangerous than any of the cities on this list. St. Louis City is high because it is not part of a county, unless you consider St. Louis City to be a county, and if you do, St. Louis City is unquestionably the smallest county in the United States as far as land area goes. Were it more spread out I am positive Detroit would be at number 1. Also, the Twin Cities have really been skyrocketing in crime from what I've been reading...they've been compared to Detroit as of lately. And as far as dangerous cities go, the most murderous cities are the ones I consider the most dangerous by far. Forget the most dangerous list....being among the most murderous is as dangerous as it gets folks. Unbelievable that over 70% of the population of New Orleans per 100,000 people are victims of homicide..those numbers are like beyond homicide...72.6% is like genocide

St. Louis city is 62 sq miles. There are plenty of counties smaller than that. The county I live in is 47 sq miles. The smallest county in the U.S. is in Hawaii (forget the name) at 12 or 13 sq miles.

Also, murder rate does not = percent. 72.6% of the people in New Orleans were not the victims of homicide. 72.6 people out of 100,000 were (or 0.0726% were).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.