U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
 
29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Reputation: 18547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Like I said, if I would have heard someone talk like the teenager did I would assume he is without a doubt from the St. Louis area. I didn't hear any evidence of a southern accent at all. I grew up about 60 miles south of Ste. Genevieve in an area with 3 or 4 different dialects, and that dialect he spoke was one of them. Most people that speak it in the area are people of German and/or French ancestry, and is without a doubt a Midwestern accent. Lower Midwestern? Yes, but still a Midwestern Accent.
Well I've not been to St. Louis yet. I suppose I'd just say that the Lower Midwestern accent is similar to a Southern accent in some respects. Seems like for some people, that's the worst thing in the world.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,905,304 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I've not been to St. Louis yet. I suppose I'd just say that the Lower Midwestern accent is similar to a Southern accent in some respects. Seems like for some people, that's the worst thing in the world.
Ok I can agree with that.

I have no personal dog in the fight, just discussing my personal observations that I've noticed living in Southeast Missouri. Most people say I have a southern accent and after taping myself and listening I would have to agree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,719,806 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hear a bit of a Southern twang in the son's voice but not the parents' voices. Interesting.
The dad and the son seem pretty close to the classical "Midland" accent to me. The mom almost sounds like she could pass for Upper Midwest.

The Dad doesn't really have much of an accent and the son appears to have a small touch of drawl, but I think it is just because he is speaking slower.

Their speech is definitely much more classical Midland or neutral than what I hear here in central Oklahoma, which is much more twangy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,234,855 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well I've not been to St. Louis yet. I suppose I'd just say that the Lower Midwestern accent is similar to a Southern accent in some respects. Seems like for some people, that's the worst thing in the world.
If you're referring to me, no, it's not. I've acknowledged that the Lower Midwest is similar to the South in some respects. What irritates me is when somebody takes that a step further and depicts it as something it's not. That's it. I have nothing against Southern accents.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,234,855 times
Reputation: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The dad and the son seem pretty close to the classical "Midland" accent to me. The mom almost sounds like she could pass for Upper Midwest.

The Dad doesn't really have much of an accent and the son appears to have a small touch of drawl, but I think it is just because he is speaking slower.

Their speech is definitely much more classical Midland or neutral than what I hear here in central Oklahoma, which is much more twangy.
Agreed 100%.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,583,596 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The dad and the son seem pretty close to the classical "Midland" accent to me. The mom almost sounds like she could pass for Upper Midwest.

The Dad doesn't really have much of an accent and the son appears to have a small touch of drawl, but I think it is just because he is speaking slower.

Their speech is definitely much more classical Midland or neutral than what I hear here in central Oklahoma, which is much more twangy.
Well, consider the following Georgians. These guys don't sound much southern than what you hear in the Missouri videos. In some, they actually sound less southern.

Zac Brown (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Zac Brown and Sonia Leigh interview 08/20/11 - YouTube

Ty Pennington (Atlanta area)

Ty Pennington and Rachael Ray Talk About Canvas Prints by Canvas on Demand - YouTube

Lady Antebellum singers (two guys) (Athens)

Lady Antebellum Interview - YouTube

Ryan Seacrest (Atlanta area)

Lauren & Scotty - On Air with Ryan Seacrest Interview - YouTube

Then there's people like:

Jason Aldean (middle Georgia)

Jason Aldean Interview.mp4 - YouTube

Billy Currington (south Georgia)

Billy Currington Interview - YouTube

Politicians:

Tom Price (Atlanta area)

Price discusses the House Republican Budget on Fox Business - YouTube

Former candidate for office (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Bill Stephens Speaks on Georgia's Water Issues - YouTube

Here's a couple of kids with a parody of the local Atlanta news. Do these kids really sound strongly southern? This is kind of common these days.

Channel 2 - Not That Much Action News - YouTube
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: West Tennessee
2,082 posts, read 2,905,304 times
Reputation: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Well, consider the following Georgians. These guys don't sound much southern than what you hear in the Missouri videos. In some, they actually sound less southern.

Zac Brown (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Zac Brown and Sonia Leigh interview 08/20/11 - YouTube

Ty Pennington (Atlanta area)

Ty Pennington and Rachael Ray Talk About Canvas Prints by Canvas on Demand - YouTube

Lady Antebellum singers (two guys) (Athens)

Lady Antebellum Interview - YouTube

Ryan Seacrest (Atlanta area)

Lauren & Scotty - On Air with Ryan Seacrest Interview - YouTube

Then there's people like:

Jason Aldean (middle Georgia)

Jason Aldean Interview.mp4 - YouTube

Billy Currington (south Georgia)

Billy Currington Interview - YouTube

Politicians:

Tom Price (Atlanta area)

Price discusses the House Republican Budget on Fox Business - YouTube

Former candidate for office (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Bill Stephens Speaks on Georgia's Water Issues - YouTube

Here's a couple of kids with a parody of the local Atlanta news. Do these kids really sound strongly southern? This is kind of common these days.

Channel 2 - Not That Much Action News - YouTube
No one is denying that there are people in the south (Especially in suburban and urban Atlanta) that don't really have much in the way of a southern accent. The dialect of Missouri isn't very southern until you get to maybe the southern 1/4th or 1/5th of the state, roughly a line from Cape Girardeau to Joplin. Once you drop south of U.S. 60 (About 30 miles south of Cape Girardeau) the southern dialect is the dominant local dialect.

Southern American English has never been spoken by anyone who was born and raised in Ste. Genevieve.

By the way, to put it in perspective: Bill Stephens would have more of an accent than most people in Missouri.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,765,210 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Well, consider the following Georgians. These guys don't sound much southern than what you hear in the Missouri videos. In some, they actually sound less southern.

Zac Brown (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Zac Brown and Sonia Leigh interview 08/20/11 - YouTube

Ty Pennington (Atlanta area)

Ty Pennington and Rachael Ray Talk About Canvas Prints by Canvas on Demand - YouTube

Lady Antebellum singers (two guys) (Athens)

Lady Antebellum Interview - YouTube

Ryan Seacrest (Atlanta area)

Lauren & Scotty - On Air with Ryan Seacrest Interview - YouTube

Then there's people like:

Jason Aldean (middle Georgia)

Jason Aldean Interview.mp4 - YouTube

Billy Currington (south Georgia)

Billy Currington Interview - YouTube

Politicians:

Tom Price (Atlanta area)

Price discusses the House Republican Budget on Fox Business - YouTube

Former candidate for office (North Georgia north of Atlanta)

Bill Stephens Speaks on Georgia's Water Issues - YouTube

Here's a couple of kids with a parody of the local Atlanta news. Do these kids really sound strongly southern? This is kind of common these days.

Channel 2 - Not That Much Action News - YouTube
Most of those folks are professional entertainers/announcers that have had the "rough edges" smoothed off their speech patterns and accents.
Common practice for singers to have enunciation lessons with the Midland accent being shown as what to sound like to appeal to a broader spectrum of audience.
Also common practice for announcers to have the same enunciation lessons, as well as more.
Too bad you couldnt find any of the accent tag youtube vids to show how normal people sound.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,765,210 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
No one is denying that there are people in the south (Especially in suburban and urban Atlanta) that don't really have much in the way of a southern accent. The dialect of Missouri isn't very southern until you get to maybe the southern 1/4th or 1/5th of the state, roughly a line from Cape Girardeau to Joplin. Once you drop south of U.S. 60 (About 30 miles south of Cape Girardeau) the southern dialect is the dominant local dialect.

Southern American English has never been spoken by anyone who was born and raised in Ste. Genevieve.

By the way, to put it in perspective: Bill Stephens would have more of an accent than most people in Missouri.
No one, and I mean NO ONE, says y'all, youn's, fixing, etc, etc, in Sainte Genevieve if they are a native.
Or Perry County either, except for maybe the southernmost edge.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 04:19 PM
 
2,402 posts, read 3,583,596 times
Reputation: 1266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Most of those folks are professional entertainers/announcers that have had the "rough edges" smoothed off their speech patterns and accents.
Common practice for singers to have enunciation lessons with the Midland accent being shown as what to sound like to appeal to a broader spectrum of audience.
Also common practice for announcers to have the same enunciation lessons, as well as more.
Too bad you couldnt find any of the accent tag youtube vids to show how normal people sound.
Other than Ryan Seacrest or Ty Pennington, both Georgia natives mind you, I don't understand your reasoning. Zac Brown is a country singer who has lived in Georgia his entire life. The kids are definitely not entertainers. What do you make of that? They're not real people?

By the way, I posted Jason Aldean and Billy Currington, both of which have obvious southern accents, as does one of the politicians.

Here's Alex Kendrick, Atlanta area native who moved to Albany, Georgia in southwest Georgia. This is a typical southern accent, typical to what you hear in Dexter, MO


Alex Kendrick on "Courageous" - YouTube
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top