U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM

350 posts, read 630,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
??? How is that making it more southern?
Yeah I don't see the Baltimore area as very Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
I don't think Baltimore is southern either. I just say things like that to entertain myself sometimes.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:34 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the 50s, people spoke with a very strong southern accent even in northern Missouri and southern Ohio.
My parents from northern Missouri say that your statement is false.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Because ever since James Carville's bogus comment from 20 years ago was taken even further out of context, it's become trendy to believe that central Pennsylvania is like a slice of Old Dixie in the Northeast.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I said something to this effect in another thread, too, but I think the root issue is that culture is becoming less regional, and that cuts both ways. That is, there was a time when accents and dialects varied much more from place to place, as did culture. As people have become more mobile and communications/broadcast technology has advanced, there's no barrier to keep trends confined to (or from) a specific area. Lots of bits of traditionally southern culture can be accessed by folks up north and vice-versa.

What's more, there is no monolithic southern culture, in my opinion. Not historically. Customs and speech varied a great deal from place to place, and they still vary some.

At the end of the day, I think it matters less and less where you live or, to an extent, where you're from.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Because ever since James Carville's bogus comment from 20 years ago was taken even further out of context, it's become trendy to believe that central Pennsylvania is like a slice of Old Dixie in the Northeast.
Uhh, no. I said that because some people feel that Maryland is southern and since some Marylanders in the Baltimore are moving to southern PA, it makes since that the place would become more 'southern.'

Old 03-19-2012, 02:34 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Uhh, no. I said that because some people feel that Maryland is southern and since some Marylanders in the Baltimore are moving to southern PA, it makes since that the place would become more 'southern.'
Do you personally believe Maryland is southern? As far as people from Baltimore moving to York that isn't all that surprising considering how close they are to each other.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Excellent post. I think, though, that of the cities in the South I've visited or passed through, Montgomery AL still feels pretty southern.
I couldn't agree more with this comment. I found Montgomery to be very Southern.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Do you personally believe Maryland is southern? As far as people from Baltimore moving to York that isn't all that surprising considering how close they are to each other.
Absolutely not.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,161,534 times
For the simple reason people tend to retire in the sun belts I do not see the northern cities becoming southern.

I do not know to many people who have moved or wanted to move to a northern climate.

Personally I like the cool weather and winters but that is not the norm.

based on people retiring from the north to the south I do not see a reversal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or