U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM

9,451 posts, read 18,377,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston is far superior to the Midwest we have the ocean, skiing and White water rafting within 25 miles of Boston city hall.
Where can you go white water rafting that close to Boston? I figured you'd have to go up into deep Maine for that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 9,569,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Where can you go white water rafting that close to Boston? I figured you'd have to go up into deep Maine for that.
the Concord River at Lowell from April to early June is raftable and has class III, and IV rapids.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,663,193 times
For your criteria, Denver followed by Seattle. Denver's Front Range offers the natural features for those opportunities. Sure, I can add other places, but those are regional hub cities.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,805,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston is far superior to the Midwest we have the ocean, skiing and White water rafting within 25 miles of Boston city hall.
The Midwest has the Great Lakes,

You actually do have ski hills within 25 miles of Chicago and Detroit. And they are natural hills too, although they're not that big.

St. Louis and Cincinnati have streams in hills not far where you can raft. Cleveland has Cuyahoga National Park, where you might be able to do that.

I'm not saying it NOT better in terms of the outdoors, but to say its FAR superior? I'm not sure how you define that.

I think the west coast still far superior to either the midwest or east coast.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:43 PM

605 posts, read 1,237,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
The Midwest has the Great Lakes,

You actually do have ski hills within 25 miles of Chicago and Detroit. And they are natural hills too, although they're not that big.

St. Louis and Cincinnati have streams in hills not far where you can raft. Cleveland has Cuyahoga National Park, where you might be able to do that.

I'm not saying it NOT better in terms of the outdoors, but to say its FAR superior? I'm not sure how you define that.

I think the west coast still far superior to either the midwest or east coast.

Whatever you do, don't go to the midwest. The skiing there is horrid, and they don't really get that much snow. You would be lucky to get 50 inches of snow in a season. If you like to rock climb I would not go with Boston. There is some decent rock climbing in New Hampshire but if you ever really want to do push your climbing ability its better to be out west, plus the views are amazing. For climbing I think Portland or Seattle is a great place to live, plus you can really get into mountaineering. Seattle has a very strong skiing and climbing community The cascades of WA and OR are the only real glaciated peaks in the lower 48.

If you are looking for a decent sized city than stick with Denver, Portland, or Seattle. Personally I prefer Seattle because you can downhill ski year around if you are into back country skiing.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,491,999 times
I still say Anchorage, Eagle River, Wasilla, or Palmer.

Anchorage, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eagle River (Anchorage) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasilla, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Palmer, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want warmer summers than of those offer (although the summers there are mild, they aren't bad), check out the area around Fairbanks and North Pole. (Note you will have to travel farther for mountain play, and put up with colder winters. It is a dry cold, though)

Fairbanks, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Pole, Alaska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by cjg5; 03-18-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM

737 posts, read 1,414,390 times
Minneapolis-St. Paul has: cycling, mt. biking, running, skiing (downhill and cross country), skating, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice fishing (of course), hiking, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, and water skiing, all within the metro. Not to mention tons of places to grab a beer, and lunch after the daily endeavors. I have seen rock climbing in Red Wing, MN about an hour south of the metro.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:24 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,356,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Minneapolis-St. Paul has: cycling, mt. biking, running, skiing (downhill and cross country), skating, snowboarding, snowshoeing, ice fishing (of course), hiking, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, and water skiing, all within the metro. Not to mention tons of places to grab a beer, and lunch after the daily endeavors. I have seen rock climbing in Red Wing, MN about an hour south of the metro.
For water sports TC are great, but for rock-climbing, mountain biking and downhill skiing they're second-class.

As someone who was raised in CO on climbing, snowboarding, mtn biking etc...if you're serious about the outdoors I would never pick Boston, Mpls, Cleveland or most of the rest of the Midwest.

Seattle, Denver, Portland, SLC or parts of California are easily your best options. Big drop after that for meeting all of your criteria.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,982,345 times
If you can't afford California or you don't want to move here then I suggest Denver.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,203,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Whatever you do, don't go to the midwest.they don't really get that much snow. You would be lucky to get 50 inches of snow in a season.
What a crock of crap! We get the picture, you don't like the Midwest, at least quit spewing outright lies about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.