U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 02:11 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
How are these outright lies?

Look at most of the season snowfall totals in the midwest states. The vast majority of them get under 100 inches of snow a season. In fact many of them barely have more than 30-50 inch of a base at any one time. The midwest is just not a great place to go skiing for someone who really enjoys the sport. There are a few places in Michigan that do OK.

Compare that to places in Oregon like Mt. Hood, or Mt. Bachelor, or Mt. Baker in Washington state, or some of the places in Idaho, Montana, and California. Many of those ski resorts get hundreds of inches in one season. In fact Mt. Baker recorded over 1000 inches of snow in one season (a world record).

That plus if you live in Portland or Seattle you are pretty close to Whistler and many of the great resorts in British Columbia.
How is it an outright lie? you just answered that yourself. You said that the Midwest would be lucky to get 50 inches of snowfall a season. Which is false. A false statement is a lie, plain and simple, so sorry you cannot grasp that concept when it comes to anything other than the NW.

Nobody is saying the Midwest has skiing that compares to the Rockys, that would be ludicrus. Or that we get more snow than other places. You are the one that feels you have to run down another area to bolster your own it would seem. Who cares where the record amount of snowfall was located. You said flat out the Midwest would be lucky to get 50" of snow in a season, which is wrong. The other stuff is just your pathetic way of trying to deflect the issue of you being 100% wrong, and getting called on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 PM

506 posts, read 1,083,807 times
SLC, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix

Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM

605 posts, read 1,237,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
How is it an outright lie? you just answered that yourself. You said that the Midwest would be lucky to get 50 inches of snowfall a season. Which is false. A false statement is a lie, plain and simple, so sorry you cannot grasp that concept when it comes to anything other than the NW.

Nobody is saying the Midwest has skiing that compares to the Rockys, that would be ludicrus. Or that we get more snow than other places. You are the one that feels you have to run down another area to bolster your own it would seem. Who cares where the record amount of snowfall was located. You said flat out the Midwest would be lucky to get 50" of snow in a season, which is wrong. The other stuff is just your pathetic way of trying to deflect the issue of you being 100% wrong, and getting called on it.
What I stated before is, and still is true. The vast majority of ski resorts in the midwest do not have more than 50 inches on the ground. You are lucky to have 30 to 50 inches in most places. There are a few exceptions, but they are far and few between.

The vast majority of ski resorts in the midwest are lucky to even have 50 inches at one time on the ground. I am not making this stuff up man. Any person that skis quite a bit can tell you this. The vast majority of ski resorts in the midwest get under 50 inches of snow a season. By March you can't even ski in most places in the midwest.

I am not saying that the midwest comapres to the rockies or the sierra nevada etc. etc... I am simply saying that most ski resorts in the midwest have pretty tiny bases to ski on. In fact most do not have 50 inches on the ground at any one time unless it is man made snow.

I'll take Minnesota as an example because it is one of the better states in the midwest to ski in. The only better one is Michigan:

Afton Alps: Average snowfall 55 inches a season
Wild Mountain: Average snowfall 50 inches a season
Welch Village: Average snowfall 50 inches a season
Powder Ridge: Average snowfall 45 inches a season
Lutsen (one of the better ski resorts in Minnesota): Average snowfall 120 inches a season
Ski Gull Ski Area: Average snowfall 137 inches a season.

Its alost worse in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and everything south of there. Most of the ski resorts there are lucky to have a 40 inch base. The closest ski resort to Chicago is Villa Olivia and it only averages 25 inches a season! And in a terrible season like this year you can pretty much forget going skiing. Even in bad years you can still ski in most of the western states.

Again I am not saying you can't ski in the midwest. You can! Its just that its false to claim to a person that they are going to be in a skiier paradise. The reality is that they will more than likely be skiing on 20 inches of ice most of the winter. If the OP really wants the oppurtunity to ski on a regular basis I would not recommend anywhere in the midwest.

Last edited by skihikeclimb; 03-20-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times
Dude, that is NOT what you said. You are flip-flopping between a ski areas base and the total snowfall now. You first said you would be lucky to get 50" in a season... NOT 50" of base, or 50" on the ground. Those are quite different amounts. The first post you made knocking the Midwest you were wrong, plain and simple. If you are talking strictly ski area base, then for the most part you are correct. Which is it, your first incorrect statement, or your back peddling statements made afterward?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,356,296 times
Bottom line, the OP is from the Midwest and specifically stated he's looking for something different this time around, so probably the places to focus on are Mountain West, Pac NW, California, then perhaps Western NC, and parts of New England (I'm thinking VT/NH). Not that the Midwest doesn't have great choices, I just don't think he would be satisfied with the outdoor options based on the criteria posted.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

605 posts, read 1,237,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Dude, that is NOT what you said. You are flip-flopping between a ski areas base and the total snowfall now. You first said you would be lucky to get 50" in a season... NOT 50" of base, or 50" on the ground. Those are quite different amounts. The first post you made knocking the Midwest you were wrong, plain and simple. If you are talking strictly ski area base, then for the most part you are correct. Which is it, your first incorrect statement, or your back peddling statements made afterward?
Either way the vast majority of ski resorts in the mid west still don't even get 50 inches in a season. This not a controversial statement, it is a well known fact. Sure there are a few outliers. I've stated this already.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM

737 posts, read 1,413,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Sandlapper, good info on the TC too, didn't mean to come off as pretentious I'm no pro but I'm a huge outdoorsman and Mpls is on my short list of cities I'd like to live in.
Hey, no worries my friend! I can give credit, where its due, be it Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle, or Portland. The mountain west is awesome without a doubt, and is typically our summer vacation spot.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Denver is actually quite a bit different from Seattle and Portland. The west coast culture is different than the midwestern culture that characterizes Denver. Denver is a more generic, middle-American, family-oriented area, especially compared to Portland and Seattle. I'm a Denver native and I went to college in Corvallis for a year, hated the rain and the overt liberalism, and came back to Colorado. I don't have a lot of experience with Portland (or Seattle), but I can tell you that even though all three cities are very outdoorsy, Portland and Seattle are more "city" than Denver, which is more suburban or even "country"--at least in spots. Public transit is terrible in Denver, and as I said, it's a city tailor-made for families.

All of that said, however, the mountains are the mountains and the Rockies are incomparably better than the Cascades, for what that's worth. And Denver is indeed a large city, if a bit of a cowtown.
Odd how two people can come to such opposite conclusions about Denver. Denver "country" in spots? You couldn't be talking about the actual city of Denver. Denver is much more dense than Midwestern cities and while the light rail system isn't the greatest, it's still under construction. When built out, Denver will have a good light rail system. I live and work in the actual city of Denver and if you want an urban lifestyle, just live in the city... not on the edge of Thornton! And Denver's "liberalness" is a positive aspect of this city for me. I certainly wouldn't characterize the Denver metro area as a conservative cowtown lol! Sounds more like Cheyenne to me.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:52 PM

8,342 posts, read 9,813,890 times
I moved to the SLC area specifically for the outdoor recreation. Within 20 minutes of my house (I live in the canyon foothills) are 3 fantastic ski resorts, 6 within an hour. From downtown you'd have 4 great resorts within a 30 to 40 minute drive. Near limitless hiking, backpacking, and rock climbing options, as well as mountaineering, within a short distance, in the Wasatch range that rings the city. This allows for plenty of time to go for a hike hike after work as well as full weekends. Lots of mountain biking all over this place also. Plus there's fantastic slickrock trails 2 hours south near Moab. And in southern Utah there's so many hiking and backpacking options to explore, most of which can yield complete isolation. Grand Gulch, Escalante in the south are a couple of my favs. In the north I love the High Uintas for rugged alpine backpacking.

Plus Yellowstone, the Tetons and another favorite of mine, the stunning Wind River range, are within a 6 hour or so drive making for great weekend hiking getaways.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:09 AM

606 posts, read 825,399 times
Blah bla, blah bla, blah bla, blah.

5 pages of conjecture, 2 or 3 posts with stats.
Another day online, it seems.

Part of finding the perfect outdoorsy town (aren't all cities outdoors?)
is not having to share it with millions of transplants. As such...
I doubt you'll find people, like me, who've found heaven, and
are willing to swing wide the gates to let the rabble in.

If we can help it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.