Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM

38 posts, read 59,377 times

Advertisements

Considering moving from Idaho - somewhere that gets very very cold winters (ice, snow) to somewhere warmer with mild winters. Having a hard time deciding where to go. Is the Southwest too hot? Is the South too humid?

It's a big decision. Right now we are ruling out California for many reasons which is too bad because they have great weather. We are wanting somewhere decent enough to raise a family and not crime-ridden. But due to some job possibilities - being near a big city might have to be what happens.

We have it narrowed down to Arizona, Texas, and Hawaii (although cost of living is a huge factor that might rule out Hawaii). My husband is afraid we'd grow tired of the rain in the South although I loved the Chattanooga area. I'm also open to other states/cities that we might not have considered.

Have you made a similar move? Did you regret your choice? How did you decide where to go weather-wise? Climate actually has become a big factor for us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

20 posts, read 38,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madetomom View Post
Considering moving from Idaho - somewhere that gets very very cold winters (ice, snow) to somewhere warmer with mild winters. Having a hard time deciding where to go. Is the Southwest too hot? Is the South too humid?

It's a big decision. Right now we are ruling out California for many reasons which is too bad because they have great weather. We are wanting somewhere decent enough to raise a family and not crime-ridden. But due to some job possibilities - being near a big city might have to be what happens.

We have it narrowed down to Arizona, Texas, and Hawaii (although cost of living is a huge factor that might rule out Hawaii). My husband is afraid we'd grow tired of the rain in the South although I loved the Chattanooga area. I'm also open to other states/cities that we might not have considered.

Have you made a similar move? Did you regret your choice? How did you decide where to go weather-wise? Climate actually has become a big factor for us.

Thanks!
We're considering moving from Chicago. One of the reasons being weather, but it's not the only reason. Jobs, diverse and more mexican culture, wide open spaces, big skies, more affordable housing, maybe schools (but I'm a teacher and would have no problem home schooling my growing children).

If we decide to move away from Chicago, we've narrowed our picks to San Antonio, TX or Albuquerque, NM ... The weather in that part of NM is AMAZING! I've never been to San Antonio, but we have family down there. I have been to Dallas. I thought I would die from heat and I remember it looking so ordinary and drab. This was in 1993-ish... and I was 11. hahaha!! What did I know?

We had thought of Phoenix for family being there, and weather. Interestingly, I have ONLY been to AZ in the dead of summer. hahaha..the heat was craaaaaazy, but I kinda liked it! Maybe because of the lack of humidity?? The nights during the summer in AZ (I was in Chandler) were warm, but comfortable. I did hear in the city the concrete can really hold the heat in. I did get a heat rash and my eyes were always dry. dry dry skin! But lotion up and you'll be fine The only thing that would make me think twice me about the southwest are the scorpions/snakes. Oh and the fire ants are outchy!! I hear there are centipedes in NM (AZ?) ... GIANT ones! I hate bugs! hahaha!! I guess I'm used to the bugs here in Chicago. Yeah, bugs shouldn't be a factor in picking...and maybe that makes me girly.

Albuquerque, NM has all seasons (I like!). the winters are mild - compared to Chicago. I like that even more! I've been on the outskirts back in 2010. I loved the nature, but I remember thinking the streets/buildings looked kinda gritty. Actually reminded me of the south side of Chicago a little bit, even the part I live in East Chicago/Gary IN... It wasn't the "prettiest" in terms of not being "new" ....but then, I hear that's not uncommon? I never explored the whole place because we just drove through. Even tho it was a little "run down" looking in the parts I saw...it didn't turn me off - I don't want to judge a place based on just driving thru. I want to go back and see more!! Because 90% of the things I hear about Albuquerque/Santa Fe are positive!! Most of the residents can't say enough about it. I wouldn't let people scare you about "crime" in Albuquerque...there's crime everywhere. Heck, where I live...it's common.

I lived in all parts of Arkansas as an older child and preteen. I can say from that part of the south, the heat/humidity is terrible, but like all places..you get used to it I still have close friends down there. They don't like the lack of organic grocery/food choices in their area of Ft. Smith/Paris...

I've been to Tennessee. I liked it for the most part (the nature part), but I only went to tourist spots and never really met with locals But as far as the south, I really can't say what the true differences are between the states there because I only "drove thru" hahaha.... I've been to FL. hot I have family in Orlando. They love it, and they work for Disney and surrounding parks as entertainment. I've never researched the area and never considered really moving there. Hurricanes freak me out. Give me a Chicago blizzard over a hurricane.

Well, that's my story I hope that helped a little bit....

Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Spain and Italy are very nice.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Come to Texas, DFW is lower humidity if that concerns you. We get enough winter weather to remember why you moved South but not enough to slow down your golf game. Jobs and cost of living are appealing to compared to Chicago I would venture.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 PM

896 posts, read 1,168,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Come to Texas, DFW is lower humidity if that concerns you. We get enough winter weather to remember why you moved South but not enough to slow down your golf game. Jobs and cost of living are appealing to compared to Chicago I would venture.
DFW has some of the worst weather in the country, would definitely suggest ABQ better, plus they have great Mexican food, and get this they even put green chili on it, how much better can it get?

Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Quote:
If you ask me, I'd much rather raise my kids in California than Texas or Arizona. Not all of California is crime ridden nor is it a bad place to raise children. People tend to think this because of the stupid media. Look at San Diego, low crime and great for kids, not nearly as polluted as the LA area. Cost of living is really high though.
I second whoever mentioned Albuquerque, if you're willing to put up with a little snow in the winter for what is generally a mild climate.
Keep in mind Texas has very long summers, I know this sounds appealing at first considering your desire for warmer weather, but it will get to you very quickly trust me, especially since it's humid in much of the state. And as you said you don't like rain, parts of Texas get a lot of rain much of the year, with Houston being the 6th wettest major city in the country. I'm assuming you ruled out Florida for the same reason you've ruled out California, which seems fair as Florida has some of the worst public schools in the nation.
Since you're going to be living in urban areas, and if you end up in Arizona, Phoenix or Tucson would be your places. Again, the summers are long, but the heat is drier so it could be more tolerable. Also Arizona has really bad public schools from what I've heard. It's mostly a place for retired people as is Florida.

Personally I can't stand hot weather. I grew up in Oregon and was dragged to Orange County by my parents, planning to leave within the next few years. I find cold weather easier to tolerate because you can decide how hot or cold you want to be by the amount of clothes you put on, whereas with heat there's not escaping it. I miss having rain and cold, but that's just me. I've come to realise over the years that I don't have a good threshold for hot weather, but I understand everyone's different.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
The southwest is great (one of my favorite regions of the country) but there are relatively few places that are career friendly. The big cities are where you'll need to look, and outside of California the big city is Phoenix. For a big city it's really not all that great for careers, but it's the best the SW has to offer, and you can probably find work there. Tucson is a good second option although it's a lot smaller than Phoenix.

Albuquerque has nice climate for those who don't mind a bit of snow, but it is SEVERAL steps down the career ladder compared to Arizona. Still, if you find a good job there it might be worth it. Santa Fe, NM is a great place to visit but is best left to the tourists. Jobs ANYWHERE in New Mexico just don't pay that much.

Outside of the SW, Austin is a pretty nice city though very humid and wet by western standards. It's also not bad for careers (better than NM or AZ), though COL there is the highest in Texas, and property taxes are outrageously high.

Dallas and Houston are very career friendly but they pretty much have southeastern rather than southwestern climates -- muggy, hot, and rainy. These two cities aren't exactly scenic, either, but they are very diverse and are international cities, unlike the other cities mentioned. I would put Dallas and Houston definitely in the "move there for the career" category and not the other way around. That said, from a visitor's perspective the big Texas cities are a bit underrated -- they get a lot of scorn around the country, and while they're not great, they do have a lot to offer.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Tucson is "cooler" than Phoenix metro. Maybe 6-7 degrees, but it makes a difference during the hottest of hot days. They also get a decent monsoon, rains to cool things off. Last year, we got the haboobs, which are big ol' dust storms without rain.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I'm assuming you ruled out Florida for the same reason you've ruled out California, which seems fair as Florida has some of the worst public schools in the nation.
Actually you're perpetuating misinformation through your own rants. Florida has one of the best public school systems in the US despite having low average per-student expenditures.

Education Week boots Florida schools from top 10 - Schools - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/12/2585904/florida-school-system-falls-out.html - broken link)

Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually you're perpetuating misinformation through your own rants. Florida has one of the best public school systems in the US despite having low average per-student expenditures.

Education Week boots Florida schools from top 10 - Schools - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/12/2585904/florida-school-system-falls-out.html - broken link)
Interesting, because so many people who live there have told me otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.