U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM

7,588 posts, read 9,442,547 times

Advertisements

I'll go with Boston, and the Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY capital region (remember the movie "Ironweed" ?). Both are very Irish Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM

3,794 posts, read 3,453,015 times
It may be totally irrelevant to the topic of this thread, but I'll throw this in just for fun:
According to a quick internet search, the following cities (city only, not suburban areas) have not one but TWO St. Patrick's Day Parades each year: Chicago, Buffalo, Dallas, St. Louis, and maybe Boston. New York City has several-- possibly five or more. If I've left anyone out, my bad.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Just as I suspected: the Midwest and Northeast. I'm surprised that Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Cincinnati didn't mimick this trend.
Cincinnati's German ancestry is still huge, with some Irish and Italians thrown in just to mix things up a bit.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,594,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NYC has the most actually but a lower percentage

Philly actually the second most but a slightly lower percentage when compared to Boston

Boston has the highest percentage among these (a little higher than Philly) but the smallest population in total.

These are likely the three largest cities in terms of population though

File:Irish1346.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Exactly what I was going to say. This is true because the stats back it up

Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 AM

48 posts, read 53,855 times
Not sure population wise, but Scranton is known for being an Irish city. Look up ethnicity maps of Pa by county. The whole state is German except Luzerne county (polish) and Lackawanna county (Irish).

Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
San Francisco used to be massively Irish up until the 1960s. Its down to about 8 or 9% now. White flight/suburbanization kind of dispersed them throughout the Bay Area. Still, its a pretty heavily Irish region. I would guess they're still the largest white group in the Bay Area.
In fact, I believe "The Castro" was a largely Irish n'hood until the 60s.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,386,914 times
Of course, if you want to consider the so-called Scotch-Irish Protestants from Ulster as Irish (and that is where they lived for a couple of generations after moving from Scotland and England) then the upper South is overwhelmingly full of Irish people. Think Andrew Jackson.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 AM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Of course, if you want to consider the so-called Scotch-Irish Protestants from Ulster as Irish (and that is where they lived for a couple of generations after moving from Scotland and England) then the upper South is overwhelmingly full of Irish people. Think Andrew Jackson.
They aren't really Irish because few of them have intermarried with catholics.
Scotch-Irish are more like Scottish or northern English.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,386,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
They aren't really Irish because few of them have intermarried with catholics.
Scotch-Irish are more like Scottish or northern English.
I agree with that, but on the other hand I used to work in Chicago with a guy from England (who has since returned there) who was mystified as to why the American Scotch-Irish weren't considered Irish. He said that they may be Protestant but they are Irish. I said that wasn't how they were viewed in America.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:23 PM

349 posts, read 606,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I agree with that, but on the other hand I used to work in Chicago with a guy from England (who has since returned there) who was mystified as to why the American Scotch-Irish weren't considered Irish. He said that they may be Protestant but they are Irish. I said that wasn't how they were viewed in America.
I can understand why he said that. Today, Scotch-Irish consider themselves as Irish in Northern Ireland because it's been several generations that they're in Ireland. While Scotch-Irish American only stay in Northern Ireland for 3 or 4 generations before they came to America. They were considered as Irish when they came but after the immigration of Irish catholics in the 19th century, they were called Scotch-Irish because people want to separated both.

I don't really know if most Scotch-Irish consider themselves Scottish, Irish or maybe both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or