U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think the rest of the US perceives us Orlandians
Those people are nuts! 8 28.57%
They're probably normal, just a few more nuts than most cities 6 21.43%
They're all nice people, the media just hates Florida 1 3.57%
People actually live in Orlando? I thought Orlando was just theme parks! 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 12,455,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I catch a ribbing sometimes from my family out of state but at the same time they're still trying to move down here. The sense I get is that they think alot of crazy things happen in Orlando, but it doesn't happen to regular people, as I nor any of the other people they know down here have ever experienced the craziness. And when they call, for everything bad in the news here, they tell me it's just as bad there...hence that's why they wanna move here. The reality is people only care about their little world, so my family in New England who sees the national news might giggle at us from time to time, but in the end there more concerned about the local news in there area. It's just weird for us because we see it on our local news and on the national cable news networks, but really, it's entertainment to anyone who doesn't live in Orlando.
As far as national news goes, as long as it doesn't happen here I dont worry about it too much. But thats why I posted this thread, Central FL has been in the news so much lately that it has made me wonder

Its funny my father would comment every time California made national news (he was a staunch Republican who HATED CA politics) and if there was a wildfire, earthquake, or something else that put Cali in the national spotlight his comment always started with "What's wrong with those people...." and then he'd begin lamenting about how bad he thought California was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I catch a ribbing sometimes from my family out of state but at the same time they're still trying to move down here. The sense I get is that they think alot of crazy things happen in Orlando, but it doesn't happen to regular people, as I nor any of the other people they know down here have ever experienced the craziness. And when they call, for everything bad in the news here, they tell me it's just as bad there...hence that's why they wanna move here. The reality is people only care about their little world, so my family in New England who sees the national news might giggle at us from time to time, but in the end there more concerned about the local news in there area. It's just weird for us because we see it on our local news and on the national cable news networks, but really, it's entertainment to anyone who doesn't live in Orlando.

Somehow I don't think people across America find murdered children or people getting shot and killed for no reason as "entertainment".

Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,241,188 times
I voted the theme park one, as this question is what do you think other people think about it. Orlando is a lot like Jacksonville or Tampa, IMO. When people think Miami they think condos and scummy Cuban drug dealers. I think they just think of physical things when they think of the other three Florida metros-for Jacksonville it's the Jaguars, for Tampa it's beaches and (maybe) Ybor city, and for Orlando it's Disney, maybe Universal. Unless you're like my grandma and obsessed over the Casey Anthony trial, I doubt many people ever have the thought of "what people in Orlando are like" cross their minds.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,232,832 times
I always figured people from Orlando were normal residents who just wished Disney World would pack up and move so they could claim the uninformed tourist's undivided attention and present other aspects of their city. One old-timer from there that I talked to said that the maddening arrivals of tourists when Disney World arrived was in short like being in a nitroglycerin plant while a dump truck was driving through it...invasive, too loud to ignore, and inconvenient

Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,950,251 times
I catch crazy amounts of hell from friends and people on other forums I read for leaving DC for Florida, yet I find that most of the time, the people raising hell live in miserable crapholes and are lashing out to feel better about the places they live.

Whatever.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 AM

364 posts, read 572,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Do you ever go up North? Not sure if it happens everywhere but in the MIdwest when I go visit relatives, being from Florida is like being a celebrity!
People even flock to me at funerals because I am the one from Florida. They have questions, want to share their stories of trips to Florida, and just act different around me than they dio with the rest of my family that lives there.
There seems to be a Florida envy in a lot of people

As for the negative things happening here.......do you read any papers from up North on a daily basis? I do. I check out stories in papers where my family lives and guess what.....they have murders, drugs, drug deals gone bad, car accidents, family beatings, bank robberies, dog bites that kill, kids getting run over by lawnmowers, teens shooting at teens etc. etc. just like down here. So Floridians can have just as many negative ideas about places up North-even little farm towns in the Midwest.
Sounds like you're acquainted with people that don't get out much. I've been to Florida many times, and Orlando twice. I actually found Orlando underwhelming given the hype that it receives. I will admit, it was just my gf and I visiting, and Orlando seems geared more towards families. I just found it too suburban for my tastes, not to mention too hot and humid. There were some very gorgeous women in Orlando however....good God!

Even though I've been to Orlando, I still perceive it as a place just "full of theme parks" although I know that is not the case. As for Orlandians, I perceive them to be suburban transplants from Northern states. I know neither is entirely true, but I still have that perception ingrained in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.